• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drinking >1G of water a day

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gotham
Psst I'm a doctor too and most people in the medical profession no jack **** about these things

I'm not a doctor.

I just play one on TV.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Psst I'm a doctor too and most people in the medical profession no jack **** about these things

but at least they KNOW how to spell KNOW?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
Doctor told me once that if you have to pee soon after you drink a lot of water its just going through you and not much benefit

i heard this actually means you're hydrated and is when it's most beneficial

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They didnt cover spelling in med school

Apparently they didn't cover grammar either.

I also play a teacher on TV.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drink water till your urine is clear. If it's clear you're hydrated. After that, it's too much.

chenc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oroy38
My regimen is about the same (add about 50 cycling miles and 5 running miles) and some weight lifting, and I put down maybe a gallon and a half. Maybe 2 gallons if it's roasting outside and i'm losing A LOT of fluid, and all the while I still take in electrolytes. But for the most part, about 1-1.5 gallons on most days. I've heard of people weighing themselves before and after working out to see if their weight is the same. If their weight is the same (assuming they were adequately hydrated beforehand), then they're doing a good job of replenishing their fluids. I'm not sure of the validity, but it makes sense I guess. Of course, this doesn't account for any electrolytes.
The statement about drinking lots of water depletes electrolytes got me curious, so I checked the label of several multivitamins I have used (from GNC and Centrum). I was delighted to find that they all provide calcium, magnesium, zinc, chromium, chloride, etc. - what I found in some electrolyte supplement.

SoHoJoejoe

Reaction score
A friend of mine used to think she was getting enough water because of her light colour, she was really just malnourished.
If you take B vitamins (B12 specifically) or some other substances I can't remember off the top of my head, you'll have distinctly darker urine.

As an interesting aside, this is a trick used in hacking urine tests. You can drink a lot of water to dilute the results to the point where it may be below the parts per mililitre required. To counter this, they check the color and sometimes protein levels, specifically creatine. Taking vitamin B and some creatine with a large amount of water is a method to try to recounter these dilution countermeasures.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I drink 3-4 liters a day when I fly. it keep me hydrated and it forces me to wake up and piss, forcing me to walk around every hour or so.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just drank a gram of water.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics