• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Hopsack Suit?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Stopped selling other brand's office pants
teacha.gif

edmorel: Quality Maker?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
The Buffet residence, the lady of the house speaking!

Originally Posted by youngtoff
Watching Americans argue about class is like watching pygmies wrestle.

There is only one class distinction that matters, and only two classes. Those that can trace their family back before 1066, who can wear what they like and it doesn't matter, and those who can not trace their family back that far, who can also wear what they like, but because they don't matter.

Oh yeah? You probably had to buy your own furniture!
devil.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist

There is only one class distinction that matters, and only two classes. Those that can trace their family back before 1066, who can wear what they like and it doesn't matter, and those who can not trace their family back that far, who can also wear what they like, but because they don't matter.

You realize, of course, that you have just opened the door for FNB to discuss his noble Norman ancestry.

- B

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It should also be noted that, irrespective of social class and wealth, some doods just have a knack for being classless turds.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Just recently, we had a delightful dinner with acquaintances of secure and unimpeachable society. Early 1800s merchant money. A prominent abolitionist family. The most well known member of this family commanded the 54th Regiment in the Civil War, a topic that many of you would know from the movie Glory.

They are comfortable, but not what would be considered rich. So, yes, I agree that there are aspects to certain types of traditional type social standing that are immediately unrelated to money and that money cannot buy perhaps except through the passage of time and generations.

But, I also think that modernity has largely overswept this form of cultural prominence in America and put in its stead an amorphous and ever changing soup of money, mass celebrity, and maybe even a bit of manufactured meritocracy. But, as Poo noted earlier and perhaps this is what you mean as well, vestiges of the past are still mixed in with this.

The degree to which this is true probably continues to have some regional variation.

I think what I'm getting at is more obvious among those who have money than those who don't. One can become rich and never escape his social class.

Admittedly, this is a viewpoint very much informed by having been brought up in the South, where the past isn't as distant as in other locales.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
The last time I can remember laughing at somebody's apparel was after a dinner party at which a Boston based charity was looking to raise a substantial amount of money for a CA expansion. It was a rather small party, maybe twenty people, and one person whom I have known for thirty years showed up in khakis, a blue buttondown and a tie with pictures of his kids on it. If there were ever an outfit that said "garbageman out on the town" this would have been it. Of course, they guy was also exactly what vox described as a certain upper class (Exeter, Princeton, Harvard, Bohemian Club etc,) though he happens to be very active in the world these days as well.

No doubt, he has strong feelings about hopsack, and is constantly on the lookout for its appearence in an errant suit.

Your story points out another thing, though. Certain important types of social activity...particularly charity and partronage of the arts...cannot be practiced easily without a bit of dough. Talent and taste can sometimes work, but in most cases, you have to have a checkbook.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I think what I'm getting at is more obvious among those who have money than those who don't.

Admittedly, this is a viewpoint very much informed by having been brought up in the South, where the past isn't as distant as in other locales.

Most importantly: how harshly do they judge the hopsack wearer?

- B

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
No doubt, he has strong feelings about hopsack, and is constantly on the lookout for its appearence in an errant suit.

Your story points out another thing, though. Certain important types of social activity...particularly charity and partronage of the arts...cannot be practiced easily without a bit of dough. Talent and taste can sometimes work, but in most cases, you have to have a checkbook.

- B

You can't buy your way into the RJ cat Posse.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
You can't buy your way into the RJ cat Posse.

... But I've read that you can wear your (velvet slipper) way in!

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist

smile.gif

Closer

Reaction score
I have no use for any other measure of success, other than personal success. I have no use for classes

I am never impressed by what someones ancestors have accomplished. That is like the white supremicist, born in a trailer park, who is proud just to be born white.

This kind of thinking is like admitting that your life peaked at birth.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vankteshsvami