• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How should a suit fit on the shoulders?

vncrz

Reaction score
I currently have two suits and am about to purchase a third. The two I have have slightly differing shoulder sizes, as shown by the pics below: the ones on the grey suit seem to extend a bit over my natural shoulder, while the ones on the charcoal suit fall right on them. Which one fits "appropriately"? What sort of shoulder sizing should I go for on my next suit (as compared to the pics here)?

Any suggestions are much appreciated
bigstar[1].gif

Photo25.jpg

Photo26.jpg

Photo27.jpg

Photo28.jpg

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
The second shoulder fit is better, but does look a bit tight. The first is too big in the shoulders. They shoulders should just fall on yours; can you try a size in between?

And by the way, if you want to pull off the suit-jacket-sans-pants look, boxer-briefs work a lot better. While your boxers follow the shape of the suit's skirt quite elegantly, its rather girlish and gives the appearance of wearing an odd skirt a la a Thom Browne skirt suit. The skirt of the jacket will hide briefs, suggesting the ghastly possibility that you are not even wearing underwear. Boxer-briefs, on the other hand, are more form-fitting and will not interfere with the jacket's skirt, while still showing you're not commando. The color combination could be improved. Perhaps a blue t-shirt instead of the white, with oxford grey boxer-briefs for that proper sans-pants sprezzatura you're going for.

Lovellum

Reaction score
I believe the general rule to be that the seam should fall a few centimeters after the seam of the shirt, but I may be making this up.

vncrz

Reaction score
Due to the outburst of condemnation, the photos have been cropped for your viewing pleasure. Now pretend I'm wearing candy cane seersucker pants.

On a serious note, I've starting to think that the shoulder size for the grey suit is better, the problem seems to be the padding which is rather thicker than in the charcoal one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads