• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What car would you get with $55k?

hws

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Best post in the entire thread.
I speak the correct thing!
smile.gif
I must to say, the ladies with beer in your photo look so nice!
inlove.gif

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well-optioned 335i coupe, pocket the extra $5K.

Runningman411

Reaction score
Used BMW 335 coupe ($30-$35K) and drop in the full Vishnu package ($3k). You'll need the left over money for tires and speeding tickets. For less than $40k, you'll have a 420 hp rocket that does 0-60 in less than 5 secs.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Runningman411
Used BMW 335 coupe ($30-$35K) and drop in the full Vishnu package ($3k). You'll need the left over money for tires and speeding tickets. For less than $40k, you'll have a 420 hp rocket that does 0-60 in less than 5 secs.

No need. I have a motorcycle with 125hp. If I were to get a high hp car it would have to be real high. Like 500+. I'd rather have a car with a nicer ride and interior.

I'm actually leaning towards a new Mercedes GLK350. With it fully loaded the sticker is still under 50k. It's practical, AWD, has a lot of space to carry stuff, and I think great looks. I know the GL was mentioned, but that's way too big I think to be practical unless you have a big family or something. I love the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade but again that's just way too big. And there's some cool body kits and parts coming out for them. Don't know how easy it is to get the stuff in the U.S. but there is the option of the AMG styling kit as well. This is the Lorinser.
mercedes-benz-glk-lorinser-3.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Maybe the middle choice? The ML? Get that AMG version and it really smokes, plus it's shorter wheel base than the GL. My wife has the ML and it's a nice handling little machine.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Maybe the middle choice? The ML? Get that AMG version and it really smokes, plus it's shorter wheel base than the GL. My wife has the ML and it's a nice handling little machine.

Yea maybe. I've showed the GLK to a couple friends and they all think it looks like a Subaru Forrester with a MB badge. This is tough. There's a ton of stuff I like but there's things about them all that I don't like either. What do you guys think about a used Porsche Cayenne S? I'm just really worried about service costs. And does anybody know if you can change the oil yourself on those? Because I know somebody on here has one and he said it was $900 to get an oil change at the dealership. No way I'll buy a car that you have to spend 900 a change. You couldn't get to the filter on my SLK55 so it had to be done at the dealership and it was 400 bucks. I thought that was crazy.

rvan

Reaction score
I'd go for BMW M3 or Lotus Elise. Two very different cars, but they're my favorite from that range.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rvan
I'd go for BMW M3 or Lotus Elise. Two very different cars, but they're my favorite from that range.

The Exige is pretty cool. And I'd be willing to spend up to 75k. But can someone over 6' fit comfortably in those? And I don't think they would make for very practical daily drivers. So I'd probably have to pass on it anyway. But if I like the car enough I'd be willing to spend 75 so feel free to give suggestions up to that.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
I, personally, would get an A5. Get a slightly used one for ~45 in U.S.A and pay it all up front.

My choice too...

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i forgot about the Lotus. i think a fairly tall person would fit in it, but it definitely is not what you would call luxurious or even comfortable if you're talking about a daily driver. but it's the closest to an out-of-the-box track car that i've ever experienced. plus, it isn't a car where ownership of the vagin is a prerequisite
lol8[1].gif

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd probably get a 993 instead of a Cayman. Both are expensive to maintain but with the 993 you don't have to worry as much about depreciation.

For 10k more though you could spring for a turbo
drool.gif

12482398003.253501966.IM1.08.565x421_A.565x291.jpg

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
I'm looking for some advice about an estate. I'm named in the will as 50% heir to the estate along with another person 50%. That person is named as a 50% beneficiary in all of the bank accounts and annuities along with another person 50% who has passed away. I am only named as beneficiary on one of the annuities. The purpose of the will was to ensure I get half but the beneficiary information was never changed. We have put the will through the proper court, I guess the probate court. I know nothing about this but it seems dumb to have this lawyer take care of everything and go to probate right? It seems like by law the other person (who is named as a beneficiary and still living) would automatically get the entire estate and then they would split it with me, or do we need to go through probate by law since the beneficiaries weren't changed and the one has passed away?

Sounds like you got your estate issue resolved, time for some decent wheels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads