1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Saddleback v. M&W Traveler

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by yahtzee, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Deuce

Deuce Well-Known Member

LOL. "Deuce" has all of 7 posts to his name, every single one of which was made in this thread and made in defense of Saddleback. Things that make you go hmmm...

Ummm, how about you go back and reread my posts. Every single on of them was questioning the quality of the bag except for the last, far from defending it. I only came to defend the bag and SB after they made good on their word and agreed to replace my bag.

2. lazersnake

lazersnake Member

bump!

I'm getting my Saddleback briefcase tonight!

The anticipation almost killed me...

3. SamSpade

SamSpade Senior member

I generally like the M&W traveler, I've seen it in person. Its biggest drawback in my book is the quick release buckles - i really, really, really effin hate those. If you have proper belt buckles for the straps, why cheapen it by turning it into mere decoration? I don't care if it is faster or more convenient to open the bag this way. If I wanted a bag with quick release buckles, I'd by one specifically with those.

4. srivats

srivats Senior member

I generally like the M&W traveler, I've seen it in person. Its biggest drawback in my book is the quick release buckles - i really, really, really effin hate those. If you have proper belt buckles for the straps, why cheapen it by turning it into mere decoration? I don't care if it is faster or more convenient to open the bag this way. If I wanted a bag with quick release buckles, I'd by one specifically with those.

You do realize that it is optional to use the quick release buttons (which are completely hidden but the straps), right?

5. Saddleback Leather

Saddleback Leather Senior member

bump!

I'm getting my Saddleback briefcase tonight!

The anticipation almost killed me...

(Psssstttttt, Damn it Dave! Stop being so obvious!)

6. SamSpade

SamSpade Senior member

You do realize that it is optional to use the quick release buttons (which are completely hidden but the straps), right?

Well, duh. My point is that it is a poor design decision, functionality/aesthetics aside. (I could just as easily say that you can't really tell that a suit is fused but there are plenty on this forum that would go crazy at the mere thought of having glue in their garment. Or having an automatic transmission on a Porsche.)

7. Dob

Dob Well-Known Member

Can you tell us more about your impressions of the M&W (aside from the quick releases)? I know you don't like the buckle system but what were your impressions otherwise? I would love to hear from someone who has actually handled one in person. Thanks!

8. srivats

srivats Senior member

(Psssstttttt, Damn it Dave! Stop being so obvious!)

LOL!

9. srivats

srivats Senior member

Well, duh. My point is that it is a poor design decision, functionality/aesthetics aside. (I could just as easily say that you can't really tell that a suit is fused but there are plenty on this forum that would go crazy at the mere thought of having glue in their garment. Or having an automatic transmission on a Porsche.)

Are you commentiong on the implementation or the aesthetics of the quick release buttons? Or are you saying that one doesn't need it at all, like in SAB bags?

There is a definite demand from users for some sort of quick release in bags, which is why most people making the bags have it in one way or the other. While I respect your viewpoint, I don't think having it release cheapens the bag (as long as it is done right, which I think mw-traveler did). Look at the pics I posted here:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...9&postcount=23

Unless you are looking at an extreme angle like above, you won't be able to see the snap-buttons.

Can you tell us more about your impressions of the M&W (aside from the quick releases)? I know you don't like the buckle system but what were your impressions otherwise? I would love to hear from someone who has actually handled one in person. Thanks!

+1 I'd also love to hear your comments about the bag.

10. Saddleback Leather

Saddleback Leather Senior member

Ummm, how about you go back and reread my posts. Every single on of them was questioning the quality of the bag except for the last, far from defending it. I only came to defend the bag and SB after they made good on their word and agreed to replace my bag.

Where did AB go? I don't recall seeing a response to this.........

11. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

the quick release is not totally nonfunctional. The buckle allows adjustment of the closed length while the button acts as a closure. If the buckle did absolutely nothing, I agree I would not like it

12. Dob

Dob Well-Known Member

Sam-

I don't know if you saw my follow-up posts but am curious to hear more about your experience with the MW bag. You indicated you have seen one in person - do you own one? Just wondering how you stumbled onto them and would really appreciate your opinion since you are apparently one of the few who has handled the bag. Thanks!

13. srivats

srivats Senior member

Ok, I just got off the phone with Susan at saddleback, I explained to her the situation about the website saying the bags were lined with suede but I got one lined with pigskin (I got my bag about a year ago, the website NOW says the bags come with pigskin). I told her about the pigskin starting to pull away and starting to wrinkle. She said they would replace the bag at no cost. I also asked about getting sued interior this time instead of pigskin, she said that would be fine but it would take 4-6 weeks because it is special order. I have to say, they really came through and are going out of their way to make this right. I will be shipping the bag back today and when I get the new bag I will make sure to write up a review.

Deuce, did you recieve your new bag? What is your impression?'

As to mw-travler, I have updated my thread with actual photos and comments. I have had the bag for a month now and absolutely love it. It the bag I have been searching for. Dob also ordered one and his comments are very positive as well.

14. Dob

Dob Well-Known Member

No response ever back from Sam. Interesting in the Saddleback context of dubious posting.

15. Dob

Dob Well-Known Member

Have finally gotten around to taking a few pics of the bag. It is breaking in nicely and it is clear that the more it is used, the better it will look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Dob

Dob Well-Known Member

Don't mean to keep dwelling on this but it would be really interesting to see if SamSpade ever turns up again. He made some negative criticism about the MW Traveler bag that again, sound awful similar to the statements made by Saddleback about having snaps on bags. "Sam" said he had seen the MW bag in person but after making his post seemed to disappear back into the woodwork, never to be heard from even after several requests for him to elaborate. Given the history of dubious Saddleback posts it really makes me wonder. If I am wrong, I will be the first to apologize but it would not surprise me if this was yet another shill post.

17. Skyler

Skyler Senior member

I'm sold... An M-W bag will be my first purchase of the New Year.

Thanks for the pics, Dod.

18. Dob

Dob Well-Known Member

My pleasure.

19. sammy

sammy Senior member

I ordered the same M-W bag and should be getting it next week. Can't wait! [​IMG]

20. JensenH

JensenH Senior member

Don't mean to keep dwelling on this but it would be really interesting to see if SamSpade ever turns up again. He made some negative criticism about the MW Traveler bag that again, sound awful similar to the statements made by Saddleback about having snaps on bags. "Sam" said he had seen the MW bag in person but after making his post seemed to disappear back into the woodwork, never to be heard from even after several requests for him to elaborate. Given the history of dubious Saddleback posts it really makes me wonder. If I am wrong, I will be the first to apologize but it would not surprise me if this was yet another shill post.

Right. To me, Saddleback just does't have any credibitlity.