• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

relax99

Reaction score
I agree on the stantons, I'm working on boning up my s/s wardrobe so I need some nice slim fit chino's to compliment my new bb oxfords so any opinions would be really helpful

SpacePirate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by relax99
I agree on the stantons, I'm working on boning up my s/s wardrobe so I need some nice slim fit chino's to compliment my new bb oxfords so any opinions would be really helpful
opinions would be wonderful since i live nowhere near a store and their website/catalog photos are sometimes a little off color wise.

netsua

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xanatos
I have those in the purple and blue and like them much.nice feel and thinner than the other heavier one they had. I'd recommend it for the price.

I'm thinkin about picking up the white ones for a good clean look. cant beat 50 bucks.

sadly, I live in Canada, so with shipping and taxes it comes to $75. the price is around the same as http://store.americanapparel.ca/rsacp400.html?cid=15#, I'm actually trying to decide between the two.

Blog Marley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guus
I like the Macalisters more but I have never tried on the Clarks. I bought the Desert Cougar and they are very comfortable.

Originally Posted by Blog Marley
i know this is
deadhorse-a.gif
but has there ever been a consensus on the difference between the clarks db and the macalister db? for some reason the macalister appeals to me more

anyone else?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think those JCrew desert boots look a little better then the Clark's, but the color selection is a little limiting.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blog Marley
anyone else?

the mcallisters are a little more luxe than the clarks boots. they're made in italy and imo feature a nicer suede, the crepe sole doesn't stand out as much as they do on the clarks. they also are a bit more pointed at the toebox than the clarks. however, the clarks actually have an insole so they are more comfortable for prolonged walking around in.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm a long-time dedicated Clarks fan, and I've had a chance to see and try on the Mcallisters. I frankly don't see or feel a whole lot of difference, but imo, the Mcallisters look and feel just a little less substantial. I don't see what's luxe about them.

aktao

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpacePirate
i do! i really like the blue and the orange, allow i cant make up my mind if i would rather get the shorts in those colors instead.

also, can anyone comment on if the british khaki color is much different than the khaki in the broken in chinos? it looks slightly more golden or like it has a honey-ish vibe to it to me.

I own british khaki in the classic fit broken in chino but not the khaki. My store has the honey brown color for the regular fit. British khaki is very similar to honey brown, though it seems to a lighter faded version of the honey brown. I haven't seen the khaki in person before but it seems to be a darker version of the faded chino color. So basically, the british khaki is just the khaki with a golden tint.

mmm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by netsua
sadly, I live in Canada, so with shipping and taxes it comes to $75. the price is around the same as http://store.americanapparel.ca/rsacp400.html?cid=15#, I'm actually trying to decide between the two.

If you change the shipping to Canada Post you might be able to avoid taxes, duties or both. It takes about the same amount of time as the ground shipping option but gives you a decent shot at saving some money.

vthustle

Reaction score
Been lurking for a little while, figured I'd make my first post here. And, my first ever J Crew purchase was made today, I think largely in part to this thread. I got the nailhead oxford and I must say, it seems like it's going to be worth the money. Especially since said money was going to be spent on spring break in Miami, but those plans fell through. Oh well, now I own a quality utility shirt.

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aerether
As I pretty much *just* scrape medium on their sizing charts, it looks like I'm going with that then
smile.gif
Thanks again for your help.

I would suggest size small. My stats are the same as yours and I take small for everything in J.crew.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another xpost from MC. These are the Officer's Chino in khaki, wish they would make these in colors other than khaki, khaki variants, and brown:

ch36540746.jpg

raptorrapture

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guus
The Cadet Jacket seems to have replaced "The Watch" as most talked about item.
I have the J. Crew watch - bought it about a year ago. It's been one of the best purchases I have made. It's incredibly versatile, I can dress it up or wear it with a pair of jeans and a polo.

I made sure to buy a few straps from J. Crew when they had their 2 for 20 sale. I think I have like 5 or 6 different straps for it. Anyway, anybody that's still on the fence about this item, don't be. It's a great purchase and it feels like a quality watch. It's metal (unlike the $30 plastic watches most of you recommended), has a nice crystal glass face that is fairly resistant to scratches. It keeps good time and when you pair it the right band with the right outfit, you'll get plenty of compliments (I have).

So, go for it! No regrets here. I wear the watch everyday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads