• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saddleback v. M&W Traveler

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
What's hilarious is that a moderator can easily, within a span of a few minutes, verify every IP address and such in this thread and see who is posting from within the same office/from the same computer connection. That's what they do on most normal forums where multiple identities aren't legal.

I've actually done this. It's even easier than you think. The admins and moderators have a little rollover tab that are invisible to other members that tell us instantly the IP address from which the poster posted. We can also easily access the entire IP posting history of any poster. We sometimes let people us multiple identities because some senior posters want to ask a question that would embarass them. Other times, we let it slide just because people come up with some hilarious stuff when they are incognito. We don't ever allow shilling, however. Actually, I kicked the agents for a fairly well known showroom outta here a couple of years ago for doing just that. The email exchange between us makes for pretty entertaining reading.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
LOL. "Deuce" has all of 7 posts to his name, every single one of which was made in this thread and made in defense of Saddleback. Things that make you go hmmm...

Yeah, I checked him out, and there was nothing. Of course, people can always use a proxy IP, but the likelihood is that there is just some dude out there who is fanatical about a certain company's goods. It happens all the time. Guys have come on here (some staying for the long term) to defend brands, from Kiton to Edward Green to Engineered Garments, to the death.

Deuce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
LOL. "Deuce" has all of 7 posts to his name, every single one of which was made in this thread and made in defense of Saddleback. Things that make you go hmmm...

Ummm, how about you go back and reread my posts. Every single on of them was questioning the quality of the bag except for the last, far from defending it. I only came to defend the bag and SB after they made good on their word and agreed to replace my bag.

SamSpade

Reaction score
I generally like the M&W traveler, I've seen it in person. Its biggest drawback in my book is the quick release buckles - i really, really, really effin hate those. If you have proper belt buckles for the straps, why cheapen it by turning it into mere decoration? I don't care if it is faster or more convenient to open the bag this way. If I wanted a bag with quick release buckles, I'd by one specifically with those.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SamSpade
I generally like the M&W traveler, I've seen it in person. Its biggest drawback in my book is the quick release buckles - i really, really, really effin hate those. If you have proper belt buckles for the straps, why cheapen it by turning it into mere decoration? I don't care if it is faster or more convenient to open the bag this way. If I wanted a bag with quick release buckles, I'd by one specifically with those.

You do realize that it is optional to use the quick release buttons (which are completely hidden but the straps), right?

SamSpade

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
You do realize that it is optional to use the quick release buttons (which are completely hidden but the straps), right?

Well, duh. My point is that it is a poor design decision, functionality/aesthetics aside. (I could just as easily say that you can't really tell that a suit is fused but there are plenty on this forum that would go crazy at the mere thought of having glue in their garment. Or having an automatic transmission on a Porsche.)

Dob

Reaction score

Can you tell us more about your impressions of the M&W (aside from the quick releases)? I know you don't like the buckle system but what were your impressions otherwise? I would love to hear from someone who has actually handled one in person. Thanks!

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, duh. My point is that it is a poor design decision, functionality/aesthetics aside. (I could just as easily say that you can't really tell that a suit is fused but there are plenty on this forum that would go crazy at the mere thought of having glue in their garment. Or having an automatic transmission on a Porsche.)

Are you commentiong on the implementation or the aesthetics of the quick release buttons? Or are you saying that one doesn't need it at all, like in SAB bags?

There is a definite demand from users for some sort of quick release in bags, which is why most people making the bags have it in one way or the other. While I respect your viewpoint, I don't think having it release cheapens the bag (as long as it is done right, which I think mw-traveler did). Look at the pics I posted here:
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...9&postcount=23

Unless you are looking at an extreme angle like above, you won't be able to see the snap-buttons.

Originally Posted by Dob
Can you tell us more about your impressions of the M&W (aside from the quick releases)? I know you don't like the buckle system but what were your impressions otherwise? I would love to hear from someone who has actually handled one in person. Thanks!

+1 I'd also love to hear your comments about the bag.

Saddleback Leather

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deuce
Ummm, how about you go back and reread my posts. Every single on of them was questioning the quality of the bag except for the last, far from defending it. I only came to defend the bag and SB after they made good on their word and agreed to replace my bag.

Where did AB go? I don't recall seeing a response to this.........

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads