• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPad

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
Er, are you sure they were mocking the app switcher, and not the idea of allowing multiple full apps to run simultaneously? I'm not sure why they would slag on an interface for switching apps... I mean, how else would you switch apps??

This is a given. My point was that they're not just allowing every app to run all the time... it's a very controlled implementation of "multitasking." (Perhaps "background processes" would be a more accurate term.)

I'm waiting for aqhong and others who were defending Apple's previous choice not to implement multi-tasking for a variety of reasons to now turn the corner and explain why this version is the best thing since sliced bread. The reality is that the failure to implement it previously was a flaw. Even now, it's only implementable on the newest iphone due to a lack of sufficient memory on previous ones. I stand by my earlier assertion that the hardware wasn't sufficient to "flip a switch" and enable multi-tasking which is why we have the limited version that has been released.

I get that "you people" to borrow a term from earlier in the thread, think that Apple is incapable of wrong, but let's try to remove the 1984 element of fanboyism ("we are friends with eurasia, we have always been friends with eurasia") to creep into the discussion when Apple finally does go back and correct things that were obvious flaws before. All of the theoretical arguments made previously in support of Apple's decision have now been disproved. This wasn't the result of some stroke of genius not made possible until last week, this was something that could have been done earlier but for Apple's (i) inability to executed it on the hardware, or (ii) inability to realize it was a useful feature. It wasn't to protect the users from themselves.

Also, for what it's worth, my brother is convinced that the real reason Apple won't support flash is because they don't want anyone to have the ability to release apps that aren't through Apple's store, so any type of environment (aka java, flash) where you have broad enough programming capability to run an app remotely, will not be supported by Apple. This makes a lot more sense to me than Apple fighting the flash monopoly. Think about it, you submit an app to Apple, it gets denied so you reimplement it as a flash or java website.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UnFacconable
I'm waiting for aqhong and others who were defending Apple's previous choice not to implement multi-tasking for a variety of reasons to now turn the corner and explain why this version is the best thing since sliced bread.
I already did: It's not "multi-tasking" in the desktop OS sense, it's a limited set of APIs (audio, VOIP, location services, etc.) that can run in the background to provide the effective functionality of multitasking without the stability/performance/battery life issues of "true" (i.e. full apps running simultaneously) multitasking. The rest of your post isn't even worth a rebuttal. I'm a fanboy, everything I say is obviously biased by my love of Apple, I get it. Moving on.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yawn. Just jailbreak your phone or maxipad or whatever the apple device and voila, instant multitasking. I would be embarrassed to be an iPhone/iPad user without jailbreaking. It is a very poor device otherwise.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Yawn. Just jailbreak your phone or maxipad or whatever the apple device and voila, instant multitasking. I would be embarrassed to be an iPhone/iPad user without jailbreaking. It is a very poor device otherwise.

I'm still using the 2G and the only two reasons I have it jailbroken are for Backgrounder and SBSettings cause the lack of multitasking and the idiocy of how many clicks it takes to turn on wifi or BT or even adjust screen brightness is ridiculous.

There are probably a bunch of other reasons e.g. I know people use 3G unrestrictor or whatever it's called and Winterboard or 5 icon dock.

I've always agreed with that opinion. Well sort of. It's not really a poor device otherwise but it's not nearly as good as it could be without Apple's ridiculous controls.

Oh yeah, I use the Google Voice app too.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UnFacconable
Also, for what it's worth, my brother is convinced that the real reason Apple won't support flash is because they don't want anyone to have the ability to release apps that aren't through Apple's store, so any type of environment (aka java, flash) where you have broad enough programming capability to run an app remotely, will not be supported by Apple. This makes a lot more sense to me than Apple fighting the flash monopoly. Think about it, you submit an app to Apple, it gets denied so you reimplement it as a flash or java website.

This is not a new argument and it's just another take why Apple is so ridiculous about their App store.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/08/ste...-a-Appreciation-store/

Okay, so the above article (which is just the latest one I've read on this topic) is about Appreciation but the relevant part is this:

The real reason that Apple won't allow for unsigned apps? They want to maintain full control over the iPhone, in part to ensure that it's a nice, clean environment. And also so that they can block applications from their competitors, like they've done to Google.
It's also about the $$$$$. As are all things in life I guess.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely love the form factor. The thing is gorgeous. Very tactile. No WiFi issues. The speed is blazing so is the screen scrolling/resize/pinch. Totally first class. Cannot download apps as the iTunes Store is not ready in Canada. Basically, love at first sight/touch. More later.
iPad1.jpg
iPad2.jpg
iPad3.jpg
iPad4.jpg
iPad5.jpg

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate Flash. Can Flash be removed from the internet? I don't want any computer to be able to show it actually. I do not want to watch a giant advertisement movie on my screen every time I load a website. Even when you try to hide the Flash, it's not fool proof. When amex ran their ads on the nytimes site last week, I had my computer slow down or I couldn't click on links I wanted. Just awful. So if we can watch videos without the use of Flash, I am all for it.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
I hate Flash. Can Flash be removed from the internet? I don't want any computer to be able to show it actually. I do not want to watch a giant advertisement movie on my screen every time I load a website. Even when you try to hide the Flash, it's not fool proof. When amex ran their ads on the nytimes site last week, I had my computer slow down or I couldn't click on links I wanted. Just awful. So if we can watch videos without the use of Flash, I am all for it.
? If you hate it, just uninstall it. Luckily for you, you can actually uninstall an Adobe application if you don't like it without it completely hosing your system. Good luck trying to do that with any Apple software lol. <iTunes 4 Lyfe!!! (or at least the life of your partition lol)> And for those who want Flash, just wait for the Tegra. Probably going to be superior in every way to this toy. And besides, I'd take the garbage thrown at me from Flash over Quicktime garbage any day of the week.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
? If you hate it, just uninstall it. Luckily for you, you can actually uninstall an Adobe application if you don't like it without it completely hosing your system. Good luck trying to do that with any Apple software lol. <iTunes 4 Lyfe!!! (or at least the life of your partition lol)> And for those who want Flash, just wait for the Tegra. Probably going to be superior in every way to this toy. And besides, I'd take the garbage thrown at me from Flash over Quicktime garbage any day of the week.
And if it's uninstalled, will my browser still download the files every time I log onto a site with a flash ad? Regardless, I can't uninstall anything on my work computer - I don't have access to that. It would just be nice to not have ads in flash or to be given an option before something downloads. I don't go to random websites that just load up my itunes because of some ad. Not sure where you're finding those...must be a weird linux thing.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, when I don't have flash and visit a site that requires it, it prompts me to go get it, not automatically install it. (that's w/ Windows and Linux...never used a Mac, can't comment on how it handles one not having a plugin, but automatically installing any plugin sounds just scary)

Also, my point about iTunes wasn't that websites open it. It was that you can't remove it without breaking your Windows installation. Same with Quicktime.

FYI there is no iTunes for Linux. Rhythmbox syncs just fine w/ an iPod for those who have one. But I doubt most *n*x users are going to buy an mp3 player that doesn't allow you to just drag and drop files in a window manager.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And if it's uninstalled, will my browser still download the files every time I log onto a site with a flash ad? Regardless, I can't uninstall anything on my work computer - I don't have access to that. It would just be nice to not have ads in flash or to be given an option before something downloads.

I don't go to random websites that just load up my itunes because of some ad. Not sure where you're finding those...must be a weird linux thing.

facepalm.gif

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
Er, are you sure they were mocking the app switcher, and not the idea of allowing multiple full apps to run simultaneously? I'm not sure why they would slag on an interface for switching apps... I mean, how else would you switch apps?? This is a given. My point was that they're not just allowing every app to run all the time... it's a very controlled implementation of "multitasking." (Perhaps "background processes" would be a more accurate term.)
Can't say for certain since the first generation of the software didn't have the ability to run simultaneous programs, so maybe they were mocking the ability to multitask and/or the task manager. However, I do enjoy this new quote about the iPhone's new task switcher: Q: How do you close applications when multitasking? A: (Scott Forstall) You don't have to. The user just uses things and doesn't ever have to worry about it. A: (Steve Jobs) It's like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager... they blew it. Users shouldn't ever have to think about it. Awesome! So each time I start a program, it will keep running because I can't close it!
facepalm.gif
Don't worry, with the new iAds and HTML5, you can get all those full screen video ads without using Flash at all.
laugh.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Can't say for certain since the first generation of the software didn't have the ability to run simultaneous programs, so maybe they were mocking the ability to multitask and/or the task manager. However, I do enjoy this new quote about the iPhone's new task switcher:

Q: How do you close applications when multitasking?
A: (Scott Forstall) You don't have to. The user just uses things and doesn't ever have to worry about it.
A: (Steve Jobs) It's like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager... they blew it. Users shouldn't ever have to think about it.

Awesome! So each time I start a program, it will keep running because I can't close it!
facepalm.gif

Don't worry, with the new iAds and HTML5, you can get all those full screen video ads without using Flash at all.
laugh.gif

God, I hate Apple so much. Why does the (jailbroken) iPhone have to be so good? Ugh......

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
God, I hate Apple so much. Why does the (jailbroken) iPhone have to be so good? Ugh......
I'll give Apple this....my coworker who has an iPhone got an app that uses the motion sensor to count pushups for you. Pretty damn sweet. Made me envious counting my pushups the old fashioned analog way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads