• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beards in a professional setting

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The inconsistent growth pattern of your beard means that it's probably not going to look neat and clean, no matter how you trim it. With age, you may find that you can grow a better beard. For now, I'd say scrap it.

kinsmanw

Reaction score
Hi guys. I read the thread with interest. I've just recently started to grow a beard and am wondering if you can suggest any good barbers or barbers/ Men's grooming salons that will shape my beard. I'm a 30 year old professional and have never grown a beard before and have currently 3 weeks of untouched (and just easing itchiness!!) growth. I'm based in Melbourne. Any advice/ suggestions would be great.
Cheers.

BTW - I agree with a lot of the thread contributors. Keep it neat and trimmed.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, scruff has no place in the office, unless you're the CEO, approaching sixty, and have a full, grandfatherish beard. As a new recruit, you ought to be looking hungry, young and eager to work.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps, if you go for a more conservative hairstyle, i.e., a bit longer and parted.

paul-ken-harry-season3.jpg

Artigas

Reaction score

Cognacad

Reaction score
I disagree with alot of comments here. I think if you have a great beard its an ASSET in any industry (except if it involves wearing gas masks).
usflw004001.jpg
Like that works for sure. You need to keep it trimmed though. I trim mine every few days. Not great pics but good beard examples of me:
5736_546657902235_121402154_32797057_8172072_n.jpg
n121402154_32394221_4954.jpg
If it is patchy at any time get rid of it, has to be consistent. Mine is at the border of consistency, so as thick as possible is best. Also, the neck has to be shaved, no if ands or buts. Also, other than in the unkept picture you seem to be able to rock the beard out well!

lachlanf

Reaction score
just to kind of tie this up; I'm keeping it for the time being. I've trimmed it back on whats in those pics, and heavily shaped the chin and jaw area with scissors so it's squarer and contours my face rather than rounding it. the neck is most certainly shaved with a sharp line. It is patchy around the cheeks, but I don't think it's so bad, and if I keep it for another 2-3 years I think it will be quite dark and full around there, given how it has darkened up in the last 1-2 (I'm only 23 as a reference).

On the comment re a more conservative haircut; I've also gone even shorter on top when I trimmed the beard, and think it looks cleaner and neater, but before I start the job at the end of november I will grow it right out so I can do something a touch more classic looking. I spent a good couple of years doing a side part (with clean shaven face) and think it looks fine, but in keeping with the slightly edgier facial hair, and just to try something new, I'm probably going to give a straight back slightly slicked look a go (and probably end up looking massively german with my blonde locks).

and finally, to the negative comment regarding listening to my girlfriends opinion; if I think the beard is every getting in the way of promotions it will go very fast, but in the meantime I've gotten the job by impressing upon people that I'm eminently capable, the very people who will dole out any promotions I receive for at least the next 3 years. So, since the beard isn't hindering me, and given that I still completely wear the pants in the relationship, why wouldn't I listen to her opinion on my looks as a kindness?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
While I think your beard looks all right, I find facial hair a little wrong in most professional settings. I also think a beard can make you older, not in a good way.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the norms down under, but I can tell you in the US a beard on an entry-level (or really any position) corporate employee is wrong, wrong, wrong. Even more so in conservative, client-facing fields such as law, banking and audits.

You just don't see it. When/if you do see a guy sporting a beard, it would be almost impossible to concentrate on anything else.

To your fellow employees, you would be 'the guy with the beard.'

Personally I would have no part of hiring a kid that lacked the sense to come into an interview with a beard. It's just that abnormal (here at least.)

Shave it and count yourself lucky they hired you! Don't listen to the jerkoffs in this thread supporting the beard.

Cognacad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
I'm not sure of the norms down under, but I can tell you in the US a beard on an entry-level (or really any position) corporate employee is wrong, wrong, wrong. Even more so in conservative, client-facing fields such as law, banking and audits. You just don't see it. When/if you do see a guy sporting a beard, it would be almost impossible to concentrate on anything else. To your fellow employees, you would be 'the guy with the beard.' Personally I would have no part of hiring a kid that lacked the sense to come into an interview with a beard. It's just that abnormal (here at least.) Shave it and count yourself lucky they hired you! Don't listen to the jerkoffs in this thread supporting the beard.
Ahhh yes you are right, your opinion is far superior to mine! After all, I am a jerkoff! Edit: Looking good is important, obviously. If you look better with a beard than without, then it might be a good thing. Also, if you are young and looking older is a good thing (which is often the case in early 20's) then it is a good thing. If you are dealing with people, they like to think you have experience. The clean shaven 21 year old looks like a 21 year old.

lachlanf

Reaction score
While I'm not going to otherwise argue with you, this is a massively exaggerated statement-

When/if you do see a guy sporting a beard, it would be almost impossible to concentrate on anything else.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
original poster - where do you live?

i work for corporate america, but i also work in austin, tx which is known for being a lot more lax about things like facial hair . . . even tattoos.

anyway i go through the same logic as you do when i'm deciding my 'look' - if i'm sporting the beard, i like to have a very clean, haircut like very long on top, but very clean tapered sides, and slicked in a part - almost vintage like.

if my hair is a little shaggier, i'll either be clean shaven or 3 day stubble.

when i'm shaggy and bearded, it looks too messy. when i'm clean shaven and have a clean haircut, i like 19.

Cognacad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lachlanf
While I'm not going to otherwise argue with you, this is a massively exaggerated statement-

haha indeed. Perhaps he has a fetish?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they look good after a certain age. Young men in beards look like pretenders. Asian and (dot) Indian men also look particularly good with beards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads