• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hopkins_student kills intruder with samurai sword

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
If the court system had kept him in prison after 29 robberies, he'd be alive right now.

And the hopkins dude would not be dealing with the trauma of killing a man for the rest of his life. He should sue the judge who let the guy free personally.

I can certainly understand the first sentiment, but we cannot blame past actions for our present actions. He acted independent of the knowledge, he was presented with a situation and he did what he did. Personal responsibility.

The latter statement would lead to any law violation resulting in life in prison sentence if taken to an extrapolated solution. Maybe he received and served 5 years for robbery then did it again, does that mean you can sue because the sentence wasn't long enough? Obviously I am not being entirely serious but you see my point. If we start to hold an imperfect system up for perfection there would be chaos.

The judge should face some sort of action though.

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
That's a slippery slope. How much are you willing to let another person steal before you intervene?

What if he steals everything you own? What if he steals what you own which places you in harms way - let's say you lose everything and the consequences are you wake up every morning hunting for food, looking for jobs, etc. At what point do you say, "Hey buddy, lay off my stuff." ? And if you do say that, then the only difference is your value of human life rather than your beliefs.

That is a good question because in this day with identity theft one could be evicted and have debt put upon them to cause repossession or sale to pay off debts in the worst case. Essentially having your possessions stolen in a non life threatening way.

At that point I would use the legal system, my friends and family to at the very least stop the theft and at best to recover possessions and bring the thief the justice.

I may want to kill him, but I would not kill him to make him stop.

edit: well at least let me clarify that last statement to be that I sincerely hope I would not kill him since I have not been in the situation as outlined above and don't believe in absolutes in human nature.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Was the Hopkins_student a muslin? maybe he was just exercising his Constitutionally protected freedom of religion in exigent circumstances. I'm sure if he had had more time he would have procured a proper scimitar instead of the wakizashi.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Was the Hopkins_student a muslin? maybe he was just exercising his Constitutionally protected freedom of religion in exigent circumstances. I'm sure if he had had more time he would have procured a proper scimitar instead of the wakizashi.

Not a scimitar you otherizing postcolonialist! A yataghan.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
why would owning a katana be nerdy? anyone that practices kendo or something similar would disagree.

yeah but everybody who does kendo or iido are nerds, fact

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Yet again you pwn my joke.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
That is a good question because in this day with identity theft one could be evicted and have debt put upon them to cause repossession or sale to pay off debts in the worst case. Essentially having your possessions stolen in a non life threatening way. At that point I would use the legal system, my friends and family to at the very least stop the theft and at best to recover possessions and bring the thief the justice. I may want to kill him, but I would not kill him to make him stop. edit: well at least let me clarify that last statement to be that I sincerely hope I would not kill him since I have not been in the situation as outlined above and don't believe in absolutes in human nature.
You seem to be under the impression you have a decent shot a finding the thief. You cannot prosecute the thief if you do not have his identity. In reality, I have been informed it is unlikely, in the event you did not confront the robber that he would be caught (10% or less).

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Yet again you pwn my joke.

I could never pwn you j. Your sense of humor is more refreshingly dry than one of my infamous martinis.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I could never pwn you j. Your sense of humor is more refreshingly dry than my ______________________.

I think I know why you are pissed.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A talwar.

Also, GQgeek, it's flattering but a bit frightening that you track my every post on teh fora.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

yatagan3.jpg

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
yatagan3.jpg

I would have thought you prefer Coup de Fouet.

Corniche

Reaction score
I´ve been assaulted today in my beach villa by a marroquian.

I had no katana...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads