• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grave of the Fireflies

ozymandias

Reaction score
Makes titanic look like a god-damn joke. If you haven't seen it go do it now, and enjoy a heightened sense of appreciation for at least a day or two.

ozymandias

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
Bullshit movie and totally unworthy of the favorable reviews. AVOID.

Reasons? All I can say is that no other movie ever made such an emotional impression.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ozymandias
Reasons? All I can say is that no other movie ever made such an emotional impression.

Heh... sounds like you've never seen Evil Dead II.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Maybe I'm a small time here, but I've never been so emotionally disturbed as after having watched Requiem for a Dream... I was totally out of it for a few days.
confused.gif

ozymandias

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Maybe I'm a small time here, but I've never been so emotionally disturbed as after having watched Requiem for a Dream... I was totally out of it for a few days.
confused.gif

This is almost ironic, I finished watching it literally 2 minutes ago. Honestly I felt nothing. Even a tad amused at the fancy cinematography. Maybe I'm crazy, watch the movie I made the thread about and tell me what you feel.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SPOILERS

Requiem for a Dream didn't make me feel anything, I felt like they all deserved it. Well, except for the mom...that part hurt.

If you want emotional, watch Taegukgi. Great Korean war film.

ozymandias

Reaction score
Originally Posted by g transistor
SPOILERS Requiem for a Dream didn't make me feel anything, I felt like they all deserved it. Well, except for the mom...that part hurt. If you want emotional, watch Taegukgi. Great Korean war film.
Maybe I was just watching it in the wrong context. After you watch a movie about children dieing of malnutrition it's hard to cry when four hardcore addicts get what? One becomes a whore, one goes to jail for 4-5 years, and one loses a hand. It's not like the world ends for them.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't see it as "they all got what they deserved", to me the feeling was pretty depressing. My impression was that these were all people who were weak, and overpowered. They were taken advantage of by others and abused themselves. It made me feel like the world is a nasty terrible place just waiting to screw you, all rather demotivating. Sort of just a glimpe into how bad things can get, how terrible life can be.

tjchung

Reaction score
Its all part of that pathetic Japanese victim complex. Ask any Japanese how the Pacific war started, and 99% won't know. Answer; They bombed Pearl Harbor without declaring war! Ask how it ended, and they'll all say they are the only people to have gotten nuked.

Seriously, if the Japanese weren't so hypocritical about their own history, whitewashing their own part in what were truely monumental acts of barbarity that ranks right up there with the holocaust, I'd be more sympthetic about these films. But nowhere, anywhere is there anything from the Japanese media about how others suffered at the hands of the Japanese. Its all about how they themselves suffered.

You might say that such crimes were perpetrated by powerful cruel men long gone, who used their stormtroopers to keep the general population in line. And the current generation shouldn't be held accountable for whats done in the past. Really? Tell that to the German government. They are still apologizing and compensating for the crimes commited by powerful cruel men long dead. At least they own up to it, admit it, try to make amends and are commited to making sure that it never happens again, including educating their children truthfully about it no matter how embarressing it may be. Even now, Nazi memorabilia and images are illegal in Germany and IIRC Austria. The Imperial Rising Sun flag? You can still see it almost everywhere in Japan. Replica Japanese Kempeitai (secret police) uniforms? You can buy them in most major hobby shops. Thats why the Germans have respect in the international diplomacy circles, for their historical integrity, not because they have the lion's share of the electronics and automotive industry and the second largest consumer market in the world.

In Japan, there are still middle school textbooks that describe the Japanese invasion of China as an "advance". Other pieces of embarressing history are outright ignored or glossed over. The Japanese government is still outright denying the Naking Massacre even happened despite the eye-witness accounts of Chinese, German, French, English, American and even Japanese witnesses. Thats why these Japanese animators, raised on this whitewashed crap have no qualms about portraying how their own people suffered at the hands of the western powers, and yet have no intention of showing the tragic story from the other side.

Japanese children dying of malnutrition? Tragic. Lets make a movie about it so people know how much we suffered! Chinese children dying by bayonet practise by Japanese troops? Never happened! English, French, Dutch and Australian children dying of malnutrition in civilian internment camps because they weren't provided with the food and medical supplies the International Red Cross delivered in copious amounts, but were kept for the Japanese's own use? Shhh, lets not bring that up, shall we.
musicboohoo[1].gif

ozymandias

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tjchung
Its all part of that pathetic Japanese victim complex. Ask any Japanese how the Pacific war started, and 99% won't know. Answer; They bombed Pearl Harbor without declaring war! Ask how it ended, and they'll all say they are the only people to have gotten nuked.

Seriously, if the Japanese weren't so hypocritical about their own history, whitewashing their own part in what were truely monumental acts of barbarity that ranks right up there with the holocaust, I'd be more sympthetic about these films. But nowhere, anywhere is there anything from the Japanese media about how others suffered at the hands of the Japanese. Its all about how they themselves suffered.

You might say that such crimes were perpetrated by powerful cruel men long gone, who used their stormtroopers to keep the general population in line. And the current generation shouldn't be held accountable for whats done in the past. Really? Tell that to the German government. They are still apologizing and compensating for the crimes commited by powerful cruel men long dead. At least they own up to it, admit it, try to make amends and are commited to making sure that it never happens again, including educating their children truthfully about it no matter how embarressing it may be. Even now, Nazi memorabilia and images are illegal in Germany and IIRC Austria. The Imperial Rising Sun flag? You can still see it almost everywhere in Japan. Replica Japanese Kempeitai (secret police) uniforms? You can buy them in most major hobby shops. Thats why the Germans have respect in the international diplomacy circles, for their historical integrity, not because they have the lion's share of the electronics and automotive industry and the second largest consumer market in the world.

In Japan, there are still middle school textbooks that describe the Japanese invasion of China as an "advance". Other pieces of embarressing history are outright ignored or glossed over. The Japanese government is still outright denying the Naking Massacre even happened despite the eye-witness accounts of Chinese, German, French, English, American and even Japanese witnesses. Thats why these Japanese animators, raised on this whitewashed crap have no qualms about portraying how their own people suffered at the hands of the western powers, and yet have no intention of showing the tragic story from the other side.

Japanese children dying of malnutrition? Tragic. Lets make a movie about it so people know how much we suffered! Chinese children dying by bayonet practise by Japanese troops? Never happened! English, French, Dutch and Australian children dying of malnutrition in civilian internment camps because they weren't provided with the food and medical supplies the International Red Cross delivered in copious amounts, but were kept for the Japanese's own use? Shhh, lets not bring that up, shall we.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Your rant is irrelevant. Ignorance of many does not excuse the suffering of the few. Yes Japanese culture might be biased, and I'm not saying they were not part of the problem, but the stories in movies/books happened nontheless and it makes little difference whether US or Japan is responsible.

incastoutcast

Reaction score
Maybe I was just watching it in the wrong context. After you watch a movie about children dieing of malnutrition it's hard to cry when four hardcore addicts get what? One becomes a whore, one goes to jail for 4-5 years, and one loses a hand. It's not like the world ends for them.

Life can sometimes be worth than death. To quote Philip K Dick, "They played, like children, and were punished too harshly for it. Let them play again."

Honestly, I feel somewhat the same way about Grave of the Fireflies - the older kid was a brat, and I lost all sympathy for him when he refused to do anything. Sure, his younger brother got the short end of the stick for following him, but that's only one I feel for whose life is gone, rather than three whose lives are looking like a **** salad with little to no hope of redemption.

ozymandias

Reaction score
Originally Posted by incastoutcast
Life can sometimes be worth than death. To quote Philip K Dick, "They played, like children, and were punished too harshly for it. Let them play again."

Honestly, I feel somewhat the same way about Grave of the Fireflies - the older kid was a brat, and I lost all sympathy for him when he refused to do anything. Sure, his younger brother got the short end of the stick for following him, but that's only one I feel for whose life is gone, rather than three whose lives are looking like a **** salad with little to no hope of redemption.

First of it was his sister, and I totally agree. What makes this movie so sad is that this could of been prevented, he could of joined army/got a job and his aunt would take care of his sis. At the same time you realize that he was 14 and his life basically burned down, leaving him only with his sister to take care of and love. It's hard to place blame on a kid in that situation.

incastoutcast

Reaction score
^^ Hurm, I was, albeit rather loosely, paraphrasing the epilogue to scanner darkly. I thought he wrote that (the epilogue). Perhaps I am mistaken.

I agree with you that the tragedy of Grave of the Fireflies could have been prevented, and I will admit that a fair bit of my own reaction was as much to the artistic side (a slow paced sledgehammer, seemed to me) as anything else. However, the big difference is that he could have prevented it, and comparatively rather easily at that. I'm just saying I found it hard to sympathize with him, because he acted very selfishly, and I got the definite sense he would have been just as selfish if he had a job, and I've worked with people like that.

That said, again, it's something of a personal reaction. I have a number of good friends who can't believe I don't like the movie, and who I exaust with my arguments to this effect.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David244