• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What car would you get with $55k?

hws

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
however, there is a better plan: this
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Gallardo2501

Reaction score
You can get a perfect NSX for the money that you are looking to spend. Don't let the age scare you, deep down its still a Honda.

They're a lot of fun, quick enough, and (mildly) exotic. The only issue would be storage and ground clearance.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At that age, I wouldn't buy a depreciating asset.

I would roll a classic SL if I decided to buy a car.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Classic is an interesting question -- but most people will prefer a contemporary vehicle as a daily. As to classic -- the SL is an obvious choice and a timeless and tasteful one.

One car I have not heard mentioned is a used BMW 6-series. If you are amenable to a few miles, you can get into an M6 at close to your price point.

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
the M3 gets my vote. Cayman is good but the M3 offers more versatility.

however, there is a better plan:

this
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I'd get the M3...
bigstar[1].gif

Dburr

Reaction score
After following this thread, I'd just say - I personally don't understand spending that kind of money on an SUV.

DesignerValet

Reaction score
A 2011 Mercedes E350 BlueTec diesel or a used S550.

Yes, I'm biased
laugh.gif
Then again I've never been a fan of smaller, "sporty" cars. When my grandmother's V6 Lexus has more power than you could ever need on a daily basis, a car so focused on performance seems unnecessary IMO.

*waiting for response from irate M3 and Porsche lovers*

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DesignerValet
A 2011 Mercedes E350 BlueTec diesel or a used S550.

Yes, I'm biased
laugh.gif
Then again I've never been a fan of smaller, "sporty" cars. When my grandmother's V6 Lexus has more power than you could ever need on a daily basis, a car so focused on performance seems unnecessary IMO.
*waiting for response from irate M3 and Porsche lovers*

no arguments here; I told him to get an a5

Sherlockian

Reaction score
Does it have to be new? I hate to state the obvious, but you'll lose a heck of a lot more money on a new car than one (Honda NSX, for example) that has done most of its depreciating but should still be reliable.

Otherwise, S5 or S4/RS4. A Z06 might be my personal choice, just because in the UK they are rare exotics (I've never seen a single one on the road), and performance-wise they can hang with much more expensive (but common here) stuff like F430s and Gallardos.

For those bashing the image of the Porsche, I have to ask: doesn't the M3 have a similarly bad rep? They're almost exclusively driven - rudely - by asshats in the UK.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chiaroscuro
overcompensaters want something fast and flashy b/c they want to impress their social circle. Not b/c they actually have a passion and genuine interest in that style of car. I've liked fast cars since I was a child and I will continue to like them until I die. So when I am 45 and I have the money to get that expensive fast car, it will come from my interest in the car. Not b/c I want to impress anyone

am I the only one that sees nothing wrong with someone with money buying a car because they want to and they think people will want to be them when they see them in it? Now, if I had the money to spend I would buy an M3 or Cayman because I think both cars look great and are great performance wise. But by god, don't for a second think I'm not also buying it to indicate I've reached baller status.

At least I'm honest
blush.gif

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherlockian
Does it have to be new? I hate to state the obvious, but you'll lose a heck of a lot more money on a new car than one (Honda NSX, for example) that has done most of its depreciating but should still be reliable.

Otherwise, S5 or S4/RS4. A Z06 might be my personal choice, just because in the UK they are rare exotics (I've never seen a single one on the road), and performance-wise they can hang with much more expensive (but common here) stuff like F430s and Gallardos.

For those bashing the image of the Porsche, I have to ask: doesn't the M3 have a similarly bad rep? They're almost exclusively driven - rudely - by asshats in the UK.

No definitely does not have to be new. I would actually rather get like an 09 or something that has been slightly used. Let someone else take the major hit. But I'm open to classics. I would love a 63-67 Vette but I need something reliable because it will be a daily driver.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
Classic is an interesting question -- but most people will prefer a contemporary vehicle as a daily. As to classic -- the SL is an obvious choice and a timeless and tasteful one. One car I have not heard mentioned is a used BMW 6-series. If you are amenable to a few miles, you can get into an M6 at close to your price point.
I would like a classic car but it needs to be reliable and have heating/air conditioning. O also for the record, I don't need crazy performance. I have a motorcycle that will crap all over Ferraris and Lambos so I want some power but I'd rather have a more comfortable/luxurious interior.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
I would like a classic car but it needs to be reliable and have heating/air conditioning.

O also for the record, I don't need crazy performance. I have a motorcycle that will crap all over Ferraris and Lambos so I want some power but I'd rather have a more comfortable/luxurious interior.

Okay, obviously I'm a bit in love with my new ride, but since you'll go used, here's a thought: a used GL, but get the 550 or the AMG. You say you want luxury, practical, and easy daily driver, these are all three. But that AMG and the 550 really haul ass. Even my 450 does 0-60 in 6.7.

Nomad_K

Reaction score
If I missed the following answer in another post, apologies: what do you want out of the car other than a daily driver? Daily driver + weekend track car, run through a canyon, cruising with friends, impressing one person or another? There are a slew of great ideas here. They all have their pros & cons. -American cars - some image issues depending on the crowd... I personally don't give a **** as I buy a car to drive, not to make a statement to anyone. Great value for money, access to parts, tuning, and in the case of the z06 crazy fuel economy on the highway
smile.gif
. If I was back in the US I would be very tempted to pick up a Z06 for a daily. -European cars - better image wise for certain groups (not people I would want to impress but...), great performance, pricey off of warranty. M3, Cayman, used AMG car, S5, CPO'd 911... the list goes on. No one mentioned a used XK-R or XJ-R but both pull like a freight train at speed. -Japanese cars - you will catch crap from some Euro or American car fans - enthusiasts won't care. Great mix of cars including: New - Lexus IS-F, GS hybrid (quick if not terribly eco-friendly from a life cycle point of view), G37 or 370Z (with money left over for serious tuning,) or used cars from Japan's hey day (Supra, NSX). If you are really after a drivers car with some practicality, you could also try a well tuned STI or Lancer Evolution X and still have some $ left over for a track car, a bike, or whatever else peaks your interest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads