1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Beards in a professional setting

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by lachlanf, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Cognacad

Cognacad Senior member

I disagree with alot of comments here. I think if you have a great beard its an ASSET in any industry (except if it involves wearing gas masks). [​IMG] Like that works for sure. You need to keep it trimmed though. I trim mine every few days. Not great pics but good beard examples of me: [​IMG] [​IMG] If it is patchy at any time get rid of it, has to be consistent. Mine is at the border of consistency, so as thick as possible is best. Also, the neck has to be shaved, no if ands or buts. Also, other than in the unkept picture you seem to be able to rock the beard out well!

2. lachlanf

lachlanf Member

just to kind of tie this up; I'm keeping it for the time being. I've trimmed it back on whats in those pics, and heavily shaped the chin and jaw area with scissors so it's squarer and contours my face rather than rounding it. the neck is most certainly shaved with a sharp line. It is patchy around the cheeks, but I don't think it's so bad, and if I keep it for another 2-3 years I think it will be quite dark and full around there, given how it has darkened up in the last 1-2 (I'm only 23 as a reference).

On the comment re a more conservative haircut; I've also gone even shorter on top when I trimmed the beard, and think it looks cleaner and neater, but before I start the job at the end of november I will grow it right out so I can do something a touch more classic looking. I spent a good couple of years doing a side part (with clean shaven face) and think it looks fine, but in keeping with the slightly edgier facial hair, and just to try something new, I'm probably going to give a straight back slightly slicked look a go (and probably end up looking massively german with my blonde locks).

and finally, to the negative comment regarding listening to my girlfriends opinion; if I think the beard is every getting in the way of promotions it will go very fast, but in the meantime I've gotten the job by impressing upon people that I'm eminently capable, the very people who will dole out any promotions I receive for at least the next 3 years. So, since the beard isn't hindering me, and given that I still completely wear the pants in the relationship, why wouldn't I listen to her opinion on my looks as a kindness?

3. Robert

Robert Senior member

While I think your beard looks all right, I find facial hair a little wrong in most professional settings. I also think a beard can make you older, not in a good way.

4. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

I'm not sure of the norms down under, but I can tell you in the US a beard on an entry-level (or really any position) corporate employee is wrong, wrong, wrong. Even more so in conservative, client-facing fields such as law, banking and audits.

You just don't see it. When/if you do see a guy sporting a beard, it would be almost impossible to concentrate on anything else.

To your fellow employees, you would be 'the guy with the beard.'

Personally I would have no part of hiring a kid that lacked the sense to come into an interview with a beard. It's just that abnormal (here at least.)

Shave it and count yourself lucky they hired you! Don't listen to the jerkoffs in this thread supporting the beard.

5. Cognacad

Cognacad Senior member

I'm not sure of the norms down under, but I can tell you in the US a beard on an entry-level (or really any position) corporate employee is wrong, wrong, wrong. Even more so in conservative, client-facing fields such as law, banking and audits. You just don't see it. When/if you do see a guy sporting a beard, it would be almost impossible to concentrate on anything else. To your fellow employees, you would be 'the guy with the beard.' Personally I would have no part of hiring a kid that lacked the sense to come into an interview with a beard. It's just that abnormal (here at least.) Shave it and count yourself lucky they hired you! Don't listen to the jerkoffs in this thread supporting the beard.
    Ahhh yes you are right, your opinion is far superior to mine! After all, I am a jerkoff! Edit: Looking good is important, obviously. If you look better with a beard than without, then it might be a good thing. Also, if you are young and looking older is a good thing (which is often the case in early 20's) then it is a good thing. If you are dealing with people, they like to think you have experience. The clean shaven 21 year old looks like a 21 year old.

6. lachlanf

lachlanf Member

While I'm not going to otherwise argue with you, this is a massively exaggerated statement-

7. sbbbjm

sbbbjm Senior member

original poster - where do you live?

i work for corporate america, but i also work in austin, tx which is known for being a lot more lax about things like facial hair . . . even tattoos.

anyway i go through the same logic as you do when i'm deciding my 'look' - if i'm sporting the beard, i like to have a very clean, haircut like very long on top, but very clean tapered sides, and slicked in a part - almost vintage like.

if my hair is a little shaggier, i'll either be clean shaven or 3 day stubble.

when i'm shaggy and bearded, it looks too messy. when i'm clean shaven and have a clean haircut, i like 19.

8. Cognacad

Cognacad Senior member

While I'm not going to otherwise argue with you, this is a massively exaggerated statement-

haha indeed. Perhaps he has a fetish?

9. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I think they look good after a certain age. Young men in beards look like pretenders. Asian and (dot) Indian men also look particularly good with beards.

10. Cognacad

Cognacad Senior member

Was that sarcasm? Asians with beards?

11. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Theoretically, I suppose it depends. Specifically, in your case, I think you would look more professional without it. Makes you look a bit hipster. especially if you work at a full suit and tie place, then maybe it's a no... if you're at a shirt and pants only type job then you could get away with it. [​IMG]

12. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Was that sarcasm? Asians with beards?

It's rare, and most cant grow them, but when they do I think it looks great.

13. Exalt

Exalt Senior member

I think they look good after a certain age. Young men in beards look like pretenders. Asian and (dot) Indian men also look particularly good with beards.

<---Indian man with a beard, but kept very short. Definitely not in business, though!

14. sbbbjm

sbbbjm Senior member

i'm asian, i have a beard, i get compliments all the time.

15. Cognacad

Cognacad Senior member

I want a picture of these nice asian beards. I can't even picture it and google doesn't help as much as I had hoped.

16. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Judge Ito, remember him?

[​IMG]

Aquarist Takashi Amano

[​IMG]

Animator Hayao Miyazaki

[​IMG]

17. jimbo123

jimbo123 Senior member

18. Cognacad

Cognacad Senior member

Well done sir. Those are pretty good. I must say they are a rare exception though unfortunately.

19. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

You do see some, mostly after they retire though since Asian corporate culture is draconian.

20. Unbreakable

Unbreakable Senior member

*sigh* I'm envious of all this beard talk. I will be 28 next month and every time I try to grow a beard it looks like a dog with the mange. I guess I'm forever cursed with a baby face [​IMG]