1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

My God, I hate the windsor knot

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ZON_JR, Jan 18, 2010.

1. hiisociety

hiisociety Well-Known Member

I like the winsor knot. LOL [​IMG]

2. srivats

srivats Senior member

You telling me this doesn't look nice?

[​IMG]

That does look nice.

3. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

I prefer the half windsor knot myself when it comes to wearing ties. The four in hand comes into play with button down shirts but I don't wear ties with button downs.

4. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

I almost always use a FIH. The only time I use something different is if I have a thinner tie that makes a really small knot. Regardless, that tie does look good, unjung.

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

The solution to the cutaway collar dilemma is not to wear cutaway collars. [​IMG]

6. srivats

srivats Senior member

The solution to the cutaway collar dilemma is not to wear cutaway collars. [​IMG]

Listen to this man!

7. rgoldstein

rgoldstein Senior member

There we go.

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

+1

The knot on the left is strictly for clowns and assholes.

+1

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Just wear whichever know you like best and be done with it. I personally like the windsor knot, and wear it depending on the collar:

slimmer collar : half-windsor
    semi-spread : windsor
    spread : windsor or double windsor (depending on the angle of the collar and the thickness of the tie)

10. onix

onix Senior member

spread : windsor or double windsor (depending on the angle of the collar and the thickness of the tie)

I myself wear windsor too due to my height and the ties are not thick enough. But double windsor? How big is it? Can I see a pic?

11. unjung

unjung Senior member

Half-Windsor:

[​IMG]

FIH:

[​IMG]

Maybe it's just the photo - the HW photo was taken in my dark kitchen versus the FIH which was taken in a bright bathroom... but the FIH actually does look better.

12. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

[​IMG]

Maybe it's just the photo - the HW photo was taken in my dark kitchen versus the FIH which was taken in a bright bathroom... but the FIH actually does look better.

^This.

I was a Windsor guy for a long time, thinking the FIH to be a juvenile knot.

But once I got over that baggage, I accepted that the FIH just looks better in almost any situation.

13. miomall1

miomall1 Active Member

You're obviously unfamiliar with Mayor Daley.

Montrachet, I and my fellow Bonapartists prefer the term "benign dictatorship" to describe governance in the Second City.

I always go with a half-Windsor or Pratt (I have no OCBD or point collar shirts). This may sound ridiculous, but I can never get the FIH to look right...

14. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Anything other than a FIH runs a high risk of looking affected or tacky.

15. gboyle138

gboyle138 Active Member

At 6'4, I can't do a full Windsor knot without the tie hitting me around the belly button or higher, unless it is an extra long tie. And I don't find many of those that I like. So this is not an issue for me. poor short people.

16. knittieguy

knittieguy Senior member

I don't think it does. Personally, I think the FIH looks lopsided in that picture. FIHs also often twist as the day goes on, so you may have to keep adjusting them if you are not wearing a tie clip. I wore FIHs for years, then graduated to half-windsors, and then progressed to the Pratt Shelby. My search is over. Except for knit ties, I find that Pratts Shelby knots tend to look the best. Although I do think the younger you are the more likely a FIH will look better. Prep school kids and college students look silly in anything but FIHs. Obviously this is a very subjective issue and we are never going to get everyone on SF to settle on one knot. Which is as it should be.

17. ferguscan

ferguscan Senior member

I don't think it does. Personally, I think the FIH looks lopsided in that picture. FIHs also often twist as the day goes on, so you may have to keep adjusting them if you are not wearing a tie clip.

I wore FIHs for years, then graduated to half-windsors, and then progressed to the Pratt Shelby. My search is over. Except for knit ties, I find that Pratts Shelby knots tend to look the best.

Although I do think the younger you are the more likely a FIH will look better. Prep school kids and college students look silly in anything but FIHs.

Obviously this is a very subjective issue and we are never going to get everyone on SF to settle on one knot. Which is as it should be.

FIH is supposed to look lop-sided. That's one of its virtues. Perfectly symmetrical windsors are for politicians and serial killers only [​IMG]

Stuart

18. onix

onix Senior member

FIH is supposed to look lop-sided. That's one of its virtues. Perfectly symmetrical windsors are for politicians and serial killers only [​IMG]

Stuart

Now I know why I always wear Windsor [​IMG]

19. knittieguy

knittieguy Senior member

FIH is supposed to look lop-sided. That's one of its virtues. Perfectly symmetrical windsors are for politicians and serial killers only [​IMG] Stuart
    I know a FIH is supposed to look lop-sided, but I don't think a tie looks good like that. If I wanted to look lop-sided I would tell my tailor to leave one sleeve shorter than the other. Full windsors are a bit much, but it is more the shape and bulk than the symmetricality that are the problem in my book. That's why I prefer the Pratt. Maybe it's just my upbringing. FIHs remind me of being a teenager, when I also left the top button undone on my Brooks Brothers button-down oxford and always wore a fabric belt with two rings for a buckle.

20. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

ones shirt should be as trim as possible without looking like its painted on. sleeve length should terminate precisely at the head of 1st metacarpal. left cuff should be enlarged by .793 inches to allowance for wristwatch (mechanical, single function, arabic numerals). both cuff should extend 1/2" beyond jacket sleeve when supine and rested, 1" when curled. oh, but if the tie is too symmetrical it "looks affected". [​IMG]