• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video Games

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Only level 5, but not getting the warm fuzzies over Aion yet.

That's cause you haven't seen my avatar yet!
laugh.gif
You have to applaud them for the female models.

Nananine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Helix
eve-online.com Game is ultra-harsh by mmo standards. Learning curve is ******* vertical and there are opportunities to **** people over basically all the time. That said Aion looks good but eve is my only mmo. Cannot do another.
I was in the same boat (played for years), but EVE is practically pointless to play unless you're in a major alliance at war. Luckily I was, and our times were glorious.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
That's cause you haven't seen my avatar yet!
laugh.gif
You have to applaud them for the female models.

The graphics are nice enough and the combat is well-done. Even as a templar (the sword-and-board class) I can mix up skills that result in much slaughter.

The real game doesn't start until you ascend at level 10. Then you get your wings.

Lachy

Reaction score
So, Forza 3 demo, for those of you who care (I think I have drastically different VG tastes to the rest of SF, but oh well). Basically, I'm a way worse driver than I thought, if this game is anything to go by.

You get 5 cars, a Mini Cooper John Works, a Mitsubishi Evo X, Ferrari California, Audi V10 R8, and a Porsche 911 GT3 RS. And one track to roar around. All you get to customize is the colour, which kinda sucks. In the full game you can fully tune the cars. The cars all make distinct sounds, it sounds and looks great.

The game has a butt-load of assists, so pretty well anyone can pick it up and race decently, it even has a rewind function, so if you mess up, you can rewind and replay the corner.

It's good fun, but I would have liked a few more options to play around with. In the mean time, I can get used to breaking and cornering, and feathering the throttle a bit better.

Is anyone else out there giving this ago? Hit me with your gamertag, I'm ManiacLachy

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
The graphics are nice enough and the combat is well-done. Even as a templar (the sword-and-board class) I can mix up skills that result in much slaughter. The real game doesn't start until you ascend at level 10. Then you get your wings.
I would say even that's too early to really know what it will play like. I told piobaire he has to play until level 25 before making a decision. We both started on Vaizel last night. I got my wings and went to bed. I've played enough mmos to know that you can't make a decision based on the newbie levels. From everything i've read the mechanics of the game change significantly once you get to level 25-30. The quests thin out so you need to grind and grouping becomes mandatory at around level 30, there's pvp, etc. Hopefully it will be good. I made a cleric for my main and i'm gonna make an assassin twink for solo PKing in the Abyss once I hit level 50. Piobaire hates the interface. I think it's average but workable. It's not really an obstacle for me anymore. I think an important thing to note is that they are saying NO MODS. Mods frankly ruin games. Ya, there are helpful ones, but there are so many that destroy aspects of the game. Mods will inevitably come out for aion as people reverse-engineer ****, but it's going to be much more difficult. This is especially important since PvP is a core element of the game. In past games it got to the point where you needed the mods or you were at a disadvantage. Asheron's call was the first game I experienced this in and mods (and bots combined with experience chains) destroyed the game. The longer that they can prevent those type of mods from affecting the game, the better imo.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Well, after my life in EQ, I became firmly convinced the game doesn't really start until you hit level cap and are doing end game stuff. End game in EQ was a totally different experience than what 95% of the playing population experienced. WoW was not so l33t, as it was much easier to get to end game, particularly in the release version. The last expac made it a bit tougher to get into the top dungeons, but nothing like old EQ.

So, I'll do at least lvl 25. You can start to get a feeling by that point. If the interface just let me put black as the background for chat, I'd be 50% happier with it.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Well, after my life in EQ, I became firmly convinced the game doesn't really start until you hit level cap and are doing end game stuff. End game in EQ was a totally different experience than what 95% of the playing population experienced. WoW was not so l33t, as it was much easier to get to end game, particularly in the release version. The last expac made it a bit tougher to get into the top dungeons, but nothing like old EQ.

So, I'll do at least lvl 25. You can start to get a feeling by that point. If the interface just let me put black as the background for chat, I'd be 50% happier with it.

The ui is definitely the weakest point imo. A lot of people are complaining about the lack of an opacity control for the chat windows. Once they're done with the launch it will hopefully be addressed as it's definitely low-hanging fruit.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Downloaded Zuma's Revenge on Steam. Very well-done and with Steam achievements. Between Plants vs. Zombies, this and the WoW Peggle add-on PopCap is dominating my lost time this year.
cry.gif

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nananine
I was in the same boat (played for years), but EVE is practically pointless to play unless you're in a major alliance at war. Luckily I was, and our times were glorious.

Big alliance wars are pointless once you realize that they are basically seasonal and the only thing that changes are the names of the guys who own a region and what particular internet-megalomaniac is popular. Game is about finding a decent bunch of guys with whom you can fly a few dozen jumps, kill, get killed, go home, and enjoy the experience. That or join faction warfare and kill noobs in frigates.

Nananine

Reaction score
Big alliance wars are pointless once you realize that they are basically seasonal and the only thing that changes are the names of the guys who own a region and what particular internet-megalomaniac is popular. Game is about finding a decent bunch of guys with whom you can fly a few dozen jumps, kill, get killed, go home, and enjoy the experience. That or join faction warfare and kill noobs in frigates.

Not when you get to disband an entire alliance and steal their stuff

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nananine
Not when you get to disband an entire alliance and steal their stuff
band_of_brothers_hbo_logo.jpg

**** yeah. (I severely doubt anyone but me and nan will understand that on this forum but here we go anyway)

Also been playing Arkham Asylum and it is great. Scarecrow sections are
worship.gif

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** yeah. (I severely doubt anyone but me and nan will understand that on this forum but here we go anyway)

I know exactly what you're talking about even though I don't play, which probably makes me even nerdier than you guys.

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
I know exactly what you're talking about even though I don't play, which probably makes me even nerdier than you guys.

Its okay. I'll get some Mountain Dew and cheetos and we can play DnD till that feeling goes away.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Okay, I lied. Highly unlikely I'll take Aion to lvl 25.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Up to level 20 in Aion, and it's pretty decent. It's just an mmo, with all the mmo trappings but now with a gorgeous CryEngine luster.

I don't think we'll see anything revolutionary until maybe possibly The Old Republic comes out, and I'm not holding my breath until Bioware truly delivers on the hype.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads