• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear a casual tie?

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
yes we have

you-shall-not-pass.jpg

i bet theres a tie under his beard

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
yeah but he's at work

i didnt know wizardry required one to wear a tie. seems to me like that would be more of a redwing type of job

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's just a bit of an unnatural look. When I wear a tie, I'm not allowed to wear jeans, usually. When I wear jeans, it's a relief not to be in tie-necessary situations. So when I see people mix the two, I automatically think - 'what are you trying to pull? It's obvious you have no reason to wear a tie.' There is something sort of corporate subversive there.

However, if it must be done, I prefer it in a professorial look (cord jacket, oxford cloth shirt, shlumpyish jeans) rather than the GQ slick/Jonas 4th brother look. Whatever.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by riraito
i wear it when i feel like it cause i can. 95% of guys don't know how to tie a tie where i live.
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
i think thats one of the main reasons i feel like i can as well. i live in houston where "dressed up" is an ed hardy tee and true religions. i can do whatever the **** i want and nobody will know the difference anyway
willing to bet you two don't wear it nearly as well as you think like christmas party guy earlier. i guess comparing to edhardy/true religions makes it seem better by comparison for you or something i dunno. even eason is pushing it imo although looks solid because he's in good shape and attractive which are probably the only reasons it looks ok on him

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
willing to bet you two don't wear it nearly as well as you think like christmas party guy earlier. i guess comparing to edhardy/true religions makes it seem better by comparison for you or something i dunno.

even eason is pushing it imo although looks solid because he's in good shape and attractive which are probably the only reasons it looks ok on him

man if you think eason is pushing it id love to see what your wardrobe consists of

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
What chrono said, wearing a tie casually makes you look like an asshole.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it works great so long as you don't wear anything super casual, if you look at Eason his jeans are dark and slim and he is wearing boots/shoes most of the time, so he is never in full casual mode. Same goes for the guy wearing the vest. If you do want to go super casual I think the tie needs to be some sort of argyle or tartan print or something casual.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
I think it works great so long as you don't wear anything super casual, if you look at Eason his jeans are dark and slim and he is wearing boots/shoes most of the time, so he is never in full casual mode. Same goes for the guy wearing the vest. If you do want to go super casual I think the tie needs to be some sort of argyle or tartan print or something casual.

i agree, even though nobody else does, but i like to use the material of the tie to make it less formal i.e. a square ended chambray tie

riraito

Reaction score
to be honest, i probably don't look that good. but i don't live in a stylish city, so i don't look that bad by relativity. if i tried to pull off that look on this forum i'd get roasted, but in everyday life i'd just look a step above my peers

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MOST of the looks on this forum would get you roasted anywhere but new york, la, or sf. i live in an area where manual labor is commonplace. ive worked on a ranch, in a foundry, and in construction to name a few. if i wore half the stuff that is so popular here (boots and flannel) id probably never get laid because everyone would think i just got off work

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
man if you think eason is pushing it id love to see what your wardrobe consists of
pushing it as in casual tie looking good which it normally does not. I have plenty of slim dark jeans and slim white dress shirts if i want to pull an eason. As far as his wardrobe pushing it. He wears basics (albeit skinny ones). Nothing even sort of potentially offensive unless some people just really dislike tight clothes. Again, he's a good looking dude so he gets more leeway still willing to bet you pull off the tie pretty poorly. feel free to prove myself and jet wrong. one of those things like casual vests that rarely look good out of gq magazine spreads with good looking models, good photographers and expensive clothing. i've seen it look cool in look books as well. Even on jskissi i'm not a huge fan but he's a super eccentric and stylish guy with an eye for color, fit, proportions and textures so he can work it alright enough and can look cool doing whatever. Casual tie, casual vest, or blazer/graphic tee/jeans are usually the go to items of the bad dresser who thinks he's "going fashion". Kinda cute in its own way

randomusername

Reaction score
I posted a pretty similar question in the "Ask a quick question" thread, and I still strongly feel that Daiki Suzuki and J. Kissi both pull it off really well, although they don't typically do it with jeans:
ojm1qe.png
2egcyhi.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads