• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The $5,000 Wardrobe

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LVC '55 and a Japanese repro - $550
White's Semi-Dress w/ options - $550
some kind of sneakers - $60
assorted button up shirts - $500?
Temple of Jawnz cafe racer or Wild One jacket - $500?
assorted underwear/socks/t-shirts - let's go wild, $250
week in Manhattan at a good hotel - $2k

straight boring by SF standards, I'm sure, but I'd be comfortable and look more put together than 90% of my peers

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill_switch
all i wear is jeans, i own one pair.
To each his own. I just like to vary it a little, especially since I see the same clients/co-workers/buyers day in and day out. Plus I like different styles and different jeans. Those four pairs are what I'd buy given the $5k constraints, but in reality I own like a dozen or so jeans.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 ccp boots (pair) @ 1k a boot, total 2k
1 pair of robert geller OR nike loopwheeler sweatpants @ $200
six n. hoolywood tees @ $80 a tee
one leather jacket at @ $2k
one sns herning sweater @ $200
one pair of APCs @ $165

****, i'm already over with no coat.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Vass black boots (fuuma mto) $800

Ok, done

What vass boots do you own? I was under the impression they made only dress shoes and boots I wouldn't own

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I own like 12 or 15 pairs of jeans too, but in reality I could get by with 2 pairs new, maybe 1 pair of the same blue but in a very worn version, ie raw denim and then a two or three year old pair of the same thing, for two different looks.

I know this is not following the rules of the game strictly, but I would take $5000 and buy some staples, and maybe afford myself $2000 to re-up on new stuff each year. I think that constitutes what many who are into styling themselves can realistically afford, though I know most of us spend more than that. I really don't want to know what sq4you spends per year on clothing, nor Socal. I probably spend a lot and don't realize it, though I don't feel like I have bought myself that much stuff, ever.

My (occasionally broken) rules for buying clothes in general, which I would adamantly stick to if I were on a budget:
- obviously, nothing at retail, if designer.
- Something must match at least 2 or 3 different aesthetics (whether these aesthetics are subtly or vastly different, up to you, but they should be different and not a swap of shoes or jacket), if not all of the aesthetics I want to do. If it doesn't, consider it a wish list item.
- Expensive cotton button up shirts are out, as they can be replaced with MTM if you're looking for something a budget. Jantzen at the low end and other Asian-made MTM for slightly more. You do need at least two white shirts (possibly of differing styles, white broadcloth) but I consider these disposable, so spend in proportion to your budget.
- Expensive knits are out. One snag or a rough night out, and you're out a knit. About as necessary as a 'nice' watch. I'd probably cap my knit budget at $150-200 for lightweight knits and $300 for one splurge, a heavyweight V or Y-neck pullover. Both non-patterned, in a neutral palette. Light marl or dark solid.
- At least one good pair of shoes, in. Black first, brown second or third (after two pairs of black, the second pair of black could be laceup boots) I don't see AE's as part of this wardrobe, they are not stylish enough.
- White sneakers, in. Common Projects tournaments or captoe court shoes
- Leather jackets are nice but are not for a budget wardrobe.
- Peacoat is good for a budget wardrobe, but find a nice one, not a Sterlingwear, surplus, etc.
- DB trenchcoat with removable liner, in.
- as above, 1 pair of indigo raw jeans (silver hardware, no huge patch, no backpocket stitch, this probably can be taken to mean APC, or Acne) and 1 pair of black overdye denim, both slim fit. The black overdye can be cheap non selvedge, indigos would preferably be selvedge. Buy these again each year or every two years depending on how hard you wear them.
- a grey and a navy suit, with trousers you can wear separately.

And for this, with $5000 as a one-time buy in and $2000 afforded as a replenishing budget, I'd say:
-black, navy, white, grey, almost strictly
-stay away from deconstruction unless you know what you are doing (and in this case you probably wouldn't need to stay with a budget like this)

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Also, if I were on a clothing budget, I'd probably buy a $1.50 tape measure and make it a habit to have it with me whenever I go shopping, so that I could try different shirts and jackets on, and figure out whether I could make something similar via MTM. You can take a nice $200-300 shirt to a dressing room at the store, measure the collar height, collarband width, neck, s2s, p2p, back shoulder, and sleeve and body widths, and get something decent. Likewise for tailored jackets and such, if you have a good tailor and are good at measuring. Measuring off the body doesn't work for a lot of people, IMO, because tailors cut too closely, and don't cut stylishly. A good looking garment is like 80% pattern and 20% material.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
I can make a waaayyy better list using SF B&S..just sayin'

I can make an even better list using 20 years and thrift stores. just sayin'

darkdream

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill_switch
all i wear is jeans, i own one pair.
How do you do that? I wear jeans often being a college student, but I own over 16 pairs of designer jeans and 25 regular jeans (Levis and such). The title of the article should be the $5000 outfit.

nonissue

Reaction score
^ you must be kidding. you think 41 pairs of jeans is normal?

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the recurring theme in this thread is that its better to be stylish with a few outstanding items than the sf uniform which is average. clean and fitting, but average nontheless.

great thread.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
My watch band alone costs more than $5k.

Has there always been a Muppet driving the car in your avatar?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads