• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any psychologists on this forum?

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
On the contrary. Endocrinology is more closely tied to psychology than most give it credit for. Neurotransmitter levels are the major force behind certain emotional responses. Sure, endocrinology is not psychology, bluntly speaking. But they both revolve around the way the mind works, which is what is most interesting to me.

Anyone who has done coke and had a dopamine spike knows what I'm talking about.

I could perhaps be compelled to agree with your first statement after a few hours of discussion. Your second statement is quite true. Suggesting that endocrinology "revolves around the way the mind works" is a big stretch however.

It sounds to me like you'd be interested in biochemistry, neurology, microbiology, or even medicine.

Endocrinology, by definition, deals with hormones which by definition don't really have (direct) effects within the brain.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
I could perhaps be compelled to agree with your first statement after a few hours of discussion. Your second statement is quite true. Suggesting that endocrinology "revolves around the way the mind works" is a big stretch however.

It sounds to me like you'd be interested in biochemistry, neurology, microbiology, or even medicine.

Endocrinology, by definition, deals with hormones which by definition don't really have (direct) effects within the brain.

I may have cast too wide a net with my statement. However, I will say that there can be no real dispute that the study of neurotransmitter production, reuptake, etc. directly affects emotions and thoughts. I don't know if this is called endocrinology or something else. I have zero interest in medicine unless it directly relates to the functioning of these neurotransmitters and their effect on the brain.

I am very, very far from being knowledgeable in any of these fields. But I do know that emotions depend on neurotransmitters, which depend on endocrine glands, such as the thyroid. Problem is, I really have ZERO interest in going through a decade of schooling and residency on topics I don't give two ***** about to get to the point of doing the very specific experimentation that interests me. For this reason, psychology might be a more agreeable path to take towards the same kind of research.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesterM
QFT, I spent a year in grad school for behavioral neuroscience. The focus of our lab was psychoneuroimmunology (interaction of the nervous, endocrine, and immune systems). Fascinating **** but I hated the lab work. I'm actually trying to do the opposite of you and apply my psychology background to finance.

In regards to your original question, even though you're not as interested in clinical psych if there's something that you're really good at and enjoy you can utilize that very profitably. For example one of my siblings was an excellent rider and after getting her doctorate started an "equine facilitated mental health practice". Another friend loves art and after getting her masters works in "Art Therapy" (which I assume means she interprets pictures that disturbed kids draw).

No doubt. In fact I'd be awfully well-positioned to "treat" people who are looking for meaning in their work, especially those in finance, consulting, law, and other soulless professions. After all, I am one of them, and I know the types of thoughts my peers have about their careers. Not to mention that these are the people with the money/insurance plans to blow on a psychologist. I suppose if I ever need to do something to pay the bills, I'll have clinical psych for young professionals to turn to.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not easy listening to people's problems hour after hour. Plus you're not giving advice, you're "holding the space" so there's an element of frustration that you're not helping the client. I went to grad school for the Counseling Psychology program. In addition to the schooling, most states require several thousands of hours in an internship program before you can go for the licensing exam. Cali requires 3000 hours if I recall. By the end of grad school I decided I really didn't like people enough to spend all day with chronic complainers and depressives. Also took a series of courses in hypnosis, which is really interesting stuff.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
It's not easy listening to people's problems hour after hour. Plus you're not giving advice, you're "holding the space" so there's an element of frustration that you're not helping the client. I went to grad school for the Counseling Psychology program. In addition to the schooling, most states require several thousands of hours in an internship program before you can go for the licensing exam. Cali requires 3000 hours if I recall. By the end of grad school I decided I really didn't like people enough to spend all day with chronic complainers and depressives. Also took a series of courses in hypnosis, which is really interesting stuff.
That is exactly why I am not interested in clinical psych. I am cruel in that I don't want to help people as much as I want to understand them. In either case, I don't really believe people can be helped much in this society. Our existence is the conflict, not the individual brain.

cbusguy

Reaction score
i think you would have to at least get an undergraduate degree in psychology if you want to perform your own research-- where you would only do a thesis. if you are really interested in pursuing this i would:
read relevant journals
brush up on statistics
read social/cognitive research method books
just read and learn as much as you can

this should help you narrow down your interests

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is exactly why I am not interested in clinical psych. I am cruel in that I don't want to help people as much as I want to understand them. In either case, I don't really believe people can be helped much in this society. Our existence is the conflict, not the individual brain.

Interest in neuropsych may appeal to you but what are you going to do with it that pays besides research and teach? Counseling can be hugely rewarding and seeing objective progress is what keeps me going day after day for little to no pay. Good psychologists are few and far between but if you know what you are doing, you'd be amazed at the effect you can have on others suffering.

I still like doing individual therapy but really am into intensive structural family therapy. I see families nearly every other day for 8 months and the progress can be astounding. Not to toot my own but one family I am prepping for discharge came to me with a 20 year history of complete dysfunction with mom and dad on the brink of divorce. Today they look like friggin newlyweds and the kids (which are most important to me) are happier than ever. With the erosion of family values and escalating divorces rates being what they are, I can't think of more important work I'd rather be doing.

dl

trader

Reaction score
Not too interested in clinical psych in the long run. It's the experimentation that really interests me. Particularly social psych.
My degree was in evolutionary and behavioral (social) psych. Like someone else said, I can't imagine listening to people's problems all day. I have a hard enough time just listening to my friends problems! My goal was to do experimental psych which most likely meant becoming a professor. I chose not to at the end of my last year and I sort of regret it now. I'm so bored of my work nowadays that I've been thinking about contacting my old thesis adviser and seeing if he has any work I could do in my spare time (for free). Back then we created computer models/simulations to find the optimal learning/behavioral patterns of male insects for successful mating (to which I would have later applied to human womenz for my own personal benefit). A field with very few people because there aren't many psychologists with math and programming skills (I have a minor in astrophysics and had been programming since I was a kid). It was interesting research but I was lured by the sexiness of big money. Every now and then I see behaviors, human or animal, and I think about experiments or models that could help better explain them. It would be great to publish a paper one day though I would need the help of an academic. But I totally agree with you on your thoughts about finance. I work independently now as a trader (high-frequency algorithmic trading). We add no value to society. We try to convince the public that we're adding liquidity so they should thank us but all we really do is skim off people's long term investments so people can retire with a little less and we can retire with a lot more. The only people we make richer are ourselves and our brokers. It's soulless and BS, but hey, at least I can buy myself nice things. Sometimes I feel like my life is so meaningless.... I'm looking to change careers to something I would enjoy doing but I can't think of anything that I would like doing after the novelty wears off a few weeks/months into it. Maybe I need to go see a psychologist... Or maybe I'm just not making enough money
laugh.gif
okay enough about me, more about you

pdsf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
Interest in neuropsych may appeal to you but what are you going to do with it that pays besides research and teach?

A lot!
smile.gif
I will be done with my post-doc in neuropsych this year. Going forward I could do neurocognitive evals in TBI, stroke, neurologic D/Os, all types of dementias, etc., as well as provide therapy to patients and families who have been affected by such disorders. Whenever functioning is disrupted secondary to (suspected or confirmed) brain dysfunction, there is something for a neuropsychologist to do. The forensic arena pays very well - sports teams, prisons, DAs, etc - they all hire neuropsychologists to do evals and of course, testify.

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
That is exactly why I am not interested in clinical psych. I am cruel in that I don't want to help people as much as I want to understand them.

This is exactly what I'm like, but I'm currently in a clinical PhD program. Do not, under any circumstances, do a clinical PhD if all you're interested in is the research. I am learning this the hard way.

locallau

Reaction score
I remember reading something about your being interested on social psychology as well. Since you somewhat corporate already, another consideration would be to pursue the Industrial Psychology field. Pretty much psychology (social factors) applied to the business world. This is currently what I'm interested in. I'm going to be applying to graduate schools within the year, but I'm not quire sure which field just yet. The one I am considering is called "Human Factors." If you're curious, give it a quick google.

With this you may be able to pursue your interest in psychology without having to go through much additional education, and your salary won't take much of a hit.

pdsf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by locallau
I remember reading something about your being interested on social psychology as well. Since you somewhat corporate already, another consideration would be to pursue the Industrial Psychology field. Pretty much psychology (social factors) applied to the business world. This is currently what I'm interested in. I'm going to be applying to graduate schools within the year, but I'm not quire sure which field just yet. The one I am considering is called "Human Factors." If you're curious, give it a quick google.

With this you may be able to pursue your interest in psychology without having to go through much additional education, and your salary won't take much of a hit.

I/O psych may be a good match. I have not looked into it much (even though I have to study it for the licensing exam...) but I wonder if companies require formal M.S. or Ph.D. qualifications? My grad school have both tracks, with formal internships/placements in corporate settings.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by locallau
I remember reading something about your being interested on social psychology as well. Since you somewhat corporate already, another consideration would be to pursue the Industrial Psychology field. Pretty much psychology (social factors) applied to the business world. This is currently what I'm interested in. I'm going to be applying to graduate schools within the year, but I'm not quire sure which field just yet. The one I am considering is called "Human Factors." If you're curious, give it a quick google. With this you may be able to pursue your interest in psychology without having to go through much additional education, and your salary won't take much of a hit.
I did human factors research in uni. Interesting field until you spend all day waiting for people to click a moving box on screen 500 times. I wanted to do I/O but the only prof at my school that did it gave me a B- on my first project with her and that was the end of that. Who cares about organizational commitment anyway? Then I started doing evolutionary psychology which was absolutely amazing but I was too far into my degree to get into the necessary labs to segue into grad school. So I also now work in finance after a couple years as a head hunter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads