• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Serg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Speaking of cellartracker/cellars, how do you guys store your wine? I know Piob has a big-timer double doored vinotemp. I'm looking for something that will hold 30 bottles, or less. I can't really see myself storing any more than that at any time in the foreseeable future. Also, I can't spring for a Vinotemp, although I recognize the importance of the temp and humidity control. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it under $100 if possible. Doesn't even need to be a refrigerator. A nice looking wine rack would be fine.
I don't use a fridge. My place is 68 degrees all year and I doubt I will keep any of the bottles over for long enough for it to matter. All my bottles are stacked across my kitchen cabinets in two layers.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Upstairs in the main bar I have a 36-btl U-Line, for wine I frequently drink as well as some...erm, 'showier' specimens. Downstairs there are a pair of fairly cheap Franklin Chef (I think, dunno) 50btl coolers for the rest. Heck, K, Home Depot sells some fairly inexpensive wine coolers these days -- and some small capacity ones also, 6,12, and 24 bottles, I believe. They have a 6-btl cooler for $50, and a 16 btl for $140 I see.

If you just want a rack, I'd say hit up a Target if you have those.

~ H

Thanks H. I'll probably get a rack instead of a fridge. Seems to make more sense for me fiscally.
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Yes. Mine accomodates champagne bottles, but probably wouldn't accommodate magnums except on the top rack. The main issue for me is that it doesn't really accommodate half-bottles (.375's), so my desert wines go in the wine fridge or get stored in boxes on the floor of the closet.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Serg
I don't use a fridge. My place is 68 degrees all year and I doubt I will keep any of the bottles over for long enough for it to matter. All my bottles are stacked across my kitchen cabinets in two layers.
Yeah, our place is at 68 year round too, so it shouldn't matter. I really don't need any kind of storage, as our kitchen is full of unused cabinet space. I just like the idea of having one.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need to be careful if you are buying a cellar on the cheap. I had purchased one from iwawine.com and the temperature would fluctuate like CRAZY. I would wake up in the morning and it would be like 45 degrees, 55 deg., 65 deg and all kinds of different temperatures throughout the day.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I just have a small thing my brother got me at Best Buy. Has been consistent with the temperature control, doesn't take up much room, and look quite nice.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Short term storage, racks are fine. Longer, a dedicated wine fridge is nice. But, as suggested, you get what you pay for. I have a GE for storage. Looks nice, holds 50 bottles, and, as most wine won't be stored for more than 3/4 years, is fine. It holds 57 degrees very well and the motor seems very quiet (vibration control). The more expensive units maintain humidity so much better and vibration is almost nil. Cheaper models can't compete.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Went to the FedEx office and got my shipment from Cindy wines today:
Wine019.jpg

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I will be back home in 2 or so hours. Plenty of wine pictures to share, I'll see if I can get to them tonight.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the barolos have arrived! What the hell took so long? Usually, I get mine 1-2 days after placing the order. I know I'm in NJ and all but even if I buy something from Cali I usually have it no more than two days.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
some bottles that I had over Christmas weekend.

Started off with this delicious wheat beer on Christmas eve. Didn't take into consideration the higher alcohol content, the bigger size, and the emptier stomach - it put me to sleep for some time in the afternoon.
2854247300043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

Any surprises?
2990884960043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

2465122220043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

One of the most Earth-driven Chiantis I've had in a while. This one needs time.
2646025410043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

At a restaurant we had a great Vino Nobile de Montepulciano. And my GF's squab was delicious.

A Champagne taste off. Both were great bottles and were perfect for the fish and greens we made. The Heidsieck, however, was clearly the better bottle. It was both more exciting and more refined. In addition, the back end was superior, this was the most noticeable difference between the two bottles. For $29 from WL, the Heidsieck is a stellar value.
2075114430043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

2356470940043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

Hope everybody had a great holiday, I hope to see some wine pics.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went through a few of those Schneiders over the summer, theyre great for those hot summer bar-b-qs. Did you pour like this? I love Ripassos and I wish I saved a couple bottles of 2004 Musellas.

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a few bottles of a 2007 Domaine Graveirette Cotes Du Rhone from Wine Library. Anyone have anything to say about Cotes Du Rhone?

I only bought 3 bottles of the Cinderella Barolo. What a mistake, I wish I had bought a whole case. Very tasty wine.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
So the barolos have arrived! What the hell took so long? Usually, I get mine 1-2 days after placing the order. I know I'm in NJ and all but even if I buy something from Cali I usually have it no more than two days.

Mine was held hostage by FedEx for more than a week due to delivery issues followed by me being out of town for several days.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have not had the same luck that others have had with CdR. A few weeks ago I had a 90 pt Robert Parker CdR that I found disgustingly astringent and not very well put together, and it has been the same for many others I have drank. I have had the same luck with malbec. After all the malbecs I've had I can't recall one that I found "good."

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats interesting. I have never found a lot of luck with Malbec. Maybe I will try a bottle of CdR from my local wine shop before I buy a bunch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads