• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

most overrated athletes

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
I also don't understand A.I. He is without question one of the best scorers in the history of the NBA. No one has ever said he was a great team player or that he makes people better. They just say he is one of the best scorers ever. Granted, my NBA viewing is only 18 years or so, but there is absolutely no one else I would have taking a game winning shot, besides Jordan of course.

lol8[1].gif

I like AI, but that's just absurd. AI wasn't even the go-to guy in the clutch for half of his Sixers years or during his Nugget stint. It was Kyle Korver and 'Melo, respectively.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much as I love Kyle Korver (he went to Creighton) that is completely crazy. I watched practically every 76ers game for almost 2 seasons during Korver's second and third year and while I thought Korver should have gotten the ball much more, if you can't beat anyone off the dribble and your name isn't Ray Allen, it is pretty difficult to be the guy you go to in the clutch. I can only remember one time Korver made a game winning/tying shot and that was a double or triple overtime game against the Celtics where he may have made two of them.

Iverson was not in this prime after he left the 76ers...

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's not too bad considering they were below .500 in 2 out of 3 years.

AI's 3 point, and sometimes, even midrange shooting is/was spotty at best, and that alone should eliminate him from the conversation if you include much better shooters like Kobe, Pierce, Allen, or Reggie Miller. Or look at it this way, if you do a search for "Allen Iverson clutch" on youtube, one of the top results is Horry's shot over him in the '01 Finals.
smile.gif

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Farhan
No worries. Just trying to add a contrasting opinion.

Some more:

Roddick
Reggie Bush
Mickelson
Vince Carter
Beckham
Babe Ruth
Romo
Urlacher

Lebron is a season away from being placed on my list.

That's crap

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
If anything, he's underrated. As a celebrity, he's overrated. As the messiah of soccer in America, he's highly overrated. But as a pure footballer...he's underrated.

People just don't understand that at the position he plays, he's just not the goal scoring player he's expected to be.

He's won just about every trophy he could possibly win (except the World Cup, which is more of a commentary on the state of English football as a whole), and he makes any team he's on better.

This.

MHH89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
David Robinson - Good but got consistently pwned by Hakeem every year.

Agreed, and without Duncan, The Admiral would have never won a ring.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's hard for a center to carry a team to a championship. Shaq had Dwyane Wade help, or even carry the team. The only center I know that has done this is Hakeem - he was totally unlike any other center.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
It's hard for a center to carry a team to a championship. Shaq had Dwyane Wade help, or even carry the team. The only center I know that has done this is Hakeem - he was totally unlike any other center.

Don't tell that to Kareem. "Tell your old man drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes!".

daft

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS

I always thought it was the opposite. It's hard for a guard to carry a team to a championship and the only player who did it was Jordan. Hakeem had Drexler.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hakeem had Drexler for the second championship. Abdul Jabbar had, ahem, Magic Johnson, et al.

Also, for the record, my original comment was in response to David Robinson being overrated and that it took Tim Duncan to come along for him to win a championship. This is just my opinion, of course, and Robinson's value vs perceived value can be looked at a million different ways.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
X1000000000000000

Originally Posted by Farhan
No worries. Just trying to add a contrasting opinion.

Some more:

Roddick
Reggie Bush
Mickelson
Vince Carter
Beckham
Babe Ruth
Romo
Urlacher

Lebron is a season away from being placed on my list.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Darko Milicic and Kwame Brown.

it's very hard to fall far short of even the lowest expectations, but no one does it better than these two

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by daft
I always thought it was the opposite. It's hard for a guard to carry a team to a championship and the only player who did it was Jordan. Hakeem had Drexler.

Hakeem is also the only All Star player to win a championship without another All Star on the team. That pretty much tells you how good he was that first championship year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads