• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial mythbusting

joshman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
Enough of the Drape ****!

As far as I can tell, "The Firm" has different level of make based on who the client might be, in descending order . . .

1 - Fred Astaire, Tom Ford
2 - Manton
3 - Whnay
4 - That poor chap with the atrocious collar.

Might be better to go with just one name . . . A Shattuck is a Shattuck is a Shattuck is a Shattuck . . .

- M

You forgot to wank RJman.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Third margarita today finally woke me up. I think I might need a few more to decipher the "True Homosexual" passage. I think it means that Rach is hetero, which is a surprise to me since carries all those tote bags. Like many here, I've always assumed that tote bags were for special homosexualist supplies, like petroleum jelly and quiche pans. But, I'm going to read The True Homosexual passage again, since it is a kind of watershed moment. - B
I've decided that totes are so 2009. As such, I've placed myself on the waiting list for this lovely LV backpack for Spring/Summer 2010:
BGm74.jpg
I can't think of a better way to confuse men about my sexual preference... and it only will require $54,000 to do it! This is the big-timer backpack par excellence, a backpack that even Badi could love.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeonM
28.jpg

Fantastastic as the clothes are on the mannnequins, these are real people, the tailors and cutters, in them.

Who are they all? I can see
Carl of A&S, Allen of Huntsman, Grant of Norton, Sexton, Hitchcock of A&S...

Leon

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joshman
High button point makes the person thinner, but no taller.
I think I said that when you foofed a photo a couple of days ago.

I disagree. A high buttoning point necessarily foreshortens the 'V' between one's lapels, which increases the actual expanse of unbroken cloth across his torso, increasing emphasis on its width. Anyway, I think whether a suit makes one look thinner or taller is really a moot distinction as accomplishing one necessarily accomplishes the other--we are talking about relative, not actual, dimensions, after all.

Originally Posted by apropos
The theory is that the longer quarters visually extend the line of the leg, and thus give the impression of height.

What I see happen in practise is that the quarters usually end up emphasising the wearer's hips, making him look pear shaped, and thus resulting in the opposite effect.

Agreed. Also, in most real world interactions, people focus on you from the waist and chest up. The suggested length of your legs don't really have much of an effect.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I've decided that totes are so 2009.

I can't think of a better way to confuse men about my sexual preference... and it only will require $54,000 to do it! This is the big-timer backpack par excellence, a backpack that even Badi could love.

Hmmm...nice backpack, but Professor: will it hold as many flavored condoms as a tote?

confused.gif

What about True Homosexualist Practicality?

I suppose if all of you wore this backpack...but where's the one, uhm, upmanship?

- B

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmmm...nice backpack, but Professor: will it hold as many flavored condoms as a tote?
confused.gif
What about True Homosexualist Practicality? I suppose if all of you wore this backpack...but where's the one, uhm, upmanship? - B

Well, as we noted, I think according to the definitions in this thread, I'm straight, so about THP (True Homosexualist Practicality) I can only guess, and of that I'd say that of course LV will only be producing FOUR of these, which means that P Diddy, Beyonce, and Pharrel will probably get the others. Is that upmanship? Anyway, as for flavored prophylacticons, if you notice all those phone-cord looking thingys on the bag and the tassles, small holes will be punched into the upper corners of the packaging and they'll be strung on them like beads or those old Chinese coins. Thus, in addition to whatever fits IN the bag, they can be stored in open display for others who might be wondering how many and in what flavors you have.

tailorgod

Reaction score
0907310030.jpg

Now that I have your attention:

We don't hate drape nor A&S and I will never say so!

So far we have seen more stuff from A&S that was a bit "awful" than that we were shown top notch garments.
My theory remains that not everyone has the body to wear (A&S and Englishcut) drape and that thinner fabrics will look even more messy given the techniques their tailors use.
The "giving" shoulder seam will give when the sleeve is set in and is likely to cause some tension and/or distortion across that section of the back.

Just to quote a few lines from the A&S website video:

"We cut cut a small armhole with a big sleeve and we have to full it in and then we sew it by hand, which becomes very, very comfortable!"

High armhole: Yes! Small armhole... No!

Dukearmhole.jpg

...comfortable sleeve: Maybe, but not more than a regular one. The important bit is not to have a huge sleeve in a wide armhole (see pic above), but to have a side panel and back with an armhole that resembles the body in it's shape (see back of Vox's coats)! That is pretty much tailoring basics...

"When they're finished and we see the customer dressed in the suit and he walks out the door looking really good, we are pleased, we know we have done a good job."

Maybe they were not looking?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Agreed. Also, in most real world interactions, people focus on you from the waist and chest up. The suggested length of your legs don't really have much of an effect.

Waist up? How about the True Homosexualizer?

And as for legs: isn't that all you see unless you are walking down a flight of stairs? Come to think of it, a lot Nay's shots are coming down stairs.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
^^ This back pic is like the Ace of spades, the ultimate trump card. When in doubt, throw it down, win the hand!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Well, as we noted, I think according to the definitions in this thread, I'm straight, so about THP (True Homosexualist Practicality) I can only guess, and of that I'd say that of course LV will only be producing FOUR of these, which means that P Diddy, Beyonce, and Pharrel will probably get the others. Is that upmanship? Anyway, as for flavored prophylacticons, if you notice all those phone-cord looking thingys on the bag and the tassles, small holes will be punched into the upper corners of the packaging and they'll be strung on them like beads or those old Chinese coins. Thus, in addition to whatever fits IN the bag, they can be stored in open display for others who might be wondering how many and in what flavors you have.
The gey are such a whacky, fun-loving people. It's pretty obvious that Three's Company had a profound and lasting effect on their culture. - B

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The gey are such a whacky, fun-loving people. - B
That we are. You should see what we do with curtains! edit: I must admit I have almost no idea what's going on in this thread, nor did I read it. BUT, that usually happens with anything involving FNB.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The gey are such a whacky, fun-loving people.

- B

Speaking of this, in the 1890s, "gay" just meant "happy." It was a perfectly good word that the homos stole and I want it back.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Wait, is that rumpled collar from A&S?

No - people just keep quoting it in A&S threads for ***** and giggles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads