1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking about going on a 'fast'..

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by sho'nuff, Oct 8, 2009.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

listen carefully - seriously, do this without making changes, and it will serve you well.

atkins and Eas protien shakes - they are about 200 cals and zero carbs

beef and chicken broth

eggs

green ice tea

3-5 shakes a day, one egg, all the tea and broth you want. you will loose so much weight, so fast, you won't know what hit you

good luck

oh, and you won't feel hungry at all, for a couple of weeks

2. why

why Senior member

Please don't make a diet out of shakes. Most diets are habitual (hence why thin people tend to stay thin and fat people tend to stay fat). Making a habit out of drinking protein shakes is not only unsustainable but it's gross. Food is something more than a calculated level of sustenance.

3. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

If I remember correctly you had lost a bunch of weight a year or so ago. I know that because you sold me some trousers that you never wore do to your weight loss.

First, why don't you just do what you did earlier to lose weight? Second, do you need the pants back? They are too big for me now.

4. Crakaveli

Crakaveli Senior member

how about fasting one day a week? green tea is much better than coffee. it has the same amount of caffeine and doesn't overstimulate the adrenal gland which leads to fatigue.

5. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

If I remember correctly you had lost a bunch of weight a year or so ago. I know that because you sold me some trousers that you never wore do to your weight loss.

First, why don't you just do what you did earlier to lose weight? Second, do you need the pants back? They are too big for me now.

i sold you pants last year? hehehe

6. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

keep me accountable. i go home and eat dinner so i will let you know how it went down for my first day of 'fast' (eating less).

7. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

Make sure you get enough broccolis!

8. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

i sold you pants last year? hehehe

Yes, charcoal flat front Hickey Freeman. You were going through your "difficult period" and selling many items.

Maybe more than a year? Anyway, good luck with the weight loss.

9. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Yeah that difficult period was when I lost my job and was unemployed for 6 months. Almost two years ago.

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

I think that the helpful thing to do before a fast is to prepare yourself by eating less in the days before you go on it.

yeah that seems to be the case with me now.

last night i had a 5 chicken thighs with a scoop of the korean brown/purple rice that is heavy in the beans, barley and peas. the thighs were kind of small but she glazed them in some sauce in the frying pan. some kimchi and jalapenos and seaweed laver. i calculated that amount of dinner to be around 1300 calories.
    so i had about 1700 calories yesterday and did 65 minutes of stairmaster watching angels game.

today this morning i had a large butter croissant. about~400 calories. cup of black coffee.

this is an adjustment towards a fast hopefully as eating 2000 let alone 1700 is very rare for me.
    friday nights are my weaknesses as my wife is at her mother's at church and i am left home alone to eat /buy anything i want. hopefully i can just minimize my eating to 1000 ~ calories and do the stairmaster and continue

11. 1969

1969 Senior member

isnt calories same as any calories? my point is, that the muffin with its 400 calories will keep me sated longer than a 400 calorie salad
    Calories are not calories. As long as you keep the added fats out you can eat as much salad and steamed vegetables as you want. Not only does it provide a lot of fiber which gives you a sense of being full, but those leafy greens are DENSE in micronutrients. Those micronutrients will regulate your appetite naturally because you'll be getting the nutrients you need. When you eat refined foods like muffins you get no micronutrients and therefore your body keeps looking for what it needs. If you are doing some sort of a modified fast, just eat a huge salad with fat free dressing once a day, and as much steamed veggies as you want and a tiny (2-4oz) amount of broiled chicken. Later, add in legumes, nuts and seeds, fruits, and sparing amounts of meat, dairy and oil.

12. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

13. Star

Star Senior member

If you do actually get to a point where aren't easting those croissants and do become calorie deficient, you will need to keep in mind the effects the fast may have on your state of mind. You won't go nuts but you may find that you become a little moody, grumpier and or even slightly depressed. Doesen't happen to everyone but worth keeping a note of so you are aware of it and you can psych yourself accordingly.

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

ok will do. i'll keep that in mind.

15. why

why Senior member

Calories are not calories. As long as you keep the added fats out you can eat as much salad and steamed vegetables as you want. Not only does it provide a lot of fiber which gives you a sense of being full, but those leafy greens are DENSE in micronutrients. Those micronutrients will regulate your appetite naturally because you'll be getting the nutrients you need. When you eat refined foods like muffins you get no micronutrients and therefore your body keeps looking for what it needs. If you are doing some sort of a modified fast, just eat a huge salad with fat free dressing once a day, and as much steamed veggies as you want and a tiny (2-4oz) amount of broiled chicken. Later, add in legumes, nuts and seeds, fruits, and sparing amounts of meat, dairy and oil.

Basically, ignore this entire post because it's nonsense.

16. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

why, why? it makes sense. rather than a big croissant or muffin at 400 empty calories consume a salad with beans and some white meat in it for 400 efficient calories with nutrients. how does this become nonsense please explain i am being serious

17. freude

freude New Member

long fast => boredom + huge meal = worse off than before... got me more than once.
    how does this become nonsense please explain i am being serious
    because: calories are actually calories, there is a limit to how much vegetables you should eat, fiber doesn't give you a "sense of being full", a multivitamin has as many "micronutrients" as you will ever need and you still get hungry after taking it, i.e. your body doesn't "look for what it needs" by signaling hunger when it lacks nutrients. and he throws a bunch of cliche diet options around at the end that no one really follows. In other words, I lol'd. What you said in your OP is fine. It's what I have been following for a year and I manage. What I mean to say is I fast intermittently with a similar game plan.

18. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

long fast => boredom + huge meal = worse off than before... got me more than once.

because: calories are actually calories, there is a limit to how much vegetables you should eat, fiber doesn't give you a "sense of being full", a multivitamin has as many "micronutrients" as you will ever need and you still get hungry after taking it, i.e. your body doesn't "look for what it needs" by signaling hunger when it lacks nutrients. and he throws a bunch of cliche diet options around at the end that no one really follows. In other words, I lol'd.

What you said in your OP is fine. It's what I have been following for a year and I manage. What I mean to say is I fast intermittently with a similar game plan.

trust me ive been there before.

19. 1969

1969 Senior member

because: calories are actually calories, there is a limit to how much vegetables you should eat, fiber doesn't give you a "sense of being full", a multivitamin has as many "micronutrients" as you will ever need and you still get hungry after taking it, i.e. your body doesn't "look for what it needs" by signaling hunger when it lacks nutrients. and he throws a bunch of cliche diet options around at the end that no one really follows. In other words, I lol'd.

What you said in your OP is fine. It's what I have been following for a year and I manage. What I mean to say is I fast intermittently with a similar game plan.

1)Calories are not equal: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa16.htm

2) And what is that limit?

3)Fiber makes you full:http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/NU00195

I'll give you the last point- nobody really follows shit which is why most guys my age have a 38" waist.

20. why

why Senior member