• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear a casual tie?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Indeed, here's one of mine:
waywtnocoatkr6.jpg

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappysloopy
You should definitely tuck in the button down. There's no two ways about that. I don't know if you have a really awesome tie you want to show off or not, but you could always wear a tie and a shirt under nice V-neck sweater and look nice but not come off as overdressed for school or hanging out or whatever you plan to be doing with your tie on.

As alternative to the v-ncek, how about a thin cardigan? I think that looks very sharp. And definitely tuck in that shirt in any case.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You definitely need some sort of jacket, cardigan or sweater to pull it off. Jeans or trousers need to be "dressy" too.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
n1469400119300775075681ii2.jpg

This is bad, imho. Not being rude, but in an advice thread I suppose we should be as honest as possible.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dads3b.jpg
also wore the same tie with a red white Brooks bros gingham shirt at a bar with success.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slycedbred
This is bad, imho. Not being rude, but in an advice thread I suppose we should be as honest as possible.

whats so bad about it? i mean its nothing great but its not awful

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry

Not great, but not awful -- is that the look you go for? What I'm trying to say is that in an advice thread, the advice should actually be good. Not "decent".

Lysol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry

It's a business tie and a dress shirt at a party. It's jeans with a business tie and dress shirt. It's the sartorial version of the mullet. Business up top, party on the bottom. An oxford shirt with a button down collar and it's a totally different story.

The most important part of style is understanding situational dressing. If you're bent on wearing ties, get a job that requires you to wear one. Go to restaurants that insist that you wear them. At the very least, adjust your entire wardrobe so that a tie wouldn't look entirely pedestrian.

30_05%20avril%20lavigne2002.jpg

soundworks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
waywtnocoatkr6.jpg

n00b here...is there anything I should look for in particular when trying to pull off this shirt+tie+sweater look? iow, what should I look for when purchasing a shirt and sweater?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think it's a tricky thing. SuperBobo succeeds because there's a fascinating and almost offhanded combination not only of patterns but also of textures. I think a jeans-and-tie combinaton often can look a little contrived, forced. Unless you're willing and able to push the envelop as SuperBobo does, I'd rather just see jeans and v-neck/cardi with tee, or v-neck/cardi with dress shirt/tie and dress pants.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
waywtnocoatkr6.jpg

Fix your collar.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bond
Fix your collar.

It looks better slightly undone.

glasses guy

Reaction score
noob here (obviously) but is it really dat serious. wear it how u wanna wear it. me, i wear ties with button down shirts NOT tucked in, top button not buttoned, sleeves rolled up, with fitted jeans, and chucks. sometimes a wear a button down sweater vest with it and i get compliments all the time. my advice would be to make the look your own. the only deciding factor is that you just be confident with it. if u wear it and realize u don't like it, just change it next time u wear it. but again, i'm just a noob.

Glasses guy

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads