• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Raphael suit (not mine)

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Seriously? It just looks lopsided.

voxi.jpg

Need robotic pose for standardized comparisons . . . not too Igor-ish though . . .

- M

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the lop-sidedness might be the result of Vox's posture. He's ever so slightly leaning to the right and lifting his left leg--very lifestyle, Vox. That might also explain why the waist silhouette looks different on each side. My jackets consistently display this effect in photos, too.

For me, the main issue remains the angle and point at which the quarters open. It looks like in whnay's photo, but without the pattern to make it as obvious.

emptym

Reaction score
^ This is what I was thinking.
Originally Posted by aportnoy
For comparison purposes...one of my Raphael suits
Gorgeous suit.
Originally Posted by iammatt
... On the other hand, the FF coat is much better fit at the collar, and there is something that isn't quite right about the transition from chest to waist on the TR coat. It isn't a fit problem as much as an artistry one, I think. Manton's coat is pretty perfect in all the above ways.
I wish I had your eye. The only difference I can see between the collars the FF and TR coats is that the FF one lies flatter (in that pic at least) than the TR one, or Manton's. What are you seeing?
Originally Posted by teddieriley
...Not sure if the trousers are low waisted as cut or whether they were sitting a little lower in the pic due to my failure to adjust them, as I could have pulled them up easily another inch. The waist is about 1/2 inch too big, so it's likely they slipped from my natural waist line prior to the photo. My torso is relatively long compared to my legs, as I have a short inseam. I definitely would not want the inseam to be any longer...
I was wondering if, instead of raising the pant rise, you could lower the coat button an inch or so. Beautiful suit, btw.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Teddy - I don't mind the trimness of the pants. I was only commenting on the rise, and I do think the suit looks very good on you. As to trouser styling choices, I do think it's possible to have a mid to high rise and a trim silhouette at the same time. I had a vintage 60's suit a few years ago flat front trousers cut just that way - trim through the hips and seat and sitting at my navel. I like that look for suits (less so for odd trousers.) Foo - I accept your explanation that your experience with the suit would lead you to ignore things that were false indicators due to the pose or photo. You could have saved a lot of confusion in this thread if you'd merely stated it that way from the beginning and noted that the crumpled waist in the photo you chose to share wasn't an issue IRL. But then you wouldn't have had yourself a proper
foo.gif
thread, so maybe that was the point.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
Need robotic pose for standardized comparisons . . . not too Igor-ish though . . .

- M

I have no control over the Igor part.

762585520_7eg32-X2.jpg

Inciting Poo to squiggles made my day, though.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Foo - I accept your explanation that your experience with the suit would lead you to ignore things that were false indicators due to the pose or photo. You could have saved a lot of confusion in this thread if you'd merely stated it that way from the beginning and noted that the crumpled waist in the photo you chose to share wasn't an issue IRL. But then you wouldn't have had yourself a proper
foo.gif
thread, so maybe that was the point.

I see how sharply the waist is nipped in the original photo--I don't think I ever claimed it appeared otherwise. However, I'm still confused about the rumpling you guys are talking about. I don't see it. Why didn't I previously state anything about my experience versus false indicators? Because these indicators were either not apparent to me (still aren't) or did not strike me as anything worth pointing out, as I obviously did not believe they indicated anything wrong. It's only in hindsight on how this discussion is developed that I am trying to explain what many of you perceive to be hypocrisy or bias. I honestly don't think I would have foofed the suit, had it been someone else's and I hadn't known its origin. This should not come as much of a shock though: when there isn't much to fix in my opinion, I often don't go about foofing at all.
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
762585520_7eg32-X2.jpg

The lopsidedness is gone, but do you think the angle of the opening between the quarters looks right? I'm nitpicking, of course. Maybe it's just that the quarters are a tad too open, for my own preferences.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
, the stripes are all perpindicular to the ground despite the open quarters and my own indifference/ignorance.

You shouldn't have to care about that- you pay your tailor to care about it. It's not stylistic where your input should be needed, it should just be correct.

On the left, the lines are more or less parallel through the skirt, which is correct. In the middle they scissor, sign of a short front balance, short strap, or similar problem. On the right (I pinned the back) a short back balance, overly long strap, or similar problem. Sometimes it's a combination of things; in any case, when standing with weight distributed evenly to both feet , the lines should be parallel, otherwise it's a sign of trouble.

(I didn't make this coat, I just had it handy).

4267005916_ef03f48491_b.jpg

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll take a pic of me wearing the A&S coat in a maniquen pose this evening so we can (hopefully) clear a part of the controversy. Again, its not exactly what I had wished for - but its not as bad as folks are making it out to be.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
I'll take a pic of me wearing the A&S coat in a maniquen pose this evening so we can (hopefully) clear a part of the controversy. Again, its not exactly what I had wished for - but its not as bad as folks are making it out to be.
They aren't accounting for the way you are standing and my horrible impromptu photography. Alas, I am not an artist. Whatever the issue, all I can say is that nothing struck me as wrong in person.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
However, I'm still confused about the rumpling you guys are talking about. I don't see it.

How is this possible? It manifestly is rumpling. Squiggly lines have been provided. What else can we do?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Okay, here's a pic to make the check more obvious:

762597156_NTfAH-L.jpg

Pattern is straight...quarter is cut across the straight pattern.

Here's a tiny cute pic of Poo...pattern is straight, quarter is cut across the pattern:

731863987_dNjDZ-S.jpg

Here's Nay looking natty and swell...

p1000411.jpg

...but the pattern isn't quite as straight. Looking at the pattern, you would expect the quarters to be more closed. I think that's all Despos and jefferyd are saying...that cut with the pattern makes it seem that is is possible the quarters are open not because they are cut to be that open, but that it is jacket is too small around the hips.

Is it done on purpose? I don't know, but the first two pics would be the usual way.

As for the shape of the quarters, well, that is an aspect of style entirely rather than correctness. At least, that is my opinion.

- B

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If it was just tight in the hips, there would be a diagonal line running from the lower side to the button. If it were just tight in the waist, the pulls would be more horizontal. It doesn't seem to be pulling (much- it may be a shade tight in the waist). ^^That's not a good shot since his posture throws it, but the stairwell shot is fairly neutral.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[click for supersize]

762585520_7eg32-X2.jpg

Originally Posted by jefferyd
when standing with weight distributed evenly to both feet,

I see what is happening here . . .

Although Edwin accounted for your side of dress with your trousers, he had not accounted for that time of the month when swelling occurs, thus throwing your right leg into a laterally outward rotation in the top photo.

During these times of the month, it would be impossible to stand, as Jefferyd puts it, with "weight distributed evenly to both feet" . . . more like trying to stand on three legs.

Tailors and Fitters, take note!
laugh.gif

- M

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

762585520_7eg32-X2.jpg

- B

Are all of your suit jacket sleeves cut so the cuff's openings are parallel with the ground?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads