How to wear a casual tie?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Sazari, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Indeed, here's one of mine: [​IMG]

2. Robert

Robert Senior member

You should definitely tuck in the button down. There's no two ways about that. I don't know if you have a really awesome tie you want to show off or not, but you could always wear a tie and a shirt under nice V-neck sweater and look nice but not come off as overdressed for school or hanging out or whatever you plan to be doing with your tie on.

As alternative to the v-ncek, how about a thin cardigan? I think that looks very sharp. And definitely tuck in that shirt in any case.

3. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

You definitely need some sort of jacket, cardigan or sweater to pull it off. Jeans or trousers need to be "dressy" too.

4. slycedbred

slycedbred Senior member

[​IMG]

This is bad, imho. Not being rude, but in an advice thread I suppose we should be as honest as possible.

5. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

[​IMG] also wore the same tie with a red white Brooks bros gingham shirt at a bar with success.

6. TheFusilliJerry

TheFusilliJerry Senior member

sweater sort of tones down the 'oh shit its a tie and jeans' thing

7. TheFusilliJerry

TheFusilliJerry Senior member

This is bad, imho. Not being rude, but in an advice thread I suppose we should be as honest as possible.

whats so bad about it? i mean its nothing great but its not awful

8. slycedbred

slycedbred Senior member

Not great, but not awful -- is that the look you go for? What I'm trying to say is that in an advice thread, the advice should actually be good. Not "decent".

9. Lysol

Lysol Senior member

It's a business tie and a dress shirt at a party. It's jeans with a business tie and dress shirt. It's the sartorial version of the mullet. Business up top, party on the bottom. An oxford shirt with a button down collar and it's a totally different story.

The most important part of style is understanding situational dressing. If you're bent on wearing ties, get a job that requires you to wear one. Go to restaurants that insist that you wear them. At the very least, adjust your entire wardrobe so that a tie wouldn't look entirely pedestrian.

[​IMG]

10. soundworks

soundworks Member

Indeed, here's one of mine:
    [​IMG]

n00b here...is there anything I should look for in particular when trying to pull off this shirt+tie+sweater look? iow, what should I look for when purchasing a shirt and sweater?

11. Robert

Robert Senior member

I think it's a tricky thing. SuperBobo succeeds because there's a fascinating and almost offhanded combination not only of patterns but also of textures. I think a jeans-and-tie combinaton often can look a little contrived, forced. Unless you're willing and able to push the envelop as SuperBobo does, I'd rather just see jeans and v-neck/cardi with tee, or v-neck/cardi with dress shirt/tie and dress pants.

12. James Bond

James Bond Senior member

Indeed, here's one of mine:
    [​IMG]

Fix your collar.

13. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

I agree that you need something to tone down the shock of a tie. A v-neck sweater is good, and I believe a waist coat can help, as well; this didn't turn out too bad:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Fix your collar.

It looks better slightly undone.

15. glasses guy

glasses guy New Member

noob here (obviously) but is it really dat serious. wear it how u wanna wear it. me, i wear ties with button down shirts NOT tucked in, top button not buttoned, sleeves rolled up, with fitted jeans, and chucks. sometimes a wear a button down sweater vest with it and i get compliments all the time. my advice would be to make the look your own. the only deciding factor is that you just be confident with it. if u wear it and realize u don't like it, just change it next time u wear it. but again, i'm just a noob.

Glasses guy