• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
How are you serving it now? I remember the last time I had the caviar service there that it was done with some sort of potato, is it still? I prefer blini and a little sour cream, if you must. I think you can make the plate look good without forcing too many flavors on the diner. Danko does a good job with this.

Really, it is more of a problem for people who don't eat a lot of caviar. If they don't have much experience, and you give them stuff on the plate, they will use it, and maybe the caviar won't be as good as it should be.

You should post pics, or better, you should bring caviar to my house and we can experiment to see which preparation is best.
smile.gif

Anyway, I needed your help tomorrow, but now you have a real job, and I am SOL.

I have a picture of the plate, but I'll post it later as I'm running late for work. It's composed of 6 different cuts of compressed cucumber, meyer lemon cells, circulated egg yolk, chives, and creme fraiche powder.
RE: your second to last line, you provide the caviar and I'd be more than happy to come cook off blinis for hours
smile.gif

RE: Your LAST line-- was that about the dinner party? Fack. I wnated to do that.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I have a picture of the plate, but I'll post it later as I'm running late for work. It's composed of 6 different cuts of compressed cucumber, meyer lemon cells, circulated egg yolk, chives, and creme fraiche powder.
RE: your second to last line, you provide the caviar and I'd be more than happy to come cook off blinis for hours
smile.gif

RE: Your LAST line-- was that about the dinner party? Fack. I wnated to do that.

No. That isn't for awhile. I just needed some help moving some ****.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
our little kwilk, all growed up! congratulations.
i'm in the blini camp when it comes to caviar service. jeremiah tower had a great line about them needing to be so rich the butter ran down your arm (with jeremiah, probably into a frilled silk sleeve). but i'd be willing to try the compressed cucumber, too.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I haven't had caviar since a fine retreat thrown by a family business associate. And that was 5 years ago
frown.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
our little kwilk, all growed up! congratulations. i'm in the blini camp when it comes to caviar service. jeremiah tower had a great line about them needing to be so rich the butter ran down your arm (with jeremiah, probably into a frilled silk sleeve). but i'd be willing to try the compressed cucumber, too.
With some things there is not much room for improvement. Caviar with blinis is one of those things.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With some things there is not much room for improvement. Caviar with blinis is one of those things.

Always been too lazy to really investigate, but are they blinis or oladi? I faintly remember being drunk off a lot of Russian vodka at some cultural/embassy-type affair in DC and one of the Russian hostesses trying to explain to me they were serving the caviar with oladi and not blinis, because they were thicker than blinis, which are supposed to be thin, and could hold the weight of the caviar better.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

I have reservations at kwilks place next weekend, but we're unsure if we'll be out there. It's 50/50 as of today.

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I have reservations at kwilks place next weekend, but we're unsure if we'll be out there. It's 50/50 as of today. - B
Since winkie won't be there, I suggest ordering the caviar without all the fixins. You'll like it, if you go.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's one of the smart things thomas keller has said: that if you're going to do luxurious ingredients, the best thing is not to use a little bit in a complicated preparation, but to use a LOT of it in a very simple preparation so you get the full impact. it's like the white truffle/tajarin dishes in the Piedmont, where (in the old days anyway), they'd shave a full half-inch of truffles over the pasta.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Since winkie won't be there, I suggest ordering the caviar without all the fixins. You'll like it, if you go.

I always spoon it straight. It probably sounds wrong, but it makes for a miraculous breakfast cold spooned from a leftover tin with piping hot scrambled eggs on the side.

I'm disappointed kwilk won't be there if we manage to go. We've never been there and it would be fun to see him.

- B

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Galil Mountain Shyraz 2006 First time Israeli wine for me. Very different from FR or CA. Very worth a try. Prices wary widely .

Bought box of Louis Martini Cab 2005 Fantastic CA wine. Could be found at very reasonable price.

2007 is a bit young (sweet) but still very enjoyable.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think you can improve on the caviar service. I am putting my hopes in your hands.

I don't think Chef is going to let him build a locked room onto the place.
laugh.gif

Like I told you last night Kyle, you'll always be my *****. Congrats on leaving prep ***** behind!

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Thanks! I run the caviar station. It's the entry into the hot line. Important b/c a lot of people come here for our awesome caviar service, but not EVERY customer gets it, so it's a safe kind of testing ground for potential movers and shakers.

Where do you work? Sorry I am not up-n-up on all SF news.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads