• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My God, I hate the windsor knot

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Maybe it's just the photo - the HW photo was taken in my dark kitchen versus the FIH which was taken in a bright bathroom... but the FIH actually does look better.
I don't think it does. Personally, I think the FIH looks lopsided in that picture. FIHs also often twist as the day goes on, so you may have to keep adjusting them if you are not wearing a tie clip. I wore FIHs for years, then graduated to half-windsors, and then progressed to the Pratt Shelby. My search is over. Except for knit ties, I find that Pratts Shelby knots tend to look the best. Although I do think the younger you are the more likely a FIH will look better. Prep school kids and college students look silly in anything but FIHs. Obviously this is a very subjective issue and we are never going to get everyone on SF to settle on one knot. Which is as it should be.

ferguscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
I don't think it does. Personally, I think the FIH looks lopsided in that picture. FIHs also often twist as the day goes on, so you may have to keep adjusting them if you are not wearing a tie clip.

I wore FIHs for years, then graduated to half-windsors, and then progressed to the Pratt Shelby. My search is over. Except for knit ties, I find that Pratts Shelby knots tend to look the best.

Although I do think the younger you are the more likely a FIH will look better. Prep school kids and college students look silly in anything but FIHs.

Obviously this is a very subjective issue and we are never going to get everyone on SF to settle on one knot. Which is as it should be.

FIH is supposed to look lop-sided. That's one of its virtues. Perfectly symmetrical windsors are for politicians and serial killers only
smile.gif

Stuart

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ferguscan
FIH is supposed to look lop-sided. That's one of its virtues. Perfectly symmetrical windsors are for politicians and serial killers only
smile.gif

Stuart

Now I know why I always wear Windsor
eh.gif

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ferguscan
smile.gif
Stuart

I know a FIH is supposed to look lop-sided, but I don't think a tie looks good like that. If I wanted to look lop-sided I would tell my tailor to leave one sleeve shorter than the other. Full windsors are a bit much, but it is more the shape and bulk than the symmetricality that are the problem in my book. That's why I prefer the Pratt. Maybe it's just my upbringing. FIHs remind me of being a teenager, when I also left the top button undone on my Brooks Brothers button-down oxford and always wore a fabric belt with two rings for a buckle.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ones shirt should be as trim as possible without looking like its painted on. sleeve length should terminate precisely at the head of 1st metacarpal. left cuff should be enlarged by .793 inches to allowance for wristwatch (mechanical, single function, arabic numerals). both cuff should extend 1/2" beyond jacket sleeve when supine and rested, 1" when curled. oh, but if the tie is too symmetrical it "looks affected".
worship.gif

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
ones shirt should be as trim as possible without looking like its painted on. sleeve length should terminate precisely at the head of 1st metacarpal. left cuff should be enlarged by .793 inches to allowance for wristwatch (mechanical, single function, arabic numerals). both cuff should extend 1/2" beyond jacket sleeve when supine and rested, 1" when curled.

oh, but if the tie is too symmetrical it "looks affected".

Sounds about right.
smile.gif

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Half-Windsor:

G9QXv.jpg

avw7T.jpg

Honestly, the first photograph looks like a child wearing an man's tie; the knot is simply overpowering. The second photograph is quite nice.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I think a FIH with a cut-away collar looks idiotic. Meant for people with no sense.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mute
Sorry, but I think a FIH with a cut-away collar looks idiotic. Meant for people with no sense.
+1x100

rgoldstein

Reaction score
prince_charles_1844633.jpg
Ok, I agree this^^ looks very sharp, but not everyone can pull it off. Charles has a lean build. Most of us are probably not built like him, and our heads would dwarf such a knot. Also, a lot of us walk around an office all day. If that elegant little FIH knot shifts so much as a millimeter one way or another you look marsupialed. I like the "small knot" and the half windsor because they stay put much more willingly without a tie clip, which is a plus when dealing with clients, my boss, etc.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Clearly I agree with the OP, and put the Ian Flemming quote in my sig a while ago to demonstrate this . . . .
I can't understand the hatred for a tie knot in general. The knot should go with your collar, which should go with your face. Easy. As a thread hijack / aside, I wonder why that Bond Windsor knot quote always pops up. Ian Fleming's Bond isn't really the go-to authority on anything outside of tricked out Bentleys, gambling, drinking, and ass-kicking. He certainly shouldn't be relied on for fashion advice, he always wore the same thing (navy suit, black knit tie, silk shirt). For fun, you should add Bond's observations about Koreans, women, and blacks to your sig . . . that would be interesting
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
HRH Prince Charles has no sense?
It rarely follows that British royalty and "sense" go together. See, for example: King Stephen, King James II, George IV, Edward II, Edward VIII, etc., etc., etc. Did Charles become less of a lightweight when I wasn't looking?

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My knots are usually either as small as that one, or close, and I don't tend to have problems with them shifting out of place during the day.

That's not really the best example of his tie knot, anyhow.

Prince-Charles_0.jpg

_44462030_princecharles_416.jpg

Cravate Noir's four-in-hand always looks quite elegant. Anyone who thinks these looks would be improved upon with a full-Windsor is insane.
14l7pl3.jpg

2i2fcn.jpg

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pratt-Shelby looks like the aborted love child of a HW and FIH.
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
Honestly, the first photograph looks like a child wearing an man's tie; the knot is simply overpowering. The second photograph is quite nice.
Damn you, I have wear a size 16 shirt!
fist-shake.jpg

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn you, I have wear a size 16 shirt!

fist-shake.jpg

I have a 15" neck. I can only imagine how ridiculous I looked when I fancied myself to be sophisticated wearing a Windsor knot a few years ago.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
healthketo577