• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H. Lesser fabric advice

pdizzle

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was hoping to commission a charcoal grey suit (single breasted, with double-breasted lapels), with material from the the H. Lesser 13oz or 16oz book. In particular, I was hoping to wear the suit with matching trousers, as well as formal/morning trousers. I assume this necessitates a dark shade of grey.

Unfortunately, my tailor and I are without access to the books, so I was hoping that someone on the forum could recommend a charcoal cloth. I have access to Harrison's P&B, but would prefer something with a smoother finish.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
P

pdizzle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Call Jodek Intl in Los Angeles. They are Lesser's reps in the U.S. and will get you swatches.

Thanks Will, but I am located in Sydney Australia, so it might be too much of an inconvenience for them given I won't be ordering fabric through them.

I have someone who can ship me through the fabric, but requires an article number to send through swatches.

Cheers,
P

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, Aussie Moist, check it out dude: http://www.hlesser.co.uk/ [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
agents_australia.gif
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tony Wain Agencies 68 Iris Road Glen Iris Victoria 3146[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tel. 03 5989 8601 Mob. 0407 557 292 [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][email protected] [/FONT][/FONT]

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A dark grey pick-and-pick would be a good place to start. Perhaps also an oxford grey herringbone.

If you can't get Lesser easily, the Hardy/Minnis books are on-line.

pdizzle

Reaction score
Thank you all.

An adjunct question - would jacket made from oxford grey herringbone (like 74175 from the P&B Universal book) work with morning trousers, or would I be better off going with the oxford grey twill?

Thanks,
P

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tony is a great guy and easy to reach. He replies to e-mails very quickly and is more than happy to get swatches out to you.

courty

Reaction score
I have not seen the newest Lesser 16 ounce cloths but Lesser used to have, and may still, some great dark greys in this range.

29604 is a very dark grey in something of a sharkskin weave (but without the stepped effect of the weave). 29602 is a similar cloth but a shade or two lighter. 29628 is also great - a very dark grey in a narrow herringbone. You may want to see if these cloths are still available and ask for some patterns.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Call Jodek Intl in Los Angeles. They are Lesser's reps in the U.S. and will get you swatches.

Does Jodek, International mail the swatches (which are about the size of a credit card, IIRC) for free? Or, do they charge for the swatches that they mail (and if so, how much if they do charge?)?

I just put in a request for some swatches from the H. Lesser & Sons Heavyweight Fine Worsted Suiting Collection (16-ounces) about ten minutes ago via email.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
Tony is a great guy and easy to reach. He replies to e-mails very quickly and is more than happy to get swatches out to you.

What is Tony's work schedule? Is he the only employee or the primary employee at Jodek, International (in Beverly Hills, California) that replies to emails?

As I said before, earlier this afternoon (at about 12:30PM Eastern Daylight Time) I emailed Jodek, International requesting swatches for seven fabrics (fabric numbers 29612, 29614, 29678, 29680, 29682, 29686 and 29688) from the H. Lesser & Sons Heavyweight Fine Worsted Suiting Collection (16-ounces).

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdizzle
Thanks Courty!

I've asked for swatches.

Are you going to get charged for the swatches that you requested pdizzle? If so, how much are you going to get charged for them?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
As I said before, earlier this afternoon (at about 12:30PM Eastern Daylight Time)

Which one is this? I cannot find it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads