• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you know what I fkn can't stand?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I recently picked up a NOS pair of a type wool plaid shirts called a "lobster tweed" that Bergdorf marketed in the 1970s at...get this...over $200 a shirt back then...crazy! Disco lumberjack stuff.

When I wear them, I am going to dedicate the photographs to whiny.

- B

Please post pics of this "Disco lumberjack stuff".

I'm older than you youngin ( though not nearly as smart or affluent ).

I actually went to Studio 54 in the 1970's. Not because I was "in" or enamored of that disco stuff ( nor had the money to blow ) but because I worked for Roy Cohn. And he and Halston ( Roy F. ) would often go there and let me go as a sort of designated driver ( which meant I was much less stoned than they were ). It was an interesting era.

But seriously I don't recall that Bergdorf look at all. If you have time pics would be nice. They must be a real rarity.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
@Cleveland: Wow, who'd have thought? That's as big a surprise as the pics of a youthful Lainie Kazan...

@rnoldh: I think blow was the operative word for that time and with that crowd...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
But seriously I don't recall that Bergdorf look at all. If you have time pics would be nice. They must be a real rarity.

I will. But, only the period is disco...the shirts are pure lumberjack. They are like souped up pre-de-cajoned Pendleton, complete with old school three-hole MoP buttons like they were bespoke (which they are not.)

I can't wait until whiny sees the shirts so that he can viciously attack my ankles.

- B

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, not to be snarky or anything, but when you big-timers wear these lumberjacky kind of threads, is it for irony?

Or what?

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Damn, I was hoping for a new rant thread from whnay.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ That young, blonde woman is super hot, and I think not yet taken if any of you are interested.

- B

Her heavy upper arm implies a thick torso.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
So, not to be snarky or anything, but when you big-timers wear these lumberjacky kind of threads, is it for irony?

Or what?

I don't mean to blow your mind, but I genuinely like the stuff. I find the whole Nipponese-faux-deluxe workwear stuff very appealing.

It's very Arts and Crafts to me, if that makes sense. Equally false, but with the same weird devotion to quality.

- B

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EasyGoing
Oh god, is he on Battery in front of the Bay Club and Levi's HQ? On his way to Fog City Diner!

OMG you're right! I believe that's in Jackson Square, near the corner where Old Ship Saloon is located.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
All these off the run small time wannabe ivy leaguers who think that just because they live in the northeast (even though they live in NJ or God help us MI) they think they are cool for wearing vintage flannel, raw denim and some other fkn non-sense because they fancy themselves as the second coming of JFK or Paul Bunyan. **** them and the selvedge they ride on.

Simple fkn liberal basterds. Same goes for any city comso who think's they fkn chop down pine trees because they wear Alden boots. If you spend more than an hour in second hand stores (ie - vintage) during the week your a dipshit who has way too much time on their hands (ie - making a small time wage).

whnay out.

Shut the **** up.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
464454007_f4beJ-X2.jpg

- B

Macho maco man ...I wanna be ..a macho man...

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm actually amazed that the forum barfed this thread back up to the top. I bought Selvage denim last week and i'm buying a lumberjack shirt tomorrow complete with suede elbow patches.

The timing was impeccable.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I'm actually amazed that the forum barfed this thread back up to the top. I bought Selvage denim last week and i'm buying a lumberjack shirt tomorrow complete with suede elbow patches.

The timing was impeccable.

Great. Now all you need is a handkerchief, Navajo jewelry, leather bracelets, a vintage down vest, a quick release belt, and old military watch to complete your Halloween costume. However, can you grow a handlebar mustache in time?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I thought you were going to say when people put the cookies on the top shelf.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads