1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How to wear a casual tie?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Sazari, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

I posted a pretty similar question in the "Ask a quick question" thread, and I still strongly feel that Daiki Suzuki and J. Kissi both pull it off really well, although they don't typically do it with jeans:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

come on man, suzuki is wearing cargo pants. do you mean to tell me you'd rather wear cargo pants than jeans?

2. dusty

dusty Senior member

Ok guys it's not that it necessarily looks bad, it's that when most people see a dude dressed like that, their first thought will not be "that guy is well put-together" but rather "why is that guy wearing a tie?"

3. randomusername

randomusername Well-Known Member

come on man, suzuki is wearing cargo pants. do you mean to tell me you'd rather wear cargo pants than jeans?

No, not at all; replace those cargo pants with the exact same color in a chino and they'd look just fine, though, and much better than with jeans.

4. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

Ok guys it's not that it necessarily looks bad, it's that when most people see a dude dressed like that, their first thought will not be "that guy is well put-together" but rather "why is that guy wearing a tie?"

ok, i'll buy that, but i just don't think its a bad thing

5. PinkPantser

PinkPantser Senior member

pretty much.

I wore a tie in a casual way at least a couple times a week for two years and looking back through my waywt's i'll admit a lot of them look pretty silly (and even then I was working in an office, not wearing a tie to go out with friends or to class or whatever). There are a few looks that I still really like though.

6. Eason

Eason Senior member

What chrono said, wearing a tie casually makes you look like an asshole.

It might be I just look like an asshole?

7. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

Casual tie, casual vest, or blazer/graphic tee/jeans are usually the go to items of the bad dresser who thinks he's "going fashion". Kinda cute in its own way

Hoho, this is so true, gotta quote it. If I had a penny for every guy I've seen awkwardly wearing a blazer that doesn't go with anything else he is wearing simply because he wants to look "cool and sophisticated" I'd be wiping my ass with thom browne suits.

On a similar note around here it's really popular for guys to wear winklepicker shoes with skin-tight jeans and button up with a women's cropped leather jacket, don't ask me why but it seems most of the young fashion kiddos like to wear this gettup, surprisingly it looks alright half the time, they do occasionally incorporate a skinny black tie into the mix.

8. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Haha. Do people realize the BoO context models are wearing ties to show them off to sell not because it looks good?

Daiki looks dope as hell but he has style for miles so you can't just replicate that. Jskiss looks alright i guess. Not a huge fan of the tie but then again, most the other posters defending ties don't have a quarter of the eye for style he/daiki have.

I'm waiting for the thread asking if wearing a casual vest, casual blazer, casual tie, and casual fedora can all be worn together for the ultimate terrible mish mash of gq styles

9. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

^daiki looks awsome, love the cargos (m-51 or m-65?) in the context. It would have looked equally good, and perhaps more natural without the tie though.

10. breakz

breakz Senior member

Daiki looks dope as hell but he has style for miles so you can't just replicate that.
    First: totally agree that Context models wear ties to sell them. This is as plain as day...it's like basing your looks off stuff in a J.Crew catalog. I'm interested in this thought: "style for miles." I'm not sure I follow. You mean he looks comfortable in his clothes? The tie fits his aesthetic well? Or he gets a pass b/c he designs?

11. Robert

Robert Senior member

..it's like basing your looks off stuff in a J.Crew catalog.

Actually, I base my looks--oh, wait, this isn't the J. Crew thread. Never mind. [​IMG]

12. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

First: totally agree that Context models wear ties to sell them. This is as plain as day...it's like basing your looks off stuff in a J.Crew catalog. I'm interested in this thought: "style for miles." I'm not sure I follow. You mean he looks comfortable in his clothes? The tie fits his aesthetic well? Or he gets a pass b/c he designs?
    All the pieces work really well as a whole. All the details including facial hair, actual hair work with the outfit. The layering looks well done but not stuffy. The stuff fits him really well (note that fitting well doesn't only mean fitting skinny) for his body and aesthetic. All the small things are clicking. He obviously has a fine eye for detail, fit, proportions, color, textures, layering, styling, etc... Basically, his look works. I don't think the average person will be able to look at that and go to the mall to replicate it and look half as good. That's the difference between people who don't have a good eye for those things and instead rely on arbitrary rules they read in a magazine or here somewhere, can't put together an ensemble themselves so need a forum or catalog to do it for them, or who still struggle to pull off basics well. The tie thing can be done, but if you have to ask, you probably can't pull it off

13. breakz

breakz Senior member

All the pieces work really well as a whole. All the details including facial hair, actual hair work with the outfit. The layering looks well done but not stuffy. The stuff fits him really well (note that fitting well doesn't only mean fitting skinny) for his body and aesthetic. All the small things are clicking. He obviously has a fine eye for detail, fit, proportions, color, textures, layering, styling, etc... Basically, his look works. I don't think the average person will be able to look at that and go to the mall to replicate it and look half as good.

That's the difference between people who don't have a good eye for those things and instead rely on arbitrary rules they read in a magazine or here somewhere, can't put together an ensemble themselves so need a forum or catalog to do it for them, or who still struggle to pull off basics well. The tie thing can be done, but if you have to ask, you probably can't pull it off

I can absolutely see what you mean, and I bolded one part I agree with strongly. I'm not a fan of workwear but he does look comfortable in his clothes and they seem to suit him.

14. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I think the rise on daiki's pants is like 3 or 4 yards

15. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

I think the rise on daiki's pants is like 3 or 4 yards

this is supposed to be vintage workwear stuff. I think .5-1 rods would be more appropriate

16. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

sooo... the guys at context also have no eyes for style? they must not, according to these posts, because i don't think they would stock something that they though would make the wearer look stupid. regardless of why the model wears it. and yes, its obvious they model them to sell them, but do you really think they would just slap some shit together and put it on their website if they didn't like it

17. JonHecht

JonHecht Senior member

I'm trying to pull one off today, if you look at the WAYWT thread, but it's probably a failure.

18. breakz

breakz Senior member

sooo... the guys at context also have no eyes for style? they must not, according to these posts, because i don't think they would stock something that they though would make the wearer look stupid. regardless of why the model wears it. and yes, its obvious they model them to sell them, but do you really think they would just slap some shit together and put it on their website if they didn't like it
    Don't straw man this. I love the majority of their buys, and no one said the dudes at Context have no style. Their motivation for putting ties on casually-dressed models is simple: money. As for "slapping some shit together," boutiques have to sell looks they don't believe in to capture market share. Look, consider: which picture moves more of their units? This [​IMG] or this? [​IMG] If you thought about copying that second photo...that's not a realistically good look. The shirt looks like it belongs under a sports coat/blazer of some kind.

19. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

i don't "copy" anything, and no, i would not wear the second look. the point im trying to drive home is that some people on this forum reject all looks which arent commonly seen on this forum. the fact that even though a look doesnt have the coveted sf seal of approval doesnt mean it cant work. this forum consists of a lot of people with for the most part similar taste, which is fine, but it often comes off as being narrow minded.

20. breakz

breakz Senior member

Key: the pieces should be casual in and of themselves--you can't just toss a silk tie onto a plaid cotton shirt and expect results. That'd be like wearing EG with tapered jeans. Your look has to create the proper context for a tie.
    i don't "copy" anything, and no, i would not wear the second look. the point im trying to drive home is that some people on this forum reject all looks which arent commonly seen on this forum. the fact that even though a look doesnt have the coveted sf seal of approval doesnt mean it cant work. this forum consists of a lot of people with for the most part similar taste, which is fine, but it often comes off as being narrow minded.
    The idea of SF isn't to get a "seal of approval." Dress however the fuck you want, then when posting a fit consider the source of any comments. If I was going for vintage/workwear I'd listen to Bobo and robin, if classier/suiting I'd listen to PG. You will get called out for things that don't work, though. The dude wearing a red V-neck + tie is an example--he looked very scholarly. Mess around with fits and see what works. The problem here is that you, specifically, want to dress relatively well (per your previous posts) instead of universally well. That's cool but then SF may not be for you.