• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RE: Cyclist steeze, it depends were you are.

BB1, people love that **** here man, everyone wears it. It's pretty warm though so people usually need to wear stuff like that so they don't overheat and eat it on the road.

My tailor I use for my SW&D shirting has a RTW line, and one of the things he is working on is decent cyclist gear. He sourced some fine 100% merino wool, just like cotton jersey, and he is using that. He rides himself, so it started out as wanting only for himself, but got a great reception. Understanding were the pockets etc need to go and hidden details like iPod slots etc. Should be good.

I want to get a whole bunch as I ride. I also want to spray my bike too.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude resize those photo's

d-nice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggie_Robs
I have a Barbour Classic Beaufort jacket that I love. It's not nearly as slim fitting as the Belstaff Roadmaster pictured, but the material is practically the same. Barbour makes a similar jacket to the Belstaff (the International) at a slightly lower price point. My understanding is that Belstaff is a bit more of a fashion brand these days, and that Barbour has a bit more utilitarian cred. If pushed, I'd probably say that the Belstaff is the better looking jacket, but I have no experience with the brand, so I can't say anything about their quality. I can say that Barbour waxed cotton jackets are absolutely top-notch (and still made in the UK).

One drawback to waxed cotton is that it tends to attract lint.

Great feedback! Thanks! I havent really come across any waxed jackets and this was helpful. I can see how they would attract lint. How are they in the rain or snow?

d-nice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
Still on the hunt for a winter jacket. I'm considering this Richard Chai one:

2.jpg

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...9156&ev19=2:60

Any opinions?

I almost got this at Saks a couple weeks ago when they had the F&F sale. They didnt have my size and the Medium was crazy small. I like the idea of the jacket but it didnt work well for a winter jacket.... too short etc. Its a cool jacket to have but it wouldnt be very versatile IMO.

v3l

Reaction score
rubub7.jpg

Just got a 40% off coupon to Banana Republic for tomorrow (not sure what's up with that, but I'm not complaining). Thinking of this coat. It would be around $220 after the discount. Thoughts?

Biggie_Robs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by d-nice
Great feedback! Thanks! I havent really come across any waxed jackets and this was helpful. I can see how they would attract lint. How are they in the rain or snow?

Utterly waterproof. If there's an Orvis anywhere near you, they carry Barbour.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really not bad for BR, v3l. I think it would look a little better if it had a hood, but I don't think I'd ever wear a hooded winter coat. I think it looks good on the BR home page.

Edit: Bah, I just noticed it is 23% nylon. I wouldn't buy it. Can you use it on Piperlime?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
The nylon makes it stronger.

That coat is confused as to what it wants to be and the styling is horrible, shirt really needs to be untucked. Duffle coats should always have hoods and not shirt collars like that.

I need to come out with my own line shiet.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, but the nicer wool coats I've seen have been 100% melton wool. Or, at least nowhere near that much nylon... maybe 10%.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
True, but the nicer wool coats I've seen have been 100% melton wool. Or, at least nowhere near that much nylon... maybe 10%.

I was quoting a wise member
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads