1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Loving my new Barbour Jacket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tjchung, Oct 11, 2009.

1. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

The Northumbria is imo one of the best jacket that Barbour makes. It is longer than the beaufort so it suits the taller gentlemen better.

2. JibranK

JibranK Senior member

The Northumbria is imo one of the best jacket that Barbour makes. It is longer than the beaufort so it suits the taller gentlemen better.
    The Border is the same jacket in medium weight wax.

3. The Captain

The Captain Member

To modern_leifeng,

1. Suggest surest way to
    eliminate smell would be to

a. Take the jacket outside and bury it about 2 feet underground.

b. Go out and buy a garment that doesn't smell offensive, inevitably look shabby or require periodic maintenance payments (You know, the garment you should have bought the first time around).

2. Perhaps waxed cotton was once a state of the art performance fabric, despite its smell and appearance.

Perhaps.

A LONG time ago.

The Captain

4. JibranK

JibranK Senior member

Can anyone tell me what is the most heavyweight, winter-friendly Barbour coat? I don't mean their wool or tweed coats, but the waterproof or wax cotten items.
    The Northumbria (with a liner and hood) as waxed jackets go. Of their non-wax items, I'd suggest the Linhope 3-in-1.

To modern_leifeng,

1. Suggest surest way to
    eliminate smell would be to

a. Take the jacket outside and bury it about 2 feet underground.

b. Go out and buy a garment that doesn't smell offensive, inevitably look shabby or require periodic maintenance payments (You know, the garment you should have bought the first time around).

2. Perhaps waxed cotton was once once a state of the art performance fabric, despite its smell and appearance.

Perhaps.

A LONG time ago.

The Captain

My waxed cotton jackets perform better than my modern-styled winter garments as they are considerably more breathable. The smell goes away within a few days of wear - I'm not sure what maintenance payments you're referring to, as rewaxing is inexpensive and need only be done every few years. I'm not sure what exactly you have against waxed cotton, but it is of little point to post your reservations in a thread for the discussion of the fabric by people who like it.

5. JibranK

JibranK Senior member

When I was in Edinburgh in April, I picked up the cowen commando jacket, was originally planning on getting a more traditional style, but I loved the cowen ever since I saw it on sierra a few years back, plus there was a nice discount on it. Unfortunately, weather in Beijing hasn't been cooperative and I've yet to really have a chance to wear it. The other problem is that while I love the jacket, the wife can't stand the waxed smell that comes off it, any ideas of how to lessen the smell?
    The smell will be gone once you wear it outside a few times.

6. tjchung

tjchung Active Member

Agree with the others above, a week's worth of wear has gotten the smell of wax out completely.

One thing that's started me thinking, does anyone know what the fire retardant properties of wax cotten clothing is? I ask because I will be starting flying lessons soon, and I really don't want to be wearing anything that will become a huge wax candle with me as a blazing wick trapped inside if I ever crash and burn!

7. openingceremony

openingceremony New Member

personally, i think barbours are too classic slash boring plus i have difficulty finding the right fit.

8. theyare

theyare Senior member

Where in NYC do they sell Barbour?

Sounds like Macy's- do they carry a variety? Anywhere else?

9. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

10. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

Where in NYC do they sell Barbour?

Sounds like Macy's- do they carry a variety? Anywhere else?

I´ve seen them at Barneys - at least they stocked them a couple of years ago.

One thing I like about it is that is picks up a patina as it ages. A synthetic waterproof fiber will always look, well, synthetic.

11. Kentishman

Kentishman Senior member

Agree with the others above, a week's worth of wear has gotten the smell of wax out completely.

One thing that's started me thinking, does anyone know what the fire retardant properties of wax cotten clothing is? I ask because I will be starting flying lessons soon, and I really don't want to be wearing anything that will become a huge wax candle with me as a blazing wick trapped inside if I ever crash and burn!

If you crash a plane, your jacket being flammable will be the least of your worries... [​IMG]

12. haganah

haganah Senior member

Where in NYC do they sell Barbour? Sounds like Macy's- do they carry a variety? Anywhere else?
    Try the Barbour store [​IMG]

13. 11211

11211 Well-Known Member

best place for Barbour in NYC:

Barbour by Peter Elliot
    1047 Madison Ave

14. Eustace

Eustace Senior member

Orvis stores are a good place to find Barbour as well.

15. ma1

ma1 Senior member

they are really flammable, depending on the process they may have used linseed oil as well as wax, its really not a good idea to wear it where theres going to be flames imo..

16. tjchung

tjchung Active Member

If you crash a plane, your jacket being flammable will be the least of your worries... [​IMG]

Thanks, you answered my question. Looks like I'll have to dig out my old 1986 Top Gun leather flying jacket!

In NYC, you can find Barbour at the Orvis store on 44th St and 5th Ave. There's a really nice Barbour store on 80th and Madison that appear to carry the entire catalog. You can find a few styles of Barbour jackets at the big Macy's flagship store at Herald Square, way in the back of the 2nd floor between Tommy Bahama and Hugo Boss. This is where I got my Sapper jacket. And I think the JC Crew store at Rockefeller Ctr has a few of the Beauforts.

17. hanseivan

hanseivan New Member

@Tjchung

I want to buy the Barbour Lumley jacket off the internet and would like to ask you about sizing.
    My chest is 41 so I'm just between their Medium and Large, my waist is 36, my hips are 41 and I'm 6'' tall and weighs 175 pound.
    You said you went with the X-Large, what are you're measurements and which size would you recommend me?

18. jackstraw

jackstraw New Member

if you ever find that you're NOT loving your Barbour Lumely, send me a private msg, I'd be interested. I am in Boston, Mass., cannot find this blazer anywhere after seeing it just once and falling in love!! Thx.

19. AboveBeyond

AboveBeyond Active Member