• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2010 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Thread

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes. Every country in the world is behind hungary in terms of a per capita basis. They are summer olympic machines. More medals are awarded at the summer olympics then the winter, and Canada is definitely not a summer-Olympic country. Hungary is the exception. I mean Australia (i assume) has many more summer gold medals then canada, but look at the climate difference. Given the population plus climate differences, I'm pretty happy with Canada.

As for Norway, they have amazing winter records. I've heard that they are responsible for introducing a large number of the winter olympic sports. (I have no idea if this is true, but interesting if so)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
You also have 3.6x as many people as Hungary and still trail that god-forsaken shithole by 60 medals.

Okay. Let me get this straight. First, you crow that the US has more medals that Canada, overall. Then, when it's pointed out that Canada has more medals per capita, your comeback is "Well, then, never mind us, Hungary is kicking your ass per capita, lolz?" Man, you suck.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
No. I pointed out total medal count, then they tried to say per capita medals were more important but neglected the fact that they Hungary's per capita rate is over 4 times theirs. Not to mention per capita medal counts are skewed because in some events a country can only bring so many competitors which skews the playing field in favor of smaller countries to grab lower medals.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
It should also be noted that a greater percentage of Canada's population can compete in both summer and winter games, while a much smaller percent of the U.S.'s population can compete in the winter games. Track and field events are the largest summer Olympic games group of medals to be won and Canadians are completely capable of practicing running, while Texans, Floridians, and large percentages of blacks in the south and eastern seaboard (who are the U.S.'s best athlete pool) don't have access to mountains and snow to ski on.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Disparity in the number of events between Summer and Winter Olympics aside, it seems like StephenHero, of all people, is heaving praises on the Communist be-all-end-all pursuit of Olympic medals as tokens of nationalism.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Yes, because those Soviet and East German medals were won fair and square.
laugh.gif

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by R-H
They should try the rink sports. Those can be played year round at an extremely high cost.
fyp. It's a bit costly to build and air condition hockey rinks during southern U.S. summers in a way that allows anything more than a small privileged circle of people enough exposure to play. But if roller hockey makes a return to prominence and becomes the national pasttime of the U.S. I have no doubt the U.S. would likely wipe the floor with Canadians.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
It's not too hard to understand. Ice time in most U.S. states is extremely expensive. It's not economically feasible to allow many Americans the opportunity to play hockey or speed skating. There isn't enough ice.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats to Canada. That was a great game! Definitely one of the best hockey games I've ever seen. I think I jumped 3 feet out of my seat cheering when Parise scored that goal. It was also nice seeing the Anaheim Ducks represented well in the medal games. Selanne and Koivu for Finland, Ryan for the US, and Neidermayer, Perry, Getzlaf, and Pronger (I'm considering him a Duck because I'm still bitter we traded him away and I can't go to the games and watch him anymore) for Canada.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
No. I pointed out total medal count, then they tried to say per capita medals were more important but neglected the fact that they Hungary's per capita rate is over 4 times theirs. Not to mention per capita medal counts are skewed because in some events a country can only bring so many competitors which skews the playing field in favor of smaller countries to grab lower medals.

Actually, the comparison you made was between Canada and the USA, so it was natural that the counter would be another comparison between these two countries that favored Canada. Bringing in Hungary was just... well, you suck.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Thanks for adding something to the conversation besides personal attacks.
laugh.gif
More specifically, thanks for addressing the discriminatory nature of the winter games which put the U.S. at a distinct disadvantage in per capita medals (except in the summer games where we have a near 10x higher medal count). Your analysis is breathtaking as usual.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads