• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Gotcha. Sorry for being out of touch. Funny, I am not surprised that Pio is going with the grand pairing. Dunno why. Still had to prep hungover though -- sorry.

No worries whatsoever. BTW, when is your trip to wine country going to take place?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
No worries whatsoever. BTW, when is your trip to wine country going to take place?
When I get both a J.D. and company. One is, at least, 3.5 yrs off. The other....I dunno.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
When I get both a J.D. and company. One is, at least, 3.5 yrs off. The other....I dunno.

Sooner rather than later, I hope. Although I imagine a girl would mess up your daily schedule even more.
smile.gif

Pix:
Read em and weep, Jealous SFers.

Stefania:

stefania.jpg

Icewine:

vidal.jpg

Apologies for the poor pic on the icewine. The label itself is glossy, so it was hard to get a clear shot.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just finished another bottle of 2007 Bodegas La Cartuja, Priorat and I love this wine. Lucious dark fruits balanced with silky tannins and warm minerality make this bottle an amazing value at $16.99!

Serg

Reaction score
User Profile not public. Do I have to sign up?

Fixed it public now. My collection is probably not that impressive but considering I live a 800sqft loft and am 25, I am happy with it.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Serg
Fixed it public now. My collection is probably not that impressive but considering I live a 800sqft loft and am 25, I am happy with it.

My collection consists of the two bottles posted upthread.
smile.gif

Pio says he's going to give us a write up on his trip, but the netwebz at his hotel has been down, so it might have to wait until he gets back home.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we supplied the wine for my startup's first mgmt dinner . Here's what we had and some brief thoughts:

2005 finca sandoval - I used to trade bon mots with the winemaker when he was just a wine writer in Spain. We liked a lot of the same wine so I wasn't all too surprised that I liked his wine. Unfortunately, the price has gotten out of hand and we stopped buying but when the wine came up on cinderella for $20, we snapped up a case. Turned out to be a crowd pleaser at the dinner, the wine was layered with black and red fruit and with beautiful, round tannins. Wish I had bought more...

2006 alesia pinot noir - I've posted here about rhys winery. After tasting this wine, everyone on our mgmt team joined the mailing list. Again, an easy to understand wine, tasting more of cherries than cola and a beautiful, beautiful nose of cherry blossoms and earth.

1995 la jota cab franc - we thought this would have started to shed some fruit so we served it early in the night...mistake, this is still a big, burly cab franc. I find the green pepper a little off-putting, we'll see where this is in another 5 years.

1996 phelps insignia - When I picked this out, I thought it was going to be a mistake and it was. My wife and I thought this the best wine of the night but the loss of fruit and the acquisition of secondary flavors was lost on my colleagues. The most feminine wine of the night, seductive nose of cherries, vanilla and cedar, the wine still had great fruit but a complexity we usually don't associate with a ca. cab. Just a great, great wine, I'm afraid a lot of people didn't finish this wine.

not part of the dinner, we had a 1994 dominus on xmas day. Someone had given us this as a gift many years ago, my wife served it blind and I guessed bordeaux, which I guess is the point. It was a very, very nice wine but I've never thought it worth the fare and this bottle didn't change my mind.

Last night we had a big zin, the 2007 four vines biker zin. I guess this was well-made but over-extracted to my palate and not enough spice to keep my interest. We used to be on the turley list and I came to appreciate their on-the-edge style but the biker didn't do it for me.

we've had some pretty good cheapies, I'll try to post over the new year's weekend on some of them.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sooner rather than later, I hope. Although I imagine a girl would mess up your daily schedule even more.
smile.gif

Me too. BTW, k, I don't care about my daily schedule....

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Serg
Wow you have a great collection. Especially the Ridge and Turley.
drool.gif

Me too. BTW, k, I don't care about my daily schedule....

cheers.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Speaking of cellartracker/cellars, how do you guys store your wine? I know Piob has a big-timer double doored vinotemp. I'm looking for something that will hold 30 bottles, or less. I can't really see myself storing any more than that at any time in the foreseeable future. Also, I can't spring for a Vinotemp, although I recognize the importance of the temp and humidity control.
Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it under $100 if possible. Doesn't even need to be a refrigerator. A nice looking wine rack would be fine.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of cellartracker/cellars, how do you guys store your wine? I know Piob has a big-timer double doored vinotemp. I'm looking for something that will hold 30 bottles, or less. I can't really see myself storing any more than that at any time in the foreseeable future. Also, I can't spring for a Vinotemp, although I recognize the importance of the temp and humidity control. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it under $100 if possible. Doesn't even need to be a refrigerator. A nice looking wine rack would be fine.
I have a little Sanyo SR-2406 24 bottle wine fridge ($240 or so) for the "good stuff" (Kistler, Silver Oak, Shafer Hillside, vintage ports, etc.).
21330012-260x260-0-0_Sanyo+Sanyo+SR+2406+24+Bottle+Wine.jpg
Then I keep a several wood racks from the Container Store in an interior closet with no HVAC vents for the stuff I expect to drink in fairly short order. I have 28 bottles in the fridge (some are .375) and about 22 bottles in the closet.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I have a little Sanyo SR-2406 24 bottle wine fridge ($240 or so) for the "good stuff" (Kistler, Silver Oak, Shafer Hillside, vintage ports, etc.).
21330012-260x260-0-0_Sanyo+Sanyo+SR+2406+24+Bottle+Wine.jpg

Then I keep a several wood racks from the Container Store in an interior closet with no HVAC vents for the stuff I expect to drink in fairly short order. I have 28 bottles in the fridge (some are .375) and about 22 bottles in the closet.

This one?

That seems pretty nice. I like how it's a simple cube and you can add more.
I also like these.
http://www.ewineracks.com/decorative...ngwinerack.cfm
http://www.ewineracks.com/decorative...toragerack.cfm
http://www.ewineracks.com/decorative...bestseller.cfm

I also need one that would accomodate champagne style bottles and maybe magnums. I question whether these would, without seeing them in person.
Decisions decisions...

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of cellartracker/cellars, how do you guys store your wine? I know Piob has a big-timer double doored vinotemp. I'm looking for something that will hold 30 bottles, or less. I can't really see myself storing any more than that at any time in the foreseeable future. Also, I can't spring for a Vinotemp, although I recognize the importance of the temp and humidity control. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it under $100 if possible. Doesn't even need to be a refrigerator. A nice looking wine rack would be fine.
Upstairs in the main bar I have a 36-btl U-Line, for wine I frequently drink as well as some...erm, 'showier' specimens. Downstairs there are a pair of fairly cheap Franklin Chef (I think, dunno) 50btl coolers for the rest. Heck, K, Home Depot sells some fairly inexpensive wine coolers these days -- and some small capacity ones also, 6,12, and 24 bottles, I believe. They have a 6-btl cooler for $50, and a 16 btl for $140 I see. If you just want a rack, I'd say hit up a Target if you have those. ~ H

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This one? That seems pretty nice. I like how it's a simple cube and you can add more. I also need one that would accomodate champagne style bottles and maybe magnums. I question whether these would, without seeing them in person. Decisions decisions...
Yes. Mine accomodates champagne bottles, but probably wouldn't accommodate magnums except on the top rack. The main issue for me is that it doesn't really accommodate half-bottles (.375's), so my desert wines go in the wine fridge or get stored in boxes on the floor of the closet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads