• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mozart really is the best.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Manton will hate me for saying it but I like a lot of Liszt's compositions.

Manton probably hates you for a number of reasons, that being the least of them.
teacha.gif

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won't argue (because the music speaks for itself), but Beethoven did, in fact, become Haydn's pupil only to pwnz0r the old man with his revolutionary compositions and refusal to cater to the aristocracy's taste for

Mozart's music is certainly more "natural" than Beethoven's, but to seek to elevate the former on that basis is to miss the point entirely. Beethoven was the first composer to humanize music - that is, to render it PSYCHOLOGICAL. It is this very "strain", as you correctly call it, which makes him the grand-master of musical composition still to this day. In fact, it is on this very basis that I sympathize with the many dozens of my peers who can scarcely listen to Mozart for this very reason: his music is TOO natural, seldom human. I don't prescribe to this view entirely, but I certainly view his Requiem as an exception to the rule.

Again, I won't argue much on this point. Suffice it to say that Beethoven and Bach are the two pillars of Western classical music in my eyes, and that I can scarcely take any man's opinions seriously who would say that Mozart is their superior in any qualitative sense whatsoever.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherman90
I won't argue (because the music speaks for itself), but Beethoven did, in fact, become Haydn's pupil only to pwnz0r the old man with his revolutionary compositions and refusal to cater to the aristocracy's taste for Mozart's music is certainly more "natural" than Beethoven's, but to seek to elevate the former on that basis is to miss the point entirely. Beethoven was the first composer to humanize music - that is, to render it PSYCHOLOGICAL. It is this very "strain", as you correctly call it, which makes him the grand-master of musical composition still to this day. In fact, it is on this very basis that I sympathize with the many dozens of my peers who can scarcely listen to Mozart for this very reason: his music is TOO natural, seldom human. I don't prescribe to this view entirely, but I certainly view his Requiem as an exception to the rule. Again, I won't argue much on this point. Suffice it to say that Beethoven and Bach are the two pillars of Western classical music in my eyes, and that I can scarcely take any man's opinions seriously who would say that Mozart is their superior in any qualitative sense whatsoever.
WTF does that even mean? Sounds like pseudo-academic mental masturbation.
confused.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
confused.gif

+1
have no idea .

who cares about how deep-founded our musical historical knowledge is. i know some of it, but i still like whomever for its beauty to me. and everyone else loves what they love because it stirs them in a certain way , or they have some personal experience relating to that music. whatevers.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
confused.gif

Keep listening. In fact, listen to the entire canon of Western classical music before Beethoven and then throw on the Pathetique sonata, or the Appassionata, or Les Adieux; or better yet, skip to Op. 111 and have a box of tissues nearby. Or if piano concertos are your thing, put on the third; or if you prefer string quartets, put on the Razumovski. And then return to Mozart, or Palestrina, or even Monteverdi and you'll get my drift...you'll see what Beethoven did for music and why, in many ways, the entire Romantic era of individualism and liberalism and self-identity - of which we're still very much a part - was forefathered by the Master. In fact, some say Beethoven was the predecessor to Freud.

It's one thing to call something intellectual diatribe because you can't relate to it; another if you have the experiential conviction that it's not true. I wish I could find Claudio Arrau's old quotations on why Beethoven's music is so profoundly meaningful. In the meantime, if you can afford it here's an amazing and little-known book on the history of music. The author, a well-established British composer who's works are only now being recorded (mostly on Chandos), has some pretty amazing things to say about what Beethoven did for humanity...yes, for humanity!

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Secret-I...3134077&sr=8-1

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
confused.gif

OP's description may not have been the best, but what he wrote is the essence of the Romantic movement. --Andre

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like Schubert best of all, but I know next to nothing about classical music. But for whatever reason, his string quartets and quintets bring tears to my eyes every time.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Mozart blows. Too many notes.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hypersonic
One of my all-time favourites -- I love it.

Mozart Piano concerto N°23-Adagio
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

And one of the best dance pieces ever made to this sublime piece of music, Jiri Kylian's Petite Mort:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

--Andre

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Mozart blows. Too many notes.

Which notes should be taken out, your majesty?

hypersonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
And one of the best dance pieces ever made to this sublime piece of music, Jiri Kylian's Petite Mort:

--Andre

cheers.gif
Thanks for the vid.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I like Schubert best of all, but I know next to nothing about classical music. But for whatever reason, his string quartets and quintets bring tears to my eyes every time.

Schubert was best known for his lieder. Try picking up a CD of his Winterreise, complete with libretto. Very, very beautiful, stirring music.

http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Die-W...3140565&sr=8-1

Have you heard his 8th symphony? It's unfinished, but considered among his greatest. In terms of its emotional content, it's a far cry from the very sweet, melodic symphonies he wrote leading up to it.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherman90
Have you heard his 8th symphony? It's unfinished, but considered among his greatest. In terms of its emotional content, it's a far cry from the very sweet, melodic symphonies he wrote leading up to it.

+1, the 8th is great for n00bs. very accessible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads