• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

dzynr78

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fallen Angels
if anyone owns the nailhead shirt and red chambray in a M or L, could you please post the shoulder to shoulder and pit to pit chest measurements? i'm trying to figure what size would work best for me, i don't own any jcrew shirts.

i need something with a 21-22" p-t-p and around 18" shoulder measurement

my nailhead, in a medium, measures about 18.5 across the shoulders and 21.5-22 across chest. i think it's because of the weight but it's the best fitting jcrew shirt i own. i put darts in almost all of my other jcrew shirts and this one still lays closest to my body. it's definaltely more fitted than the chambrays. but then again, imo, chambrays are supposed to fit slightly relaxed.

go get it! arguably one of the best shirts that jcrew has offered in some time.

seany

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a-rock
Caved in and bought the red chambray yesterday. I'm call it my sockeye shirt as that's really the best way to describe the color. Yeah it bugs that the shirt is far baggier but I'm wearing the shirt right now and it's about the most freakin' comfortable shirt I own.

The 25% linen does not make it scratchy and if anything I hope it means it'll shrink a bit when I wash and dry it.

Great little details like the selvage redline on the gussets, under the tabs where the hidden button-downs are, and under the buttons on the placket.

Maybe I'll get it tailored but maybe not because it's nice and comfortable as is. Hell, maybe it's meant to be worn this way. Geez, I feel like I'm in PJs.

They need to come out with pants in this material!

I found J.Crew shorts that fit me perfectly at a thrift store that is 45% linen 55% cotton. I am wearing them in the first "fit pics" of the chambray about 20 pages back or so.

Fallen Angels

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dzynr78
my nailhead, in a medium, measures about 18.5 across the shoulders and 21.5-22 across chest. i think it's because of the weight but it's the best fitting jcrew shirt i own. i put darts in almost all of my other jcrew shirts and this one still lays closest to my body. it's definaltely more fitted than the chambrays. but then again, imo, chambrays are supposed to fit slightly relaxed.

go get it! arguably one of the best shirts that jcrew has offered in some time.

That's exactly what i wanted to know, thanks!

seany

Reaction score
I love the nailhead and really wanted it when I first saw it, but I need a summer shirt and the chambray fit the bill. I am HOPEING the nailhead goes on sale at the end of summer for winter.

I think I was one of the first people to report on it, and its awesomeness. Thing is a serious shirt.

dragonxking

Reaction score
just received the red chambray in xs. fit is nice aside from the neck being too small (which is fine since I don't plan on buttoning it up that high). it's not as bad as some of you make it out to be. then again, it's not as great as some of you make it out to be either.

also received, 9" club shorts (in khaki and indigo/navy) for my short legs. sits right above the knee which is nice, and is slightly slimmer than the stanton or broken in chino shorts

Andrew V.

Reaction score
dragonxking, what 9" club shorts? I thought that all the club shorts were 11".

Andrew V.

Reaction score
Cool, thanks.

Do they have off-seam front pockets like the other club shorts, or on-seam like the 9" lightweight shorts from previous seasons?

dragonxking

Reaction score
not sure what on or off-seam pocket means. is there an advantage of one over the other?

dragonxking

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragonxking
not sure what on or off-seam pocket means. is there an advantage of one over the other?
flipped the shorts inside out and took a (crappy low light high noise) picture
rjgppv.jpg

9" lightweight club short

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the lightweight poplin shirts shrinking more than their standard cotton shirts?

hastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fallen Angels
no, it is not to generate demand and exclusivity, nor is it intentional. we're talking about a mall brand here.

I've really gotta disagree with this. Items show up on the site and are gone a week later because they're "out of stock". Are cotton shirts out of stock because they can't make enough, or because they are intentionally limiting supply to a certain (small) amount?

skyline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hastur
I've really gotta disagree with this. Items show up on the site and are gone a week later because they're "out of stock". Are cotton shirts out of stock because they can't make enough, or because they are intentionally limiting supply to a certain (small) amount?

^FWIW I believe I read somewhere awhile back that this was part of J.Crew's strategy in "remaking" their brand a couple of years ago. Close stores that weren't doing too well and not overproduce so things don't all end up on sales racks.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragonxking

It's hard to describe, but a sideview of the outside of the shorts would answer the question. I don't know if it's an advantage, but I have a preference for off-seam.

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
images_eiec_23_23861_23861_BR1160_tif_b5ab0bd37c6e18f4.jpg

Off seam. Though I checked the 11" inseam ones, some pics have on-seam, some have off-seam.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads