• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loving my new Barbour Jacket

tjchung

Reaction score
Thanks to a recent tax refund, my wife convince me to buy a Barbour Lumely jacket, shown here:

http://www.barbour.com/index.cfm?fus...&FeatureId=547

I've never even heard of Barbour before, and this is the first wax cotton jacket I've ever owned. At first, I thought it was just a Brit style corduroy jacket. But on closer inspection it was a really well made coat with quilted lining, knit cuffs and collar that can be unsnapped and turned in, making the silhouette much sleeker and traditional. In other words, it has that timeless quality that these Brit clothes seem to have, but also a more contemporary styling to it. I must be getting old, because lately this type of coat has become more and more appealing to me.

The fit was a little tight. I tried on their Barbour Sapper jacket, and the Large size fit me fine. But this jacket is cut a little more slimmer, so I had to move up to an X-large. The color in their online catalog doesn't do it justice, its a much more attractive woody brown. Another thing I like is that the vent has snaps on both sides, meaning I can unsnap them and let my lately overgrown booty flap in the breeze. As you can guess, I'm not a big fan of single vents.

I wore it all day today, and aside from the slightly waxy smell which I'm told will go away with time, I really enjoyed the fit and comfort, not to mention a few admiring looks and a question about the maker. The questioner, wearing a Barbour jacket himself was not aware that this was a new addition to the Barbour line.

The weather was in the mid 50's, with some light drizzle. In other words, perfect for a wax cotton jacket! I got a big kick out of seeing the water just rolling off the fabric, and with the collar pulled up there is a little strap underneath the lapels that comes across the throat and snaps into the opposite side, to keep everything dry and warm. There is a small zippered pocket inside the left breast, big enough for a cell phone or a pack of smokes. There is also a pocket outside on the lefthand chest but this probably won't get much use. The 2 side pockets are large enough to warm the hands, altho with all jackets of this type the straight angle of the pockets makes them uncomfortable as hand warmers for any length of time. But then again, this is not a deep winter coat so this is not really a big deal.

All in all, its a great jacket, Its a bit pricey, I admit. Much more than the standard Barbour Utility Jackets you see nowadays. But I think its style more than makes up for the extra price, since it doesn't look like you're going quail shooting with the local gentry, or walking down thru the squire's estate to the pub. I'm now completely sold on Barbours, and I'm thinking about getting a Barbour Sapper jacket as well to replace my green canvas M-65 Field Jacket clone from Banana Republic.

JensenH

Reaction score
Try on a Beaufort. It comes with a detachable hood for the rainy days when you don't feel like carrying an umbrella.

pinchi22

Reaction score
Enjoy the coat. It really is ideal on a drizzly, 50s day. I enjoy my Beaufort so much I picked up an International Trials recently.

Jmca1

Reaction score
I picked up a Beaufort on Friday and love it. Might have to get one of the quilted coats next...

tjchung

Reaction score
I've been drooling over the Barbour print catalog that I picked up as I bought my Lumely. So far, the quilted jackets aren't doing anything for me. Maybe because as a Korean of the older generation, I have a nightmarish image of millions of Chinese soldiers in quilted uniforms rushing south in human waves.

The Beaufort is certainly an interesting item. I wonder if it can substitute for a winter coat with enough layering underneath. Or maybe I shouldn't throw my down filled parka away just yet.

Anyway, my local Macy's has some Barbour Sapper jackets, and what with the Columbus day sales and another 15% off for signing up for a Macy's card, I'm looking forward to a good deal tomorrow.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tjchung
Thanks to a recent tax refund, my wife convince me to buy a Barbour Lumely jacket, shown here

Your wife is a class act. Enjoy the jacket.

pinchi22

Reaction score
The Beaufort is certainly an interesting item. I wonder if it can substitute for a winter coat with enough layering underneath. Or maybe I shouldn't throw my down filled parka away just yet.

The Beaufort alone isn´t very warm in near-freezing temperatures, but you can buy a separate vest.

JensenH

Reaction score
I've been drooling over the Barbour print catalog that I picked up as I bought my Lumely. So far, the quilted jackets aren't doing anything for me. Maybe because as a Korean of the older generation, I have a nightmarish image of millions of Chinese soldiers in quilted uniforms rushing south in human waves.

Anyway, my local Macy's has some Barbour Sapper jackets, and what with the Columbus day sales and another 15% off for signing up for a Macy's card, I'm looking forward to a good deal tomorrow.

Many Barbour coats have zip-out linings that can be purchased separately. I wore my Beaufort with the warm-pile lining and a heavy cashmere sweater underneath it while visiting a Canadian glacier during autumn a couple of years back. With the strong wind, temperature must had been below freezing with wind-chill. But the coat and the hood kept me quite warm (that's why having a hood for your coat is practical.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics