• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Madras Shirt thread

Astan

Reaction score
I find JC to be a bit on the large size actually. I bought a bunch of Larges back in the day only to come to the realization that they are actually too big, much wasting of monies. /sadface. Honestly, try it in-store.

Edit: 42 chest btw

Martin Stall

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats

Originally, they were all vegetable dyed (that tended to fade and bleed with washing).

One of my clients, who used to visit India, often jokes about how they sometimes don't get it quite right. He once bought a shirt which had a label stating: "Fast Colour" (as opposed to: "colour-fast" which means the colours don't fade or bleed.) When he asked the seller what it meant, he received a broad smile and was told: "Yes sahib, these colours, they run very fast".

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Astan
I find JC to be a bit on the large size actually. I bought a bunch of Larges back in the day only to come to the realization that they are actually too big, much wasting of monies. /sadface. Honestly, try it in-store. Edit: 42 chest btw
Same here, they fit quite large. I have to size down with JC.

ville_e

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Astan
I find JC to be a bit on the large size actually. I bought a bunch of Larges back in the day only to come to the realization that they are actually too big, much wasting of monies. /sadface. Honestly, try it in-store.

Edit: 42 chest btw

Were they unwearable or just baggy?

I am a chest 42 as well. Neck 15.5.. according to their sizing chart I should be an L but I'm a bit unsure if I should go for the L or the M. I'm afraid the M will be too small.

Astan

Reaction score
The large was a just little baggy but, honestly, it didnt look that good on me being that baggy. If you can't buy it in person in finland and youre forced to order online... hmmm without knowing your body type it might be hard but i would go Medium.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ville_e
Were they unwearable or just baggy?

I am a chest 42 as well. Neck 15.5.. according to their sizing chart I should be an L but I'm a bit unsure if I should go for the L or the M. I'm afraid the M will be too small.

My measurements are almost identical, though chest is more like a 40 and I just snagged two of the JC madras in medium. They are slim without being tight and a great deal for $60.

yossi

Reaction score
I picked up a few madras shirts at the J Press sale that happened in New York the other week. The shirts are beautiful, but are also, let's say, billowy. (I know they aren't meant to be worn too close, but this seems excessive - I was surprised as they are marked a medium, and I'm a 16.5/34. Anyway.)

Can they be tailored, or is the material too fine?

Thanks in advance, and my apologies if this is asked and answered already - I did a search and came up with nothing, but I'm new here, as you'll note.

scribbles

Reaction score
Can anyone make a few recommendations for quality madras shirts under $150 (preferably with a slimmer fit) that arent made by JC, LLB, LE...?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scribbles
Can anyone make a few recommendations for quality madras shirts under $150 (preferably with a slimmer fit) that arent made by JC, LLB, LE...?

Gitman Vintage and Gant Hugger are both excellent options.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scribbles

I don't know how good they are, but Brooks Brothers madras comes in slim fit.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I met yesterday with a fellow who sources fabric in India.
we discussed importing madras.
we even discussed sourcing madras with Vegetable dyes. "bleeding madras"

I will keep everyone updated

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
I met yesterday with a fellow who sources fabric in India.
we discussed importing madras.
we even discussed sourcing madras with Vegetable dyes. "bleeding madras"

I will keep everyone updated

worship.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
I just got my favourite madras shirt ever at Uniqlo for 30 Dollars. Check it out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads