• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket Appreciation

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
They do bespoke, not MTM. It's a little over 3000 euros for a jacket and a little over 4000 euros for a two-piece suit. That's VAT inclusive.

wow. Impressive indeed.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Well, it could have been a bust or a mere conceit...but after having used it from spring to the present, and also on a couple short trips, it has worked out great.

The second (and last) one is the DB in plain navy Golden Bale flannel that is being made up now. That will add a set of buttons in brown horn, a darker brass (instead of the gilt buttons for the SB) buttons set, and a set of MoP buttons in more of a pearl white. The buttons for the DB can be used on the SB. Swapping them in an out is swift.

- B

Bill, is this something only your tailor can do, or could mine figure it out?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Couple more random jacket cross-posted, but larger, closeups.

293938016_EyEvR-O.jpg

483795730_2XTz7-X2.jpg

- B

Maximillion

Reaction score
This jacket is just perfect. I hope my new (mystery fo sure) bespoke tailor in italy comes anywhere close. Did you (Mafoo not Vox) already reveal what the book (cloth) is?

Regards from Berlin,

Max

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm dreaming of a navy double-breasted suit whose buttons can be swapped at will for white MOP to turn the jacket into a blazer.
Why does this sound suspiciously familiar? Are you a fran of George Hamilton too?

They do bespoke, not MTM. It's a little over 3000 euros for a jacket and
yegads. At Charvet that was the price for one in cashmere.
Originally Posted by dopey
Practically giving the stuff away.
MAFOOFAN is more prestigious than you (or me).

Whatever, dwarf. Raphael just charged my buddy $5,500 for a two-piece suit in a basic fabric.
Is he in BIGLAW?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Whatever, dwarf. Raphael just charged my buddy $5,500 for a two-piece suit in a basic fabric.

That is what I meant.
Huntsman bespoke is nearly 4k Sterling as well. For what many consider to be at the top end of bespoke, Rubinacci is reasonable priced.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Bill, is this something only your tailor can do, or could mine figure it out?

Sure. The photos above would save him time figuring it out, perhaps even lead to better approaches that did not surface with us.

But...would he be willing to commit such folly? Or would it tickle his curiosity?

I feel that the longevity of the concept depends on, among other things, how well and strongly the buttonholes are sewn. Obviously, this is not an issue for your guy. For the kind of buttonholes done by the Hong Kong tailors, though, I would have them finish off both sides like the way Oxxford used to do.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maximillion
This jacket is just perfect. I hope my new (mystery fo sure) bespoke tailor in italy comes anywhere close. Did you (Mafoo not Vox) already reveal what the book (cloth) is?

It's not meant to be a secret--I just don't remember exactly what the code is. I believe it's still available in the current Worsted Alsport collection.

Originally Posted by RJman
Why does this sound suspiciously familiar?

Because I've mentioned it several dozen times.

yegads. At Charvet that was the price for one in cashmere.
MAFOOFAN is more prestigious than you (or me).

How does the workmanship compare? Is there as much done by hand? I know Charvet offers bespoke tailoring, but I know little to nothing about the product.

Is he in BIGLAW?

More like BIGHEDGEFUND.

That is what I meant.
Huntsman bespoke is nearly 4k Sterling as well. For what many consider to be at the top end of bespoke, Rubinacci is reasonable priced.

Ah, sorry to get snappy with you. I'm on a short fuse today. But you're right: everyone seems extra pricey these days. I had a tough time helping my friend decide between Raphael and Rubinacci.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
It is. And it does justice to the coat -- much more so than in the usual robotic photos.

By the way, it occurred to me that, despite having seen the same tweed and flannel many times (I mean that in a good way: the uniform thing works for me), I've never seen any of Mafoofan's summer clothing. Now I'm almost curious.

Thats a good photo of foof.

I've got to say - and I know I'm biased - but there is simply nothing I've seen on this board, in real life, or anywhere else for that matter that looks as good as LH. Let the flaming begin...

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How does the workmanship compare? Is there as much done by hand? I know Charvet offers bespoke tailoring, but I know little to nothing about the product.
I don't know, I haven't cut it up or anything. The cut ended up being a bit 1970s playboy rather than 1930s DoW, but whatever. Muslin fitting.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.

I've got to say - and I know I'm biased - but there is simply nothing I've seen on this board, in real life, or anywhere else for that matter that looks as good as LH. Let the flaming begin...

I think that people liked the A&S Breamfish more on you than your LH stuff, though...plebians all, true...

I'm looking forward to tossing in the next batch of Steed into the ring...they reflect some thinking deriving from my MBTâ„¢ project. Plus, they will be shot with decent cameras, unlike my old pics.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.

Thanks. I'm biased, too. Mariano puts a lot of effort into making things right. You guys know how whiny I am, so you can imagine how patient and attentive they've been with me.

Still, it's hard to argue with the enormous savings you get from dealing with A&S.

I don't know, I haven't cut it up or anything. The cut ended up being a bit 1970s playboy rather than 1930s DoW, but whatever. Muslin fitting.

Muslin fitting for a suit? Interesting. Why haven't we seen pictures of this bad boy? In fact, I hear there's a thread dedicated to exactly that sort of thing . . .

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

Stupid, lazy, but typical thread question: does anyone know what A. Caraceni costs these days?

Afbeelding%20020.jpg

- B

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Muslin fitting for a suit? Interesting. .
Thought it was in keeping with the new administration.
Why haven't we seen pictures of this bad boy? In fact, I hear there's a thread dedicated to exactly that sort of thing . .
I don't show up on film.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads