• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gitman Brothers Vintage

mdla

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coldsnap
Thinking if Gitman Brothers Vintage will fit me well, J Crew. Small has the right chest measurments but the arm holes and length are too long, am I going to have the same problem with these?
I had to go for a medium in the Gitman oxfords even though I'm a small in J. Crew secret wash button downs.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdla
I had to go for a medium in the Gitman oxfords even though I'm a small in J. Crew secret wash button downs.

Broad shoulders or do you typically "size down" in J Crew (i.e. small enough that the collar can't button)? I wear smalls in both, which is why I was curious.

mdla

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
Broad shoulders or do you typically "size down" in J Crew (i.e. small enough that the collar can't button)? I wear smalls in both, which is why I was curious.
Ah, good point. I suppose I am sizing down in J. Crew shirts as the collars are a bit tight. I only wear them casually, so I ever button the top buttom and had forgotten about that. The J. Crew smalls seem to run about 20-20.5" pit to pit. I found the chest and body to be slightly narrower in the Gitman Vintage small, but it was noticeable enough that I went for a medium.

JRyder

Reaction score
The J.Crew pieces are certainly wider throughout; in the body, sleeves, collar, etc...but I still think its closer to a true medium. The Gitman M is too short in the sleeves. That said the Gitman has a nicer draw.
Cheers,

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdla
Ah, good point. I suppose I am sizing down in J. Crew shirts as the collars are a bit tight. I only wear them casually, so I ever button the top buttom and had forgotten about that. The J. Crew smalls seem to run about 20-20.5" pit to pit. I found the chest and body to be slightly narrower in the Gitman Vintage small, but it was noticeable enough that I went for a medium.
Sounds like the J.Crew small is right inbetween a Gitman small and medium then? J.Crew smalls are pretty much perfect on me and I've been really hesitant to pick up a Gitman shirt cause the sizing either looks too small or too large. I'm know the quality is going to be a lot better but I really wish there wasn't such a huge jump in the p2p between sizes.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit pics of my recently received (finally) Blue/Red/White Plaid Gitman shirt from Context. Well worth the wait as I really like this color pattern and fit.

100_1594.jpg

100_1595.jpg

100_1596.jpg

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by g transistor
Wow, fit on that is absolutely perfect! Great pick up.
Thanks. I waiting for almost two months from the pre-order for this thing. I had the Brushed Herringbone ordered too, but ended up exchanging it for an EG Black Chambray Workshirt then for the EG Purple Plaid Workshirt (which I'm still debating), but this plaid Gitman is nice. The fit is a bit nicer for me compared to the white oxford particularly in the pit and hem, but that might be due to the weight on this one compared to the oxford. This thing is also crazy wrinkled still fresh out of the box.

nonissue

Reaction score
yah dude that fit is dope. what size is the gitman, and if you don't mind me asking your height/weight. Is the concencus that gitman fits slim? Every time i see an oxford on the b&s, it looks huge.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nonissue
yah dude that fit is dope. what size is the gitman, and if you don't mind me asking your height/weight. Is the concencus that gitman fits slim? Every time i see an oxford on the b&s, it looks huge.

Check my profile for my stats, the shirt is a size small, which is consistent with what I typically wear across the board. Ever since I snagged the oxford I've always thought the consensus was slim fit for my build right OTR, no tailor needed. Can't argue with that.

jordansmith123

Reaction score
Oh and they have great customer service, I lost two buttons on my oxford. I emailed them, and they sent me like 30 buttons free of charge.

videogeek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nonissue

I thought that was the consensus too, and maybe it is for some of their shirts. The "slim" oxford I bought isn't very slim though. It's not huge, but it does need tailoring.

daft

Reaction score
excellent fit tonio28. for me personally, the only problem gitman vintage has is the length of the shirt. an inch or two shorter and it would be perfect for me.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After tailoring, taking in the sides and darting:
dtE3ol.jpg
The cut for me isnt all that great, I think my tailor just followed the original cut and took in a consistent 1 inch from each side.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads