• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sunglasses in the winter?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laxinthe303
I already bought some.

5911899_a3fde041c0.jpg

Fantastic

butterflystyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Fantastic

Why dont you post a picture of you in your old man Maui Jims?

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefko
I want to get my friend a nice gift but don't wanna spend my money I do have an unopened pair of Oakley sunglasses but I'm not sure if it is proper to give it when the summer just passed

Does your friend ski, or enjoy other winter sports?

Oakleys are ideal substitutes for ski goggles....for me, in any case.

qyadh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
If somebody gives me ******* Oakleys I will defriend them on the spot.

Flamer, I don't get your hatred for Oakleys either. It's one brand that offers such a broad array of styles that they can appeal to tastes across the spectrum. Keep in mind, Oakley makes several models for specific purposes, like biking and skiing. These glasses are not fashion glasses, but are highly regarded by athletes. Perhaps you're not an athletic guy who only considers sunglasses useful for dining al fresco.

I don't think the brand is the issue here. Sunglasses are a nice gift anytime. If the OP's boyfriend likes to ski, or heads to a sunny climate, or drives in the winter and the glasses will suit these (or other situations), then it's a nice gift. Good on ya for the kind gesture, OP!

inq89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by qyadh
Flamer, I don't get your hatred for Oakleys either. It's one brand that offers such a broad array of styles that they can appeal to tastes across the spectrum. Keep in mind, Oakley makes several models for specific purposes, like biking and skiing. These glasses are not fashion glasses, but are highly regarded by athletes. Perhaps you're not an athletic guy who only considers sunglasses useful for dining al fresco.
But that's the thing with Oakleys, since they are meant for sports, you can't wear them with a tie and suit (or at least you shouldn't, unless you're Dwight from The Office). And this forum is all about suits and ties. Hence, noobs love Oakleys lol

Mountains

Reaction score
Originally Posted by inq89
But that's the thing with Oakleys, since they are meant for sports, you can't wear them with a tie and suit (or at least you shouldn't, unless you're Dwight from The Office). And this forum is all about suits and ties.

Hence, noobs love Oakleys lol

You can't wear a sporty brand in any context other than sports?

I think I may have missed a natural law somewhere.
confused.gif

SuseFr

Reaction score
Are you kidding?!?! I wear my suns EVERYDAY without fail.
mwink[1].gif
Without them I would of long lost my license..LOL Those Sun rays kill my eyes; I litterly don't see where I'm drivin..

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laxinthe303
Why dont you post a picture of you in your old man Maui Jims?

What the ****? I wouldn't wear some of the more sporty Oakley's but they do make some pretty inoffensive models, but also so do Maui Jim. My current pair of sunglasses are Maui Jim in-fact, and my previous pair (until they fell apart) were Oakleys.

I think a lot of people here have a knee-jerk reaction with Oakleys because the main impression we get of them is idiot posers wearing brightly-colours plastic-framed things with the huge flashy 'O' on the side. This still doesn't explain your comment about Maui Jim though...

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum

I think a lot of people here have a knee-jerk reaction with Oakleys because the main impression we get of them is idiot posers wearing popped collars and brightly-colours plastic-framed things with the huge flashy 'O' on the side. This still doesn't explain your comment about Maui Jim though...

FTFY

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
UV and glare is still very much present in winter.

Mine also create more contrast on those weird gloomy yet bright days.

I say go for it.

b

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clearer skies and snow reflection make shades in winter even more vital than in the summer.

Oakley makes quality sunglasses and their lenses are as good as anything out there. And there's nothing wrong with Maui Jim either. Sometimes I don't get all the hate in this forum
confused.gif

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I never wear sunglasses. Dont like them.

Even less because my wife is always ******* forgetting hers and we have to go back home to get them because oh no, the sun, its just unbearable...

How did we get this way? Seriously...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics