• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PHP. Side features would include selecting a colour and then matching a list of images with that colour and maybe some other features like doing a search for brands and items listed and then appending it to that image.

*******, I'll do it and use it myself if no one cares about it
tongue.gif
. I'll start today.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
dont know if the color feature would be very useful

extracting the listed items may be pretty hard considering people often write text along with the brands.
also, certain people like ryegb dont use lists (ala BrandA x BrandB x BrandC)

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
PHP. Side features would include selecting a colour and then matching a list of images with that colour and maybe some other features like doing a search for brands and items listed and then appending it to that image.

*******, I'll do it and use it myself if no one cares about it
tongue.gif
. I'll start today.

so, lookbook?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sq4you
i was thinking of doing something similar but to generate a histogram of who actually posts fit pics versus garbage talking.
that way we can see who actually contributes.
what language are you planning on doing it in?

Chinese.

Kent Money

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So PHP can be used to extract jpgs from website and aggregate them? I need to learn myself some PHP then!

Hear me out:
I just got several different substitute teaching jobs in several different school districts. However, I have to check a different website for each school to see if there are any assignments available, and each website requires a log in. What language can I use to script something that will automatically log into my accounts, extract the available assignments, and report them to me on a central page? I want it to do this every 30 minutes so that I can snag all the assignments before another sub does.

You know what I mean? any help is appreciated!

Kent Money

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
badass, thanks wag. I like the llama on the cover, too. Suiting for a llama like me. I heard that Ruby on Rails was a good language to learn on, do you have any recommendations for another useful, yet easy to learn language? Java?

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
are you on a mac? you could use Automator to script mouse movements and auto login to pages

wagthesam...you might want to consider using the SF RSS feature for SW&D. i think all posts appear in that. should be way easier than scraping html off the actual thread.

you have a public svn repo? i could add some features as well.

the best would actually be to just write a plugin for vBulletin that does all this each time a post is submitted.

another usful feature would be to automatically publish fitpic posts into WAYWT - Photos + Discussion and WAYWT - Photos simultaneously.
alas....if only we had real admins......

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Java is a terrible language to learn first. Just stay away, its a complex beast that is meant for very large projects. C++ still confuses a guy I met that did his thesis on it at a top cs research university.

Most programming languagese are meant for different things. Perl is very good for parsing and basic scripting. Python is probably what you should use if you want to learn a language that will be very versatile for both scripting and websites. Learning PHP first will make you a bad coder but it will get to where you want the fastest. Ruby is a very hyped up web programming language, ruby on rails is this toolset you use for it to develop web applications.

If you want to be a 1337 ass coder though, learn scheme and read Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs. Not useful at all however...

reprehensible

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
If you want to be a 1337 ass coder though, learn scheme and read Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs. Not useful at all however...

SICP will teach you many useful things. What it will not teach you is a language with convenient libraries for doing everyday stuff. No big loss, unless you're in a hurry to do something (poorly).

(I first learned to program by reading K&R, which is not an approach I'd necessarily recommend.)

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my formal intro to cs I first went HtDP and then to K&R. I knew several languages before and was blown away by how much I didn't know.

Smahatma

Reaction score
Going to try out a medium room at the Ace Hotel NY later this month. It's on sale at Jetsetter right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads