• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saddleback v. M&W Traveler

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the quick release is not totally nonfunctional. The buckle allows adjustment of the closed length while the button acts as a closure. If the buckle did absolutely nothing, I agree I would not like it

Dob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SamSpade
Well, duh. My point is that it is a poor design decision, functionality/aesthetics aside. (I could just as easily say that you can't really tell that a suit is fused but there are plenty on this forum that would go crazy at the mere thought of having glue in their garment. Or having an automatic transmission on a Porsche.)

Sam-

I don't know if you saw my follow-up posts but am curious to hear more about your experience with the MW bag. You indicated you have seen one in person - do you own one? Just wondering how you stumbled onto them and would really appreciate your opinion since you are apparently one of the few who has handled the bag. Thanks!

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deuce
Ok, I just got off the phone with Susan at saddleback, I explained to her the situation about the website saying the bags were lined with suede but I got one lined with pigskin (I got my bag about a year ago, the website NOW says the bags come with pigskin). I told her about the pigskin starting to pull away and starting to wrinkle. She said they would replace the bag at no cost. I also asked about getting sued interior this time instead of pigskin, she said that would be fine but it would take 4-6 weeks because it is special order. I have to say, they really came through and are going out of their way to make this right. I will be shipping the bag back today and when I get the new bag I will make sure to write up a review.

Deuce, did you recieve your new bag? What is your impression?'

As to mw-travler, I have updated my thread with actual photos and comments. I have had the bag for a month now and absolutely love it. It the bag I have been searching for. Dob also ordered one and his comments are very positive as well.

Dob

Reaction score
No response ever back from Sam. Interesting in the Saddleback context of dubious posting.

Dob

Reaction score
Have finally gotten around to taking a few pics of the bag. It is breaking in nicely and it is clear that the more it is used, the better it will look.

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

Dob

Reaction score
Don't mean to keep dwelling on this but it would be really interesting to see if SamSpade ever turns up again. He made some negative criticism about the MW Traveler bag that again, sound awful similar to the statements made by Saddleback about having snaps on bags. "Sam" said he had seen the MW bag in person but after making his post seemed to disappear back into the woodwork, never to be heard from even after several requests for him to elaborate. Given the history of dubious Saddleback posts it really makes me wonder. If I am wrong, I will be the first to apologize but it would not surprise me if this was yet another shill post.

Skyler

Reaction score
I'm sold... An M-W bag will be my first purchase of the New Year.

Thanks for the pics, Dod.

sammy

Reaction score
I ordered the same M-W bag and should be getting it next week. Can't wait!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

JensenH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dob
Don't mean to keep dwelling on this but it would be really interesting to see if SamSpade ever turns up again. He made some negative criticism about the MW Traveler bag that again, sound awful similar to the statements made by Saddleback about having snaps on bags. "Sam" said he had seen the MW bag in person but after making his post seemed to disappear back into the woodwork, never to be heard from even after several requests for him to elaborate. Given the history of dubious Saddleback posts it really makes me wonder. If I am wrong, I will be the first to apologize but it would not surprise me if this was yet another shill post.

Right. To me, Saddleback just does't have any credibitlity.

Saddleback Leather

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saddleback Leather
So, then, just to be clear, you're saying there was no shilling done in this thread?

Originally Posted by LA Guy
Correct, as far as I can ascertain (which is pretty well).

Gentlemen, can we please finish with the shilling accusations. It's been proven false, the thread has been verified by LA Guy. There are no shills in this post. My bro shilled one time over two years ago when Saddleback had like 3 employees. It was a mistake and it hasn't happened again. Can we get past this?

Much Appreciated,
Jonathan

ridders

Reaction score
ugh.

This thread is a killer, not only the drama, but the actual content...whereas i was totally sold on the Saddleback look, this Traveler totally plays on my inner turmoil that I need to step up just a bit on the refinement angle (i'm currently trying to become a little bit, just a tiny bit, more of an adult), but i don' t want something mainstream like Coach or whatnot. I can't remember where on SF someone referred to the Saddleback as the Gentleman Traveler of bags, but that feels right. I tried to pull of GT's at the office and never felt exactly comfortable. (I know that just the thought of that would make some people sick...)

...I wish the Saddleback and the Traveler could have mate and have babies. I think the offspring would be my perfect briefcase.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ridders
ugh.

This thread is a killer, not only the drama, but the actual content...whereas i was totally sold on the Saddleback look, this Traveler totally plays on my inner turmoil that I need to step up just a bit on the refinement angle (i'm currently trying to become a little bit, just a tiny bit, more of an adult), but i don' t want something mainstream like Coach or whatnot. I can't remember where on SF someone referred to the Saddleback as the Gentleman Traveler of bags, but that feels right. I tried to pull of GT's at the office and never felt exactly comfortable. (I know that just the thought of that would make some people sick...)

...I wish the Saddleback and the Traveler could have mate and have babies. I think the offspring would be my perfect briefcase.

You may be mistaken on the quote. I pretty much say that Saddleback Leather is the Filson of leather bags. Old world styled, built to last and will take whatever you dish out.

Not only am I very satisfied customer I've also talked to Jonathan on the phone at length about the business, the manufacturing procedures and quality control. These conversations only reinforced my opinion of their product and the quality of all aspects of the manufacturing process. I'll put it very simply, I put Crane's reputation on the line when I endorse a product. It doesn't come easy.

ridders

Reaction score
Crane,
Sorry I think I was unclear, I wasn't referring to the quality of the saddleback products. I'm sold on the quality of the product. I'm just on the fence on the styling, which, while beautiful, might be a bit too rustic for me, much like Red Wing Gentleman Traveler boots. At the same time, I feel the MW Traveler might be too tame. I think i'll end up with the saddleback, most likely.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ugh. This thread is a killer, not only the drama, but the actual content...whereas i was totally sold on the Saddleback look, this Traveler totally plays on my inner turmoil that I need to step up just a bit on the refinement angle (i'm currently trying to become a little bit, just a tiny bit, more of an adult), but i don' t want something mainstream like Coach or whatnot. I can't remember where on SF someone referred to the Saddleback as the Gentleman Traveler of bags, but that feels right. I tried to pull of GT's at the office and never felt exactly comfortable. (I know that just the thought of that would make some people sick...) ...I wish the Saddleback and the Traveler could have mate and have babies. I think the offspring would be my perfect briefcase.
Crane, Sorry I think I was unclear, I wasn't referring to the quality of the saddleback products. I'm sold on the quality of the product. I'm just on the fence on the styling, which, while beautiful, might be a bit too rustic for me, much like Red Wing Gentleman Traveler boots. At the same time, I feel the MW Traveler might be too tame. I think i'll end up with the saddleback, most likely.
Ridders, that 'Gentleman's Traveler' comment was mine. I do stand by it. For a messenger/traveler type of briefcase, I'll never have another bag other than a Saddleback. I love it more each day and get compliments on it continually. It just looks different and strong and noticeable. The Coach/LV highend style of bags (which some of my colleagues carry) just get lost in the morass of similarish bags. When I need to step it up to a level beyond my Saddleback, I go back to my Zero briefcase, as I don't even think this style of soft brief can bring it, regardless of make. In other news, my father has a brandy new Saddleback duffle in Chestnut this Christmas. That thing is freaking killer. ~ H

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads