• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Request for Simple Style Secrets from Great Dressers

Snidely Whiplash

Reaction score
OK, I'm the OP, grateful to all who posted.

As for the advice "Just be yourself - women will like you for being yourself", for most guys that will earn them a long string of evenings alone with Mr. Hand, and then they'll find a wife. I am successful with women, thank you, and have a good idea of what it takes to be in a fulfilling, long-term relationship AND how to pull off a fun, quick conquest. Not interested in debating with moralizers. I am simply looking for tips on how to remain physically attractive as I get older (I pick up at least a couple of good tricks every year).

I agree that being fit is key - having a lean and muscular body is an incredibly powerful attractant. Though as long as you are in decent shape, clothes can minimize the difference between a so-so and a great body (especially in winter).

I find that the importance of hair cannot be underestimated. I have had a few haircuts where, before I walked into the establishment, women were essentially ignoring me, and after they were ALL looking and the compliments came fast and furious. Haven't figured out how to maintain this - the best such haircut cost $100 in Los Angeles, and for some reason, the stylist couldn't duplicate the initial style/effect in subsequent tries.

An interesting aside here is that, when I where my hair slicked back with a sportcoat/suit and slacks, most women aren't really into it, but a few get really turned on, even sexually (though they tend to be the gold-digger types). I sometimes wear my hair like this as a default when it gets too long but I don't feel like going in for a haircut.

Also, with clothes, I pretty much have done what Dasher1 suggests (thanks for the advice - that was an excellent post). But the funny thing is, sometimes I get the best results by doing something totally different - the other day I sort of accidentally put together an outfit composed of Ralph Lauren Purple Label leather pants, a fairly tight-fitting Paul Smith dress shirt sporting narrow brown and crimson vertical stripes not tucked in and brown Testoni ostrich leather shoes, and women really seemed to like that one, I know not why (maybe my big, muscular rear end? LOL; women always say that they find a small one attractive).

Sometimes I wonder if the best approach for the above-stated purpose is to have a closet full of high-quality SF-approved staples bought at 80-90% off on Ebay and SF worn basically by the rules, and then to combine this with one or two eye-catching, colorful and/or fashion forward "stunning" pieces bought at "full price" (which is what I consider in-store after-Christmas sale prices) from Saks/Neiman/name boutiques like Rick Owens leather jackets, Burberry Prorsum sportcoats, Etro trousers, Berluti-type shoes (hopefully made by Corthay, G&G, Lobb, etc.) that are striking without being tacky or too loud.

So, Dashing1, I guess you are saying that, when looking for such "centerpieces", I should focus on watches and shoes?

As for my physical traits, I am of average height with a muscular body, brown hair, hazel eyes and pale skin. Dressing to suit my personality/background, I would go for (relative to American fashions) an intelligent, dressed-up and eccentric look with some eye-catching colors (pinks, purples and green) to go with basics (browns, navies, grays and blacks). I live in Tokyo, so I can get away with (and like) fashion-forward stuff ala Dior Homme, Thom Browne, Tom Ford, Paul Smith and TAT.

DeanCorso, I also found your post interesting. Though you were not going there, "peacocking" theory involves wearing/having something totally glaring and over-the-top so that girls who are interested in the first place will have an excuse to talk to you. Also, FWIW, women here love the well-known, GQ-type labels (no surprise I know), but I am trying to move away from that to some extent.

AlwaysDressed, yours is exactly the sort of advice I was looking for (and complete with photos!), thank you. And ppllzz, thanks for the RLBL commendation - I dig their stuff and have received multiple compliments on RLBL dress shirts; haven't bought a suit from them yet though - my last suit purchase was a new (and perfect-fitting) grey striped Isaia, sold to me through SF for $500 by musicguy (a stand-up guy).

cbird

Reaction score
One point I'd like to make is that women are more into colors than men, so improving your grasp of colors and color combinations will help you to present yourself better. This is not just an opinion - anthropologists who have studied gender roles across cultures have found that the only cultural universal in any culture they have studied is that the average woman can identify about 40 or more colors, while the average man can identify only about 10. Taking an art course in which they go over the color wheel in depth is one way to help bridge the gap and will improve your innate sense of what are good and what are bad combinations, which will only make you a better dresser.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its too bad that most women don't know squat about men's clothing. They just know whether the guy is confident in what he's wearing, the clothes fit properly, and the colors match (or at least don't scream ugly).

Thus, apply those simple rules and you can probably get away with most anything.

Seriously though, start with the shoes. For some reason, women look at shoes, people look at shoes, etc etc. Wear nice shoes, even if they are sneakers. Yes, there are nice sneakers, think the classics. And no one said you can't wear dress shoes with jeans either.

Then start with clothing that fits you. Your athletic, so buy fitted clothing. Shirts should have waist suppression to show it off. If you have to, get that **** tailored! If you've already got the items, paying the tailor $12-40 to take in the sides and taper the arms may be cheaper than new clothes that won't fit as perfectly.

Finally, just make sure your clothes match each other. Look in the mirror before you leave and make sure your shirt matches your pants and your shoes match your pants. Eventually you'll figure out certain rules for your body type.

For instance, I've found that if I want to wear a sweater, I need some sort of collar to give the sweater some body at my neck. Otherwise, it looks like a sloppy long sleeve t-shirt. Short sleeve t-shirts OTOH are perfectly fine on their own. But thats a personal rule, I doubt anyone else has it.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash
But the funny thing is, sometimes I get the best results by doing something totally different - the other day I sort of accidentally put together an outfit composed of Ralph Lauren Purple Label leather pants, a fairly tight-fitting Paul Smith dress shirt sporting narrow brown and crimson vertical stripes not tucked in and brown Testoni ostrich leather shoes, and women really seemed to like that one, I know not why (maybe my big, muscular rear end? LOL; women always say that they find a small one attractive).

Any photos?

- B

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Any photos? - B
Please no, the description was quite sufficient.

JasonDEdinger

Reaction score
Dress in a way that makes your happy and compliments you. Don't pay attention to nonsensical rules and norms. Most people that bash others' dress look like idiots themselves.

Glados1984

Reaction score
here's a good way to dress to get teh chix

strauss.jpg

mtf

Reaction score
1. Wear clothes that fit well. A $20 than you pay $20 in tailoring costs will look much better on you than a $40 shirt. It's the same with RTW suits. Budget about $200 per suit in tailoring costs and find a good tailor.
2. Wear sleek shoes. Not the clunky ones every other guy wears. Even with jeans
3. Keep those shoes shined. Touch them up every time that they're scuffed.

newinny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash
...the other day I sort of accidentally put together an outfit composed of Ralph Lauren Purple Label leather pants, a fairly tight-fitting Paul Smith dress shirt sporting narrow brown and crimson vertical stripes not tucked in and brown Testoni ostrich leather shoes...

sometimes accidents do happen

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Glados1984
here's a good way to dress to get teh chix

strauss.jpg

Don't forget negging. This only works when you neg.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mtf
Wear sleek shoes. Not the clunky ones every other guy wears. Even with jeans
Keep those shoes shined. Touch them up every time that they're scuffed.

Yes, no square-toed Aldo or Kenneth Cole ones, please

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JasonDEdinger
Most people that bash others' dress look like idiots themselves.

+100000000000000000000000000.

I can't tell you how many times I have been bashed by people who wear clothes that are 3 sizes too big and shoes that haven't been polished since the Clinton administration (or maybe even the Reagan administration).

DeanCorso

Reaction score
That furry purple vest reminds me of something...

20060718_d60_20060712_1657_666%20bumble%20bee%20on%20thistle%20flower(r+mb%20id@576).jpg

Like honey to the bee, yo.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just one advice ..Wear the right thing for the right environment.

If you have a decent understanting of marrying the right combo to the right occasion /environment, you will never be perceived as over or under dressed , the sartorial most common cardinal sin.

Another advice..Never copy anobody else.
Use what you see as sartorial influences ,but never forget to create your own sartorial vision.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads