• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CdG Kyoto today...

cdgparfuemsincensekyoto.jpg

Now looking for something that is like a higher quality, non-chemical Cool Water. Bvlgari Blu didn't cut it.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coldsnap
Got Bvlgari Aqva in the mail today and I am a happy man. Thanks for the multiple people who suggested it. I've been working out a lot and using all natural deodorant... It's good to smell decent now.

Yea no problem man, Master-Classter recommended this too and he knows his stuff when it comes to fragrance. Glad you like it!

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Oh yea, almost forgot... Today I'm trying a layering effect with YSL L'Homme and the original Bvlgari scent on top. Hard to describe but if any of you guys have both of these I would recommend giving it a shot. I did two sprays of YSL and one of Bvlgari and it has developed very nicely throughout the day.

boo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by akatsuki
....Now looking for something that is like a higher quality, non-chemical Cool Water. Bvlgari Blu didn't cut it.

If you mean smell like Cool Water literally, then it would have to be Creed GIT (I hear someone's selling some on B&S
tongue.gif
) or Bond No 9 Chez Bond.

On an unrelated note, I met with the Bond No 9 founder today. I bought small bottle of Bleecker St and got a bunch of samples. She mentioned that they would be coming out with a tobacco/leather scent in September that I really look forward to.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ice*Men today. Might be the only Thierry Mugler scent I don't like. Just smelles like dirty sweaty patchouli, not really fresh or "icy".

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
If you mean smell like Cool Water literally, then it would have to be Creed GIT (I hear someone's selling some on B&S
tongue.gif
) or Bond No 9 Chez Bond.

On an unrelated note, I met with the Bond No 9 founder today. I bought small bottle of Bleecker St and got a bunch of samples. She mentioned that they would be coming out with a tobacco/leather scent in September that I really look forward to.

Thanks for the pointer on the GIT. Bought it.

Any suggestions for something similar to the long-gone Fresh Tobacco Flower scent?

Gelsomino

Reaction score
Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier: Jardin du Nil

A musky floral to welcome the warmer air.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
A "rugged" vanilla describes exactly what I've been looking for. I'll have to give that a shot as well.
Got a few samples of that ready for the swap box too...
CdG Kyoto today...
Now looking for something that is like a higher quality, non-chemical Cool Water. Bvlgari Blu didn't cut it.

Oohh, like that one. just smelled it a few weeks ago and it made me nod my head over and over again. Would love to try some of that at some point.
As Jack Johnson would say, "sitting , wishing, waiting"
Originally Posted by Motorsport226
Yea no problem man, Master-Classter recommended this too and he knows his stuff when it comes to fragrance. Glad you like it!
Well... I'm pretty new at this stuff, just got into it about 6 months ago and it's been quite a learning curve but if I know anything it's just how very little I know compared to others. Guys like Thomas and Big Pun and especially Rach2j and others have been doing this stuff for years. But thanks, just trying to give what I can.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today, trying to pull together a review of Sushi Imperiale, and it's a mildly frustrating scent. It's listed as an oriental - which generally means spicy/herbal (nutmeg/patchouli), but this one's also fruity, boozy, and powdery. I'd say it's bottle-worthy, except for its outlandish expense.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Today, trying to pull together a review of Sushi Imperiale, and it's a mildly frustrating scent. It's listed as an oriental - which generally means spicy/herbal (nutmeg/patchouli), but this one's also fruity, boozy, and powdery. I'd say it's bottle-worthy, except for its outlandish expense.

Yea, $180 a bottle is a little ridiculous IMO

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Motorsport226
Yea, $180 a bottle is a little ridiculous IMO

It kills me what some of these scents are going for these days. Chanel is a bargain compared to some of the new stuff out there: By Killian, Tom Ford PB, Le Labo. And Guerlain's restricted lines (Le Parisienne, historical re-issues) are borderline comical in their asking prices.

boo

Reaction score
Today I'm sampling Memoire Liquide's Encens Liquide EdP. Smells like Amber Absolute on a "budget" ($90 for 50ml, IIRC), but Amber Absolute might be a tad deeper/darker. One of these day's I'll try wearing them side by side to compare. I had never heard of them, and apparently they have a boutique at Bloomingdales where they will custom blend a scent for you from hundreds of different scents. This happens to be one of their pre-blended scents. I kind of regret going with it today. It made a depressing, cloudy, rainy day even more depressing. Should have gone with something more upbeat.

I'll admit I would never think to sample a fragrance with "Sushi" in the name. Not a big fan of raw fish notes
laugh.gif

Thanks for the pointer on the GIT. Bought it.

Any suggestions for something similar to the long-gone Fresh Tobacco Flower scent?

I'm not familiar with Fresh Tabacco Flower, but the name alone makes me think of Versace Dreamer, from which I get a sweet floral tobacco.

It kills me what some of these scents are going for these days. Chanel is a bargain compared to some of the new stuff out there: By Killian, Tom Ford PB, Le Labo. And Guerlain's restricted lines (Le Parisienne, historical re-issues) are borderline comical in their asking prices.

I hate to admit it, but it does help draw me to them. I can't resist the aura of exclusivity that a high price tag brings. I am totally a marketing department's dream come true
frown.gif

Motorsport226

Reaction score

+1, I would love to get into some more higher end scents like those, but for less than half the price I'm fine with YSL, Chanel, Bvlgari etc.

I just don't think they're even close to being worth the price difference, some I've found don't even have a nice smell to them at all.

That being said, I would still love to try a sample of Sushi Imperiale. Anyone know where I can find one?

cheyrou

Reaction score
The three scents I use:
L'occitan verbena: such a good buy its like 45usd for 2.8 oz.
John Varvatos Artisan: really nice gourmand family scent
Dolce & Gabana Light Blue: for women not the bro-scent

I used to wear Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men, it initially smelt wonderful, choclate, szechouan pepper, but it has aged terribly. I left in a cool dark place, but still, today it smells like burnt sugar and baby powder.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Terre d'Hermes today. I think of this as a year-round fragrance, but I find myself reaching for it most often in the spring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads