• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Madras Shirt thread

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hidden in my bag (picture was taken for a different purpose, sorry) are some O`Connell´s NOS pants in bleeding madras:

And here is a vintage BB bleeding madras shirt that I found, of all places, at a street market in Bangkok:

pogo

Reaction score
Heads up: all Lands End Madras shirts on sale now - including long sleeve.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in going in on an order for madras shirtings from this company? They require a 30-40 yard minimum (it can be mix and match, doesn't have to be 30-40 yards of the same fabric), and I only need 4-6. (Use the link menu at the left to see all the fabrics)

The quality here is kind of crappy, to be honest, but the price cheap. From memory, I think it's something like $5 a yard. But they have a wide selection, and I think some would make for fun, custom shirts.

FWIW, I've found much better madras through Rosen & Chadick in NYC, but they're more expensive at ~$20-25 a yard, and their stock is both limited and fluctuating. Sometimes they have nice patterns in, sometimes not.

(cross posting in Unfunded Liabilities thread)

Last edited:

aucociscokid

Reaction score
I, too, would wish to source "bleeding" madras by-the-yard. Good - not poor - quality. Don't mind paying. Thanks.

Last edited:

aucociscokid

Reaction score
Looking to source "bleeding" Madras fabric by-the-yard/meter at retail for MTM men's "Bermudas." Am knowledgeable re: Atlantis and Rosen and Chadick. By reputation one is superior. Any sources in India itself? Any "proxys?" Thanks.

aucociscokid

Reaction score
I may know where to obtain "bleeding" madras; the authentic, "real McCoy." Non-colorfast. The type which was available in the 1960s and which hasn't been produced in Chennai (which was Madras) since.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I may know where to obtain "bleeding" madras; the authentic, "real McCoy." Non-colorfast. The type which was available in the 1960s and which hasn't been produced in Chennai (which was Madras) since.

It still is produced in very small numbers on "handlooms", but only produced on order with pretty high minimums. They no longer produce and distribute stock though. Dyes are still made using vegetable dyes. The older stuff used 60' Singles and was silky. The stuff they churn out now is using 40's for the most part, good but not great.

One our our suppliers keeps dead stock bolts in his showroom that he refuses to sell and I have to sit and just admire it every time I see it.

aucociscokid

Reaction score
40s x 40s – Reed 72, Picks 72 and 40s warp with 60s weft single. Good? Silky? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads