• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weight training: I don't feel the lasting "burn"

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm doing some strength training. For each individual muscle group, I do maximum weight, 8-12 reps/set, and 3 sets each time.

However, I don't feel that soreness/"burn" that I used to feel when first started. Am I not doing enough?

Adrian101

Reaction score
You need to increase the weight, or possibly change the exercises that you have been doing. I recommened doing compound lifts instead of isolation (machine) exercises. They work a much wider range of muscles in a few exercises that you can do like 3 days a week. Do lifts such as Military Press, Squats, Bench Press, Bendover Barbell Rows..best if you make an account and ask for advice on actual bodybuilding site. Check out : www.wannabebig.com Good luck.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, soreness is not usually associated with the quality of your workout, not matter how boring and dull it sounds.

Jack2000

Reaction score
+1 on compound lifts. This wiki is based on Mark Rippetoe's book Starting Strength:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

Do the program and you will be sore and have great results. I started squating at 135. In six months I was up to 300. Bench started at max 175 ended doing sets with 225. Deadlift started at 135 and ended at 350. I'm almost 40 and lifted when I was in high school, but was never this strong or big. I had to stop training due to some injuries, but it was a great experience and I will do it again.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try focusing more on gains (strength, muscle mass, ect.) that can be measured or seen and less on how much pump you're getting and the like. If you're lifting more weight you're obviously getting stronger. One can't expect your body to react the same way as when they first start lifting as they do after years of consistent training, the body adapts to the stress.

Breaks in lifting can be positive for net gains and you can use that time to catch up in other areas of your life, or progress in other important areas such as your cardiovascular endurance. Just make sure you are fully capable of motivating yourself to get back into lifting again, perhaps this time with a slightly different approach than before.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your body adapts to routines after a while, regardless of how taxing those routines initially were. You shouldn't always be striving for that burn, since soreness doesn't automatically equal progress. Regardless, you should be making some significant changes in your routine every four to six weeks to keep your body guessing. You should also try to slightly alter your routine every trip to the gym so that your body isn't able to adapt so easily.

wahwho11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Your body adapts to routines after a while

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Your body adapts to routines after a while, regardless of how taxing those routines initially were. You shouldn't always be striving for that burn, since soreness doesn't automatically equal progress. Regardless, you should be making some significant changes in your routine every four to six weeks to keep your body guessing. You should also try to slightly alter your routine every trip to the gym so that your body isn't able to adapt so easily.

+ a trillion.

Take my routine for example: I work out bis and chest twice a week. One day I'll do upper chest, another day I'll do lower chest, and the next time I go I work on my center chest. Cheap time I use different machines / exercises that constantly keep my body guessing what will come next.

If you have the ability to gain weight rapidly (not fat weight), then the above mentioned routine should get you relatively bigger in a shorter span of time than you would otherwise seen in a more 'stable' routine.

If you are like me however and have trouble gaining weight, it's going to be a much harder uphill battle.

Nomad_K

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
+ a trillion.

If you are like me however and have trouble gaining weight, it's going to be a much harder uphill battle.

Varying your routine is one key - mixing in different exercises or even changing the order up a bit can help. That said, as another person who doesn't put on weight very quickly, it can take time.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS

That's because your training sucks.

surfnbank

Reaction score
After some repetition you might not have the same soreness. That burn isn't what you are really looking for you can keep increasing the weight but not getting to that sore point isn't such a bad thing if you you are able to keep increasing. If you do want to feel sore try some different exercises and that should do it for awhile at least.

modsquad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
That's because your training sucks.

I cannot let this slide. You have no way of knowing if his training "sucks" or not. Genetics has an enormous influence on how a lifter responds to weight training. That is a scientific fact that no amount of bluster can change. Be constructive or be quiet.

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
The body will not adapt to your weight training. That is another one of those stupid ******* fallacies that have made their way through bodybuilding just like you need 12 reps for hypertrophy and 5 for strength etc etc. If you are trying to increase weight accordingly, or reps, then you are not "adapting". Obviously if you are curling 30 pounds every workout and doing nothing else, ok you're going to stall.

Ive done the same 5/3/1 routine by Jim Wendler for months now and am still putting 5lbs a month on my bench and 10 on my deadlift/squat. Before that I did the same split for 2 years and brought my deadlift from 215 to the upper 500s.

And OP: Soreness is never an indicator of workout quality.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by modsquad
I cannot let this slide. You have no way of knowing if his training "sucks" or not. Genetics has an enormous influence on how a lifter responds to weight training. That is a scientific fact that no amount of bluster can change. Be constructive or be quiet.
Originally Posted by ZackyBoy
The body will not adapt to your weight training. That is another one of those stupid ******* fallacies that have made their way through bodybuilding just like you need 12 reps for hypertrophy and 5 for strength etc etc. If you are trying to increase weight accordingly, or reps, then you are not "adapting". Obviously if you are curling 30 pounds every workout and doing nothing else, ok you're going to stall. Ive done the same 5/3/1 routine by Jim Wendler for months now and am still putting 5lbs a month on my bench and 10 on my deadlift/squat. Before that I did the same split for 2 years and brought my deadlift from 215 to the upper 500s. And OP: Soreness is never an indicator of workout quality.
Thanks ZackyBoy, you saved me the trouble.
cheers.gif
If someone doesn't make progress their training sucks. Not that hard to understand.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
If someone doesn't make progress their training sucks. Not that hard to understand.
I never said that I don't make progress, I only said that it's hard and takes me a longer time than other non-superman metabolism individuals. That being said, I have made progress over the least year, but at the same time it's hard for me to intake enough food to help speed up the process and overtake the speed of my metabolism.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads