• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking about going on a 'fast'..

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Havent done a fast before, not for religious reasons, but basically to see if i can achieve a weight loss accomplishment by thanksgiving.

At max I will only eat upwards of 1000 calories a day, what sort of things i should look out for and what advice can anyone give me for this? I started today.

1) i will be taking multivitamins/fish oil, etc daily
2) will watch my calcium intake, make sure i get enough. will drink a cup of milk daily and some cheese (kraft singles. each one has 20% daily reccomendation of calcium)
3) will be drinking two cups of coffee daily one in the morning and once before i go home. this helps in appetite suppression for me out of anything else i tried. also gives me the boost to have the energy to work out after work.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hhaha, your anorexic.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^
I've done that type of fasting before and must say it really isn't that bad. I've done 36 hours before with no problem. The first thing you eat after a fast tastes soooooooooooooo good, you just have to make sure your body can handle it (your first meal, not fasting).

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas
^^^
I've done that type of fasting before and must say it really isn't that bad. I've done 36 hours before with no problem. The first thing you eat after a fast tastes soooooooooooooo good, you just have to make sure your body can handle it (your first meal, not fasting).

yeah yeah.

I think eating healthy and using a moderate version of IF (like 8/16) is not a bad way to live.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To clarify, when I did them I would do weekly 24 hour fasts. I eat healthy and exercise pretty regularly. I didn't do them to lose weight, more a mind over matter type thing. They just made me feel so good the next day.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
ok thanks guys. will look into the suggestions.

Originally Posted by Davidko19
hhaha, your anorexic.
i wish i can be. to be honest, i may be one of the very few, i like the look of some anorexic models. (not the ones where they are like skull and bone though). you know, Stephanie Naumoska ? the australian beauty pageant contestant who had alot of criticism for looking anorexic, i think she is completely hot. that is me though.
being able to have enough control (or obsession for better words) to eat only a few things a day is what i envy so much about these girls. of course there comes to a point where they go from looking anorexic good to completely sick looking.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
ok thanks guys. will look into the suggestions.

i wish i can be. to be honest, i may be one of the very few, i like the look of some anorexic models. (not the ones where they are like skull and bone though). you know, Stephanie Naumoska ? the australian beauty pageant contestant who had alot of criticism for looking anorexic, i think she is completely hot. that is me though.
being able to have enough control (or obsession for better words) to eat only a few things a day is what i envy so much about these girls. of course there comes to a point where they go from looking anorexic good to completely sick looking.

Sho, not that you aren't hot in your own special way, but you're never going to look like Stephanie Naumoska. Just sayin'.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find stimulants (adderall, ritalin, etc) work wonders for suppressing appetite and at the same time keeping a clear head.

Also, have you ever kept a detailed food diary for any length of time to determine your maintenance intake? You wouldnt want to gain the weight back after a harsh diet.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
I find stimulants (adderall, ritalin, etc) work wonders for suppressing appetite and at the same time keeping a clear head.

Also, have you ever kept a detailed food diary for any length of time to determine your maintenance intake? You wouldnt want to gain the weight back after a harsh diet.

Caffeine is actually awesome for this. Coffee totally suppresses your hunger while raising the metabolism.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock

are these safe?

Originally Posted by Flambeur
Caffeine is actually awesome for this. Coffee totally suppresses your hunger while raising the metabolism.

yes. that is what i will be using mostly in the form of black coffee.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads