• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

most overrated athletes

Farhan

Reaction score
No worries. Just trying to add a contrasting opinion.

Some more:

Roddick
Reggie Bush
Mickelson
Vince Carter
Beckham
Babe Ruth
Romo
Urlacher

Lebron is a season away from being placed on my list.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lebron can only do so much.

roddick is near the top, for sure.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Koufax didn't have the career stats, but had a four-year run that was the best anyone had ever seen, and got into the HOF on that basis. (Because the pitching mound was higher in Koufax's day, I believe that Greg Maddux and Pedro Martinez have had four-year runs that have since surpassed Koufax's.) He is probably slightly overrated, but not among the most overrated.

Randy Johnson, too. Not overrated, but having a 4 year run better than Koufax.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not much of a sports fan, but I'll weigh in on a couple of these:

Cal Ripken--who gives a **** that he showed up for every game for X years? Do you know how many people do that at their jobs? And they work way more, at jobs that are just as demanding, and for way less pay. Congrats for showing up to work Cal.

David Beckham--not overrated, sorry. While not the best of his generation by any stretch, he is an excellent player who has chosen to sign for at least two clubs at the wrong time (Real Madrid and Los Galacticos was a bad plan, and the LA Galaxy which is an MLS team, and there's no helping ****** teammates). And as much as any other sport, one man cannot make a team. He also does something that I think a lot of American athletes can learn from: he puts country above club. I think that is a class act; what he wants is for England to win and if the coach wants him there he'll do everything he can to be in shape and playing at top form.

b

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Since Beckham is one of the two most famous athletes in the world, and he's never been the best player in his own sport or even close to that (while still being very good) isn't that the textbook definition of overrated?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get all the Cal haters out there. Do you remember what a productive SS looked like before 1983? They'd have what 10 HR's and 55RBI in a season?? Beyond the streak, he's got 425+ HRs 3000+ hits a 19 time All Star and 2 count them 2 MVPs.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
I don't get all the Cal haters out there. Do you remember what a productive SS looked like before 1983? They'd have what 10 HR's and 55RBI in a season?? Beyond the streak, he's got 425+ HRs 3000+ hits a 19 time All Star and 2 count them 2 MVPs.

+1. Ripken's talents have become underrated because the streak is the first and only thing most people remember.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Since Beckham is one of the two most famous athletes in the world, and he's never been the best player in his own sport or even close to that (while still being very good) isn't that the textbook definition of overrated?
If anything, he's underrated. As a celebrity, he's overrated. As the messiah of soccer in America, he's highly overrated. But as a pure footballer...he's underrated. People just don't understand that at the position he plays, he's just not the goal scoring player he's expected to be. He's won just about every trophy he could possibly win (except the World Cup, which is more of a commentary on the state of English football as a whole), and he makes any team he's on better. Exhibit A of the underratedness of David Beckham is his last season with Real Madrid in 06/07 where he single handedly brought the team back from the brink and won the championship. Even at 34/35, he's still got it.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How about Jose Canseco?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads