• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old movies on blu-ray... Is there ever a point?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
In response to the several questions raised above:
On the audio side I'm using my two channel system -- I have used a separate surround set up, but am too attached to the synergies in my two channel set up to move back to surround. I have YBA monoblocks / YBA preamp / separate power supplies / and a PS Audio PowerPlant power regenerator. To avoid distraction, I won't discuss cables.

Why not move them to a separate listening room and get something for HT? You're missing out!

On the aspect ratio: I have a strong preference for 2.35:1 but bear in mind that not all content will arrive in that format (for example, television shows on DVD), and that the projector's memory lens feature is not truly anamorphic. Accordingly, I use 6:9. The lens memory feature is very easy to set up and use.

On why a projector: Image size and quality. I can get stunning 120" images, although for the space I have a preference for a smaller image size. Also, I do not watch television and do not have cable -- I watch content only through NetFlix DVDs or Vudu. I have not used the Netflix streaming service with my projector.
We are the same here. I don't watch TV with the exception of downloaded episodes of gossip girl which I'm just as happy to watch on my computer monitor.
blush.gif
My viewing is almost entirely movies other than that. I'm going with a 2.35:1 screen because the movies I like fall heavily into that range. I know i'll lose image size when I watch 1.85:1 or other material, but it doesn't really bother me. The stuff that's in that aspect ratio tends to be comedies and dramas, where I care less about filling the screen (and eventually I'll get a masking system anyway).

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
We are the same here. I don't watch TV with the exception of downloaded episodes of gossip girl which I'm just as happy to watch on my computer monitor.
blush.gif
My viewing is almost entirely movies other than that. I'm going with a 2.35:1 screen because the movies I like fall heavily into that range. I know i'll lose image size when I watch 1.85:1 or other material, but it doesn't really bother me. The stuff that's in that aspect ratio tends to be comedies and dramas, where I care less about filling the screen (and eventually I'll get a masking system anyway).

Seriously, you haz teh ****.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Seriously, you haz teh ****.

Puhlease. I'm str8 as a ruler.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FWIW, for those buying blu-ray discs, I highly recommend creating wish lists on amazon. I've been creating myself prioritized lists and even in the space of a couple days it's amazing how much prices on certain discs can change. The two I noticed immediately were The Dark Knight caming down $3-4 and Sin City going up from $17 to 24. The Departed dropped $5 since yesterday. The lists make it easy to keep an eye on the discs you want and snipe them when they are at a low price. It takes some time up front but will make a big difference over the course of hundreds of discs.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
AVR or separates. I like the Anthem stuff on paper but i haven't listened to it yet. The last time i auditioned gear was 3-4 years ago.

Anthem has a lot of good features, and they seem to be on top of updating their firmware, and it's mostly Canadian, too, eh. However, the one time I saw a picture of its insides, I wasn't very impressed. Nevertheless, listen to it, and if it sounds good, then that's good enough.

For AVRs, Denon is good. Their reference AVP, the AVP-A1HD, is supposed to be very good as well, but you will need separate amps, and it's a bit more than $5K. I hope you've budgeted for a 7.1 system.

--Andre

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Anthem has a lot of good features, and they seem to be on top of updating their firmware, and it's mostly Canadian, too, eh. However, the one time I saw a picture of its insides, I wasn't very impressed. Nevertheless, listen to it, and if it sounds good, then that's good enough.

For AVRs, Denon is good. Their reference AVP, the AVP-A1HD, is supposed to be very good as well, but you will need separate amps, and it's a bit more than $5K. I hope you've budgeted for a 7.1 system.

--Andre

I'm like the government. There's a "budget", but it doesn't really mean anything. It will cost what it will cost.
cheers.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Anthem has a lot of good features, and they seem to be on top of updating their firmware, and it's mostly Canadian, too, eh. However, the one time I saw a picture of its insides, I wasn't very impressed. Nevertheless, listen to it, and if it sounds good, then that's good enough. For AVRs, Denon is good. Their reference AVP, the AVP-A1HD, is supposed to be very good as well, but you will need separate amps, and it's a bit more than $5K. I hope you've budgeted for a 7.1 system. --Andre
Oh and not just firmware. They often provide hardware upgrades as well. They did this for room correction and video processing and hdmi on older models.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I think the McMansion crowd tends to go more for B&O and Bose.

+1

Most people still haven't heard of McIntosh, even rich people, except maybe the ones that got the Robb Report issue that talked about stereos and HT (I'm assuming there was one). They are doing some decent product placement in movies these days. I always notice that sexy glass. I think they have to increase this since there's even less brand awareness among the younger generations than there was among the boomers. Even so, I have nothing against rich people buying it otherwise a great American brand would die. It would be like complaining that ferrari isn't pure anymore because only rich douchebags that aren't really in to cars purchase them (sorry Z!).

My mother bought her first McIntosh over 30 years ago. It's the one I have in storage and it's older than I am and still works. My father tells an amusing story about haggling with the salesman trying to get a deal. He was willing to deal on everything else they bought but he wouldn't budge on the McIntosh. Thieves later tried to steal the amp from my mother but she got home and they dropped it and ran. The amp was fine. They are built like tanks and last forever.

McCarthy

Reaction score
North by Northwest is awesome on blu-ray. A Christmas Carol and It's a Wonderful Life are also worth the upgrade to blu-ray although the audio is nowhere near what they did with North by Northwest. The Searchers is another movie to buy if you like old westerns. It looks gorgeous in hi-def.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
McIntosh was bought by the Japanese if I recall.

It's owned by a holding company that also owns denon and other audio brands, which in turn is owned by Bain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads