• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lands' End Canvas

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
Just got my order. Here's my rundown: Chino Pant: This was the biggest surprise to me. Really, really nice. They are surprisingly lower rise than typical Lands End. The fabric is soft, but not heavy. I have a pair of J Crew Officer's Chinos on order, but I will be surprised if I like them better. Big winner here. I also am digging the MacNeils I got. Though not Lands End, the 25% discount was nice. No defects in mine. Also got a messenger bag. They are actually kinda cool.
For anyone who got the chinos, are they slim or relaxed as it appears on the site photos. What's the leg opening measurement? How did they compare to the J Crew officer chinos?

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wannabeagiant
For anyone who got the chinos, are they slim or relaxed as it appears on the site photos. What's the leg opening measurement? How did they compare to the J Crew officer chinos?

I will have to do measurements later, but the quick and dirty is that they seem to be straight, not slim. Sit on the hips as opposed to the waist. I thought they were similar fit to officer chinos. The fabric is soft, not slub like the officer chino.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Collar aside, I am really liking the striped Oxfords I received. Cheap at 25% off, and the "pieced sleeve" is interesting. As someone with very narrow arms I like the taper.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a hand written note as well, surprising but very nice touch. I like this stuff and will likely order more.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also got the card. The handwriting looks just like an American schoolgirl's -- what can the Sri Lankans not do these days?

a-rock

Reaction score
+1 on the card. Although I know the above post was sarcastic, you definitely aren't dealing with a call center halfway around the world. Customer service is great.

My first order had free shipping and 25% off. I wanted another oxford so called customer service and asked whether I could still get the discount on the reorder and they said sure. Basically they'd just treat it as an exchange where I reorder over phone and return in store, although it's really up to me whether I actually return or not. The rep I talked to said she's super bummed that they won't let employees purchase any of the Canvas stuff yet because supplies are limited and demand has been above expectations.

So the shirts came out to $22 each for me.
smile.gif

White chambray: echo the sentiments of another poster - sounds great but ends up looking like a bad oxford. I don't like the buttons not only because they're cheap (to be expected), but because of the size.

Poplins: love the softness but worry about durability and thinness.

Oxfords: great! Love the fabric - not too thin, not too thick. I know some prefer a heavy oxford but that's actually the reason I've never really bought oxford shirts. The trim on the inside of the cuffs serves no purpose aesthetically or functionally but I like the effort. They're obviously copying what Jcrew has done with contrasting sleeve plackets and gussets.

cicero79

Reaction score
+1 on the pricing for these. Wish I had found out about these during the 25% off discount , but I got free shipping on these so they still came out very reasonably priced.

I know we're not talking about quality on the level of our affiliates, Epaulet, MJK, Boo, Gitman, etc. But for the price point, it's a reasonable buy, at least in my price range. The Gull Gray is a very nice shade and the blue is also not too shabby either, i've seen the blue oxford offerings from both Gitman and Epaulet and those are by far a much more richer blue.

A great shirt for day-to-day wear without worries that it'll fall apart on you like an H&M or Express shirt. A better fit for those who have not yet svelted up to fit the tent-sized smalls that many brands produce. Slim arms but not BoO slim, could taper more at the hem, but makes for a great look when tucked in, shoulders are spot on as well.

The collars on the oxford leave something to be desired after feeling an Epaulet shirt, but it's understandable that something is going to give if i'm paying 28 bucks a pop for them.

Overrall, a good shirt that'll get plenty of use.

sccoopy

Reaction score
I also got couple of chambray and oxford. I think it is not fare to compare this with BoO or Gitman, so I just want to have some comments on their comparison with Jcrew.

collar: equally flimsy, but acceptable as a casual shirt

fit: definitely fit me better than the Jcrew shirt, it is a tad shorter than Jcrew. If they shrink a little bit after wash, then the length would be perfect for untucked look. The sleeves are generally slimmer than Jcrew. The Jcrew chambray sleeves are huge.

Fabric and button quality: Jcrew wins here. Jcrew's fabric is a bit more thick and feels better.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
For any fellow Canadians out there, you can return any Lands End stuff to Sears stores so no extra return shipping costs.

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the khaki chambray and really like it for the price. Sleeves are short but I never planned to wear it without the sleeves rolled up anyway and it fits fine otherwise.

Also got the handwritten note. It's a nice touch.

golfham

Reaction score
Any more coupons from this site?

EDIT:

Nevermind. Use this coupon for Free shipping (min. $50 order), guys:

CODE: LIGHTS
PIN: 1122

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by golfham
Any more coupons from this site?

EDIT:

Nevermind. Use this coupon for 25% off + Free shipping, guys:

CODE: LIGHTS
PIN: 1122

it gives free shipping, but not 25% off
-also says $50 min order

golfham

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Meis
it gives free shipping, but not 25% off
-also says $50 min order

Yeah, I just noticed that--and subsequently asked a CSR about it. It's just free shipping
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads